Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Wait for a 2013 Cruze Diesel or buy a 2012 Cruze LTZ now?

• 2012 Cruze LTZ

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • 2013 Cruze Diesel

Votes: 12 50.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 Cruze 1LT and love it. I am getting married November 3rd and my fiance has a 1998 Chevy Cavalier that is in really rough shape. I clearly can't have my wife driving something like that so I have for the most part given her the Cruze and went back to driving my 2000 Cadillac STS. I may be starting a new job 30 minutes away so I would need another fuel efficient vehicle. I have always been into customizing my vehicles and on the Cadillac I have aftermarket 18s, double-DIN TV, and Clifford Alarm/Remote start. I planned on putting aftermarket rims and navigation on my Cruze, but haven't saw many option I like. Therefore, I plan on buying my next Cruze fully loaded. If the Cruze diesel is only going to be available in ECO trims with limited options then I would probably be more likely to buy an LTZ. I also need to factor in is it worth waiting for the diesel and spending double in gas to continue driving my Cadillac compared to the MPG of a Cruze LTZ. MyLink is also very appealing to me, but will it likely even be offered on the Cruze Diesel?

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts
I'd go for the 2012. You can get 0% financing on it right now on a 48 month loan, and the dealers are going to be getting desperate to get rid of them soon to make room for 2013 inventory. The diesel will also be a 1st year model. If we've learned anything, it's that one should wait at least a year for any potential bugs to get worked out before buying one. The Diesel is also expected to carry a price premium, and to my knowledge, shouldn't be available for purchase until mid way through 2013.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Diesel, diesel, diesel.

Compare the specs, economically and performance. The decision should be easy based on those two.

Plus the MyLink, updated touchscreen dash, among other changes they made for 13's.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I'd go for the 2012. You can get 0% financing on it right now on a 48 month loan, and the dealers are going to be getting desperate to get rid of them soon to make room for 2013 inventory. The diesel will also be a 1st year model. If we've learned anything, it's that one should wait at least a year for any potential bugs to get worked out before buying one. The Diesel is also expected to carry a price premium, and to my knowledge, shouldn't be available for purchase until mid way through 2013.
Very true, but the 1.7/2.0T-D is nothing new for GM. IIRC, its been overseas for a couple years now.

One would assume the 'kinks' are worked out by now?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
2012 LTZ. Remember, a bird in hand is better than a bird in bush. We don't know for a fact that the Cruze Diesels are going to get better MPG, or, for that matter, that they will even exist in 2013 in North America. GM has claimed both, but until they are in production we won't know for sure.

Plus, as XR said, Chevy is offering 0% on the 2012s right now.

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts
Very true, but the 1.7/2.0T-D is nothing new for GM. IIRC, its been overseas for a couple years now.

One would assume the 'kinks' are worked out by now?
One would assume, but we've been wrong before...

The diesel is one thing I'd take a chance on more than a gas motor, I'll say that much. Opel has a lot of experience with diesels.

2012 LTZ. Remember, a bird in hand is better than a bird in bush. We don't know for a fact that the Cruze Diesels are going to get better MPG, or, for that matter, that they will even exist in 2013 in North America. GM has claimed both, but until they are in production we won't know for sure.

Plus, as XR said, Chevy is offering 0% on the 2012s right now.
We also don't know how much more expensive the diesels will be...

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I hope diesel-equipped Cruzes will be available for less than that. That's a bit of a hard pill to swallow over an Eco that comes in at nearly $4k cheaper.
I actually didn't think it was too bad. $23k is what I paid out the door for my RS. The engine is projected to have TWICE the torque, the horsepower of a tuned 1.4T, and and a highway mpg value of a very impressive 56. :) I'd buy one, absolutely.

Especially if gas prices continue to rise and the price of premium becomes more than diesel alone.

And, just imagine if the EPA estimates are under-rated like our current Cruzen. And imagine what Vince at Trifecta could stur up on a tune for the Diesel.

If he could, say, get a tuned Diesel to 200whp, 300wtq, and even tweak a few values to get 60 in MPG, and sell the tune for $400 even. Would you pay almost $24k for that? I would, lol.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I hope diesel-equipped Cruzes will be available for less than that. That's a bit of a hard pill to swallow over an Eco that comes in at nearly $4k cheaper.
Especially when the European Cruze Diesels are getting 56 MPG Imperial, which works out to right about the same as the gasoline North American Cruze ECO MT.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Diesel in a $24k car is looking like a recipe for disaster. All the common-rail and emissions junk is making the new VW TDI's not the most reliable, and expensive to fix when they break. I see no reason why GM's diesel will be any different. That being said, the more expensive diesels seem to be doing better.

I want to be proven wrong. We'll see. Until I am, though, I'd get the 2012 LTZ.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
2012 Cruze is here NOW...today!

2013 ECO-D Cruze won't be HERE until first of 2Q-2013...6 months from now.

...and, which sounds more ±exciting to YOU?:

2013 with new & exciting problems that nobody's ever seen or found (yet)?

2012 with old & known problems that have been found, worked on, and (usually) resolved?

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I say the 2013 diesel! New problems new adventures!

Hoping me and my Cruze are still here to read the posts barring any engine fires!

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Hopefully, only your "...pipe dreams..." go up in smoke, not your Cruze (wink,wink).

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I would get the diesel probably. Diesels hold value much better with mileage. Your fuel economy will be much better as well. The LTZ is a great car, but if you can wait to have the option to choose, I would. The diesel is just a much better long term option. I could see one owning a diesel for 15 years

·
Registered
23 Posts
my son has a 2011 eco with 6 speed manual and on trips on the interstates driving at 65/75 MPH he get 47 MPG so how much better will a diesel do ???

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
The potential diesel in the Cruze in what first drew me to the car. Had I not wanted to make a move before winter, I may have waited it out. But the more I thought about it, it would be somewhat new technology (even if brought directly from overseas) that could have lots of problems, it could be only available in certain trim levels (like a no-leather Eco), and it could carry a hefty price tag. All of those factors pushed me to just go with the current one which I really grew to like the looks of. I have literally loved every second of it.

Reactions: Starks8

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
ECO mt Now! Common rail not the only issue. DPF cleaning cycle,.urea injection, diesel is $.50 higher. Long term TCOM etc.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
ECO mt Now! Common rail not the only issue. DPF cleaning cycle,.urea injection, diesel is $.50 higher. Long term TCOM etc.
Don't forget even if the diesel cruze is a couple thousand more the engine is built to withstand much higher compression & will outlast a gas cruze engine 10 fold. That that means the total cost per mile is lower since you will be driving well beyond the point you have no car payment. Any extra maintenance cost are more than offset considering you will need an entire engine replaced in a gas cruze in half the miles.

56.5mpg imperial is 47mpg US(projected MPG for the diesel), 5mpg better than the eco manual. If 5mpg isn't worth it then you should have bought a 1LT at 38mpg & saved even more money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts