Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thousands of Unsold Chevy Volts Sitting At Dealer Lots » AutoGuide.com News

I like the volt but I can't find the article I read a while ago that said if you figured in the cost of electricity and the price of the car a gasoline car was actually more economical car to drive.

I have a niece and husband who drive volts and are very happy with them and have no problems so maybe now is the time to get a deal on a volt.

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
My dealership has two stores in the Denver metro area. The one in Aurora can't sell a Volt to save their skins. The one in Lone Tree can't keep them on the lot. Aurora caters to people living in apartments, town homes, condos, etc. - basically multi-family units without garages. Lone Tree caters to a huge single family/garage base. Volt and other electric car owners need someplace to charge them and multi-family dwelling just doesn't have this infrastructure.

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
Thousands of Unsold Chevy Volts Sitting At Dealer Lots » AutoGuide.com News

I like the volt but I can't find the article I read a while ago that said if you figured in the cost of electricity and the price of the car a gasoline car was actually more economical car to drive.

I have a niece and husband who drive volts and are very happy with them and have no problems so maybe now is the time to get a deal on a volt.
Right in the middle of that article is another reason the 2014 and earlier Volts have stopped selling - 2015 Volt to have longer range. As soon as GM announced the pure EV range improvements for 2015 every single 2014 and earlier Volt became obsolete.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was going to buy a Volt before I bought my new Cruze diesel. The dealers around me all had 14s sitting around. The one dropped 4 grand off msrp, the dealer I bought the Cruze from was going to drop 9-10 grand off the msrp of theirs. It was still too much for me, especially since I got the Cruze for around 16 grand. Used Volts were more than the Cruze, and the dealers wouldn't play ball on them, even though most weren't sold and went to wholesale. One day I will buy a Volt. Much better than the Prius, I just don't think the price is right, it's basically an electric Cruze.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
I like the volt but I can't find the article I read a while ago that said if you figured in the cost of electricity and the price of the car a gasoline car was actually more economical car to drive..
I would venture to guess that it was before the natural gas boom dropped the price of electricity, and when the Volt was new enough that it was still more of a novelty than a real option. Now that it's the price of a loaded Cruze, and as infrastructure improves, it's not as relevant. Just a guess though.

I was actually very upset when I saw the prices that new Volts were coming down to. It would have been a pretty easy leap up to grab one. I am fortunate enough to live in a dense metro area where there are plenty of charging stations (supermarkets, beach parking, etc) and my daily commute is very well within range of a single charge.

But, my salesman never mentioned it. Too bad.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I decided to have some fun crunching a few numbers. It appears the 2015 Volt has a range of 38 miles on electric only. Let's suppose that you live 38 miles from work and can get a free charge for the ride home. Given 17.1 kWh battery* and national price of 12¢/kWh, that's $2.06 per round trip. (It would be $4.12, but you got a free fill-up at work.)
(* Charging efficiency isn't 100%, but I'm not sure what factor to input here. So I'll assume 100% for the moment.)

With the Cruze combined mileage of 30 MPG, and national gas price of $2.744/gal, that's $6.95/trip.

At 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, that a yearly cost of $536 for the Volt and $1,755 for the Cruze. Over 5 years, that's a savings of $6,358.

So yeah, if you can find a Volt for only $6,000 more than a Cruze .....

And people wonder why they aren't selling. If gas goes back to $5/gal, then the 5-year savings is more like $13,700.

But all of the above numbers are heavily stacked in the Volt's favor. I'd imagine the typical user's savings would be less. If you didn't charge at work and lived 38 miles round trip, then the 5-year $5/gal savings would be $5,500

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
I decided to have some fun crunching a few numbers. It appears the 2015 Volt has a range of 38 miles on electric only. Let's suppose that you live 38 miles from work and can get a free charge for the ride home. Given 17.1 kWh battery* and national price of 12¢/kWh, that's $2.06 per round trip. (It would be $4.12, but you got a free fill-up at work.)
(* Charging efficiency isn't 100%, but I'm not sure what factor to input here. So I'll assume 100% for the moment.)

With the Cruze combined mileage of 30 MPG, and national gas price of $2.744/gal, that's $6.95/trip.

At 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, that a yearly cost of $536 for the Volt and $1,755 for the Cruze. Over 5 years, that's a savings of $6,358.

So yeah, if you can find a Volt for only $6,000 more than a Cruze .....

And people wonder why they aren't selling. If gas goes back to $5/gal, then the 5-year savings is more like $13,700.

But all of the above numbers are heavily stacked in the Volt's favor. I'd imagine the typical user's savings would be less. If you didn't charge at work and lived 38 miles round trip, then the 5-year $5/gal savings would be $5,500
If you're like some of our ECO MT owners the numbers in favor of the Cruze are even better. My daily 48 mile round trip commute costs me under $3. My yearly commute costs me less than $800 in gas. With oil changes I'm still only around $900 a year for commuting.

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
is it more than 82 miles?
Try 100 miles. The "fastest" route is 106 miles and the shortest is 101. This type of metro area is a reality in most of the US.

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
I dont know what you mean by this statement
Outside the coasts, most of our metro areas (cities) have expanded to cover huge amounts of land space. Our coastal cities grew vertically and the rest grew horizontally.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
My commute (both ways) is well within the Volt's range, and in BC we have cheap hydro electric power. If it weren't for the high initial cost to purchase, the Volt would be THE ideal type of vehicle for me. I'm sure after quick chargers are common everywhere and the car's development costs are amortized, the cost will drop and popularity of electric cars will boom.

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
There are also some new battery technologies for smaller devices that can quick charge to 80% or so in 10-15 minutes. As these technologies scale to automotive use electric cars will be more and more competitive.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
There are also some new battery technologies for smaller devices that can quick charge to 80% or so in 10-15 minutes. As these technologies scale to automotive use electric cars will be more and more competitive.
Maybe. Sure, a fast charge will help. But the math I'm seeing say either fuel prices will have to climb a lot more, or the sales price difference is going to have to come down.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts