Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy,
New here but not new to Chevy (i drove a 2005 Cobalt LS for 4 years) I'm currently driving a 2009 Dodge Avenger SXT but have had my eyes on the Cruze ever since they were first announced. I plan to sell my Avenger with as little loss as possible this year and want to get into a Cruze but after driving a first year Cobalt, I'm wondering if I should wait until 2011. I'm also wanting a Cruze with the Turbo which is a little out of my price range at the moment. Hopefully they come down next year. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
It's all up to you really. I had 1 TSB performed on my Cruze, it took 10 minutes and I haven't been back to the dealer since. I don't think there will be many changes for a 2012 model

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's not really a first year model since it has been overseas for a year or two. I guess you could say the engine is in it's first year since I think only North America has the 1.4 turbo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's another question. I love the look of the car. But for the price up here in Canada i'd be over 20,000$ for the car I want. Why get a Cruze instead of paying a little bit less for a Kia Forte Koup with more Horsepower?

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Here's another question. I love the look of the car. But for the price up here in Canada i'd be over 20,000$ for the car I want. Why get a Cruze instead of paying a little bit less for a Kia Forte Koup with more Horsepower?
Spec'd out the Kia is just as much money ($22k for leather and remote start)

The interior of the Kia is what a "economy car" should be, the interior of a Cruze is closer to a Cadillac/entry BMW.

The base Koup has the same power as the Cruze, it's not until you get into the higher model you start to break away (40more hp)

The 1.4t will make way more power than the Forte after a tune and some mods (forged internals are stock on the 1.4)

In the end it's up to you. But IMO the Cruze is not even in the same class as a Forte - it's way higher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not a tuner in the sense that a CAI is the extent of what I would dump into a car. It's going to be tough to give up the V6 power of the Dodge...but i'm wanting to get back into the small car scene without giving up that 'get up and go' and i hear mixed views on the small 1.4t.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey guy,
New here but not new to Chevy (i drove a 2005 Cobalt LS for 4 years) I'm currently driving a 2009 Dodge Avenger SXT but have had my eyes on the Cruze ever since they were first announced. I plan to sell my Avenger with as little loss as possible this year and want to get into a Cruze but after driving a first year Cobalt, I'm wondering if I should wait until 2011. I'm also wanting a Cruze with the Turbo which is a little out of my price range at the moment. Hopefully they come down next year. What do you think?
Well, if you're going for a current-model Cruze in 2012 when they come out, I'm not sure you're going to get much of a discount. Also, if the current sales trends hold up, GM is not going to have any problems getting rid of 2011s.

I'll say this much: in November when I was car shopping, I test drove a 2010 Dodge Avenger SXT, with a list price of about $22,700. The dealer had dropped it and another Avenger they had on the lot down to $16,800 to try and move it, which really got my attention. (as of this posting, they still haven't sold either Avenger!)

I test drove it, and I test drove a Cruze with a sticker of over $18,000. The Cruze won out, hands down, even at the base LS level. The difference between the Avenger and the Cruze is night and day, so if you were to pull the trigger now, you wouldn't be disappointed. You'll be making a huge step up.

Not to put down the Avenger, but even coming from a guy who drove a Dodge (and loved it) for 5 years before coming to the Cruze, I could see in my test drive why Dodge is having trouble selling given its current lineup. They're just not in the same class anymore, and it's sad really.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, if you're going for a current-model Cruze in 2012 when they come out, I'm not sure you're going to get much of a discount. Also, if the current sales trends hold up, GM is not going to have any problems getting rid of 2011s.

I'll say this much: in November when I was car shopping, I test drove a 2010 Dodge Avenger SXT, with a list price of about $22,700. The dealer had dropped it and another Avenger they had on the lot down to $16,800 to try and move it, which really got my attention. (as of this posting, they still haven't sold either Avenger!)

I test drove it, and I test drove a Cruze with a sticker of over $18,000. The Cruze won out, hands down, even at the base LS level. The difference between the Avenger and the Cruze is night and day, so if you were to pull the trigger now, you wouldn't be disappointed. You'll be making a huge step up.

Not to put down the Avenger, but even coming from a guy who drove a Dodge (and loved it) for 5 years before coming to the Cruze, I could see in my test drive why Dodge is having trouble selling given its current lineup. They're just not in the same class anymore, and it's sad really.
I agree I more than likely wouldn't be dissapointed with either of those cars over my Avenger. I likely won't even be able to sell the Avenger for enough to keep me out of the red lol. I owe 15,000 on it as of this post. I may just pay down on it enough that I'll get a decent trade in towards the new car where I don't have to roll anything into the new payments.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
The best advice I can offer you Pat... go test drive both. Once you have, you'll see the Cruze wins in every aspect hands down

1 - 11 of 11 Posts