Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to Virginia (DC area) next month and I've found out that I have to do emissions testing and a general vehicle inspection. The things I'm worried about is the fact that I have a tune, a cold air intake and the ZZP downpipe which eliminates the first cat.

How in depth do these inspections go? Are they likely to notice my missing cat? The car throws a code right now for the missing cat, but from what I understand I can remedy that through the tuning software.

Any VA users here that can shed some light on this process?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
If you have any codes stored your car will not pass emissions, don't know if they do any actual inspections though.

·
10,713 Posts
Depends, most places visual check and will pass you. My 1st cat is deleted by an OEM up pipe from the next years up(it was prone to kill the turbo and was eliminated) and it passed flying colors. In Ohio I had issues where they went by the book for my model year and I ended up keeping my VA plates. This is my Subaru so there were no AWD rollers just OBD and sniffer. You can ask around most gas stations with a service shop can get you squared away. Beware, NoVa cops are safety sticker snipers so when I do drive to VA in that car I usualy duck into the 1st station I see and get my 15 day fail window sticker.

In short, they want to see a cat like object on your exhaust, (2) o2 sensors, no CEL and no airbag light to complete safety and emissions.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Milwaukee sure got lax on this, had six state inspection stations for the standard CO, HC, NOx emissions. Now just checking vehicles with a scanner to learn if their are any hidden codes, and of course the check engine lamp should be off.

Going back to history with O2 sensors, was originally propose that one should be used for each cylinder, too expensive was the marketing reply. So only one could be used with a minor disadvantage, if one cylinder misfired, excess oxygen, so the other cylinders would be enriched with the bad side effect of burning up the catalytic converter. And of course, the entire engine would run rough.

On some V-6 and V-8 engines, two were used for each bank for bit of extra control, least only one bank would run rich. Then the adding of the second O2 sensor downstream, kind of questionable in the sense that now we have two O2 sensors that do wear out to replace. It essentially should trail the primary O2 sensor, if it fails, will kick out a code.

Guess you will have to return it back to stock. Either this or try to get the source code and modify it. Or move to an area that doesn't have required inspections.

When my stepdaughter moved to Milwaukee was in a bit of a surprise, can't even drive your car without that inspection. Major effort for me was to find an honest shop. To easy for these private inspectors to add a problem and charge you a fortune for repairs.

·
10,713 Posts
Nah you should pass so long as you have (2) o2 sensors even if the tune ignores the downstream one and no Cel. My only issue was safety, my interior came from a totaled car and the airbag connectors aren't compatible. I have no factory cats or mufflers on my car, they almost failed me because the location of the o2 on the downpipe was hard to see with a simple mirror under. You are going to Shell, Sonoco, BP or a speed shop for the state inspections in VA and MD.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
For information only:

"UNITED STATES ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20460
OFFICE OF
AIR AND RADIATION
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT USING, INSTALLING, OR
BUYING AFTERMARKET CATALYTIC CONVERTERS
As of January 1, 1988, all persons engaged in the business of automotive service and repair,
as well as other parties named in section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act*, are prohibited from
installing or selling aftermarket catalytic converters which have not met the criteria of EPA's interim
enforcement policy entitled 'Sale and Use of Aftermarket Catalytic Converters'* (published on
August 5, 1986). The installation of non-complying converters by a named party will be considered
a violation of section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act, and the violator may be subject to a civil
penalty of up to $25,000 for each improper installation.
EPA's aftermarket converter policy also requires installers to maintain certain records
pertaining to the aftermarket converters they install.
This fact sheet has been prepared by the EPA to explain the aftermarket converter policy and
to answer questions you are likely to have. If you need any further information about this policy,
please call EPA at (202) 564-9240. If you have a complaint about someone who may have violated
these requirements, please call (734) 214-4877 or (202) 564-1033.

Rest of it can be read at:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

A straight pipe would be interpreted as an unapproved catalytic converter. Other such laws exist on any tampering with any of the emission control devices. In addition to federal laws, extra fines could be included by your state.

My own opinion of our EPA is not the greatest, never helped us in solving emission problems common in industry, either fine us or shut us down. Another is localizing emission problems to a specific location like its a local problem, not a world problem. Basically to the confines of the USA and only to non-military industries, NASA and the military are out of their jurisdiction.

Working around this is easy, just move manufacturing across the border, southern is very ideal for this. With the minor side effect of taking our jobs with it.

Would be nice if we had an EPA that would help our industries solve problems, but they don't work this way. And major targets are individuals. The smaller you are, the larger target you are.

·
10,713 Posts
NickD your post is too large to quote over AG app.

Are you referring to the high flow ceramic cats that come inside a aftermarket up/down pipe (what I replaced 2 of 3 cats with to still pass), or custom straight pipe (in my case and actual Subaru stamped factory part used to eliminate a cat after my model year due to its failure rate and eating an already poor designed turbo)? The Subaru stamped part was VA passable but Ohio said it was only ok if I had the next model year and up(as the looked at the diagram for my year). Instead of finding a gutted cat, add mufflers back, retune and scrape all my tint off I just send off for my VA stickers when they expire. Va says they didn't care as the car is Garaged outside of The state so long as I had safety stickers in the window if I drive into VA. Ohio didn't car as the Va DMV registration lists my current ohio address and active mil exempt from 30 days to re register when you move to new state. I have a passenger seat to fix the airbag light/safety sticker issue I just haven't the time to swap the seats out(passenger seats after my model year changed the location of sensors and pressure scale to detect a passenger in the seat). When the car was running I did still drive to Va to get emissions testing for piece of mind before I made the trip to NJ.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
VA emissions is easy to pass, I had many illegal stuff on my truck and they never cared.

·
Registered
625 Posts
As being a tech in va I have worked with many state inspectors end each is different. Some will let something pass as where some wont. Emissions is pretty cut and dry. Visual inspection that nothing is missing, broken ect and computer diag. They may question your dp and if they do put the oem part back on and take it in or just put it on before taking it in In the first place. Your will need to have the cel cleared and no pending codes. The intake will be fine as it does not hook up directly to the pcv system. My rec would be put the oem dp on clear the code and take it in. Come home put the dp back on datalog and send to Vince for a new tune with the o2 sensor reset.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
10,713 Posts
As being a tech in va I have worked with many state inspectors end each is different. Some will let something pass as where some wont. Emissions is pretty cut and dry. Visual inspection that nothing is missing, broken ect and computer diag. They may question your dp and if they do put the oem part back on and take it in or just put it on before taking it in In the first place. Your will need to have the cel cleared and no pending codes. The intake will be fine as it does not hook up directly to the pcv system. My rec would be put the oem dp on clear the code and take it in. Come home put the dp back on datalog and send to Vince for a new tune with the o2 sensor reset.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If you got tested and purchased 3 year registration, do you still have to go back and test before the 3 years is up?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts