Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
That's Nice Nick !
Those fall colors give a great backdrop to gaze at .

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took a couple of my kids up to Ashland, headed east and we drove all around Lake Superior and ended up in Ashland again. In Canada, swore if I saw another tree would scream with zillions of mosquito that never saw humans before, but they knew exactly what to do with us.

Only interesting part of the trip was between Thunder Bay and Duluth. Most of Wisconsin is nothing more than more trees. Some of the Apostle Islands have virgin forests, but need your own boat to get there, but leave your chain saw at home.

·
2,254 Posts
I'm originally from Kenosha, but we vacation in Tomahawk or Fremont every year. Last time I was in Tomahawk I got eaten alive by Mosquitos. Probably had almost 2 dozen bites. Darn things resisted the bug spray! Sure is beautiful up there though. Would move if there was jobs.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's why I love to fish ten miles out into Lake Michigan. Use to live in Waukegan, had family down there. In my first neighborhood, Many of them worked at Nash in Kenosha, so to be kind, I purchased a Rambler, is Nash still there?

Uncles in Milwaukee use to drive these things.

Called then upsidedown bathtubs.

If its not the mosquito, its the Deer flies.

I had to start my own business to come up here.

·
2,254 Posts
The Nash/AMC plant was tore down several years ago. It's weird, talk about one big open area, and It's all fenced in. Kenosha has changed so much I barely recognize it anymore.

You aren't kidding about the deer flies too.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Earlier this week drove to the upper peninsula of Michigan from SW Wisconsin. Was shocked that even in November once north of Greenbay I had to stop every 50-100 miles to clean my windshield from all the bugs.

EDIT: I should add that even with cooler temperatures and winter gas, managed 42mpg(pump calculated) over 750 miles.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha, should have visited Orlando in the late 50's, couldn't even get out of your car without being eaten alive. Or even stop for a bit, didn't have AC back then.

This sure changed when we were there about a year and a half ago, stayed in a practically brand new building on a time share, no screens on the windows nor the doors.

Gathering since a lot of people moved down south, all these pests moved north.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Earlier this week drove to the upper peninsula of Michigan from SW Wisconsin. Was shocked that even in November once north of Greenbay I had to stop every 50-100 miles to clean my windshield from all the bugs.

EDIT: I should add that even with cooler temperatures and winter gas, managed 42mpg(pump calculated) over 750 miles.
I can stand on my front bumper to clean my windshield on my motorhome because its only eleven feet tall. But had to ask guys how they clean these new motorhomes that are thirteen feet tall. They tell me they have a long stick.

This is what I mean:

View attachment 169338

That little tiny thing on the left is mine, but not even tempted to buy one like that on the right, with low railroad underpasses in town, would really have to take the long way to get out of here. Ha, you can ask semi truck drivers when they try to go under these things, funny if its not you.

Only a 27 footer, did find a nice 31 footer, because my wife would like a queen sized bed, but she said no, don't use it that much. Ironically they use the same 454 and drivetrain for anything from a 24 to a 43 footer, but sure pay the price in reduced fuel economy.

But we manage to get by without a washer and a dryer, but gotta have my microwave and a generator, I run on coffee, also nice to have a rest room nearby.

But sure seemed way to big when I got water in my gas tank, good thing I had two tanks to choose from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts