Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Waiting over 4 weeks for a DEF tank on "National Back order"

8136 Views 26 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  diesel
Hey all, I have a 2014 Cruze TD with a bad DEF tank, Ive driven the car around for 4 weeks already with the CEL light on and finally now the car gave me the message that it wants to limit my speed to 65 max, so now it sits at the dealer... i saw a post from 2013 about someone having the exact same problem, can't get the tank and its on national back order. I don't understand how something can be on national backorder for almost 2 years. Come on chevy.. don't make me go back to Volkswagen, they may be liars but at least i feel that VW took better care of me. I had 2 Volkswagen TDI's.

Did i mention that about 3 months ago I was also waiting for an O2 sensor that was on "National backorder" for a month and a half!!!

Thanks for listening to me complain, I'm just very upset because i just want my car fixed!!!!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

10,589 Posts
Hey all, I have a 2014 Cruze TD with a bad DEF tank, Ive driven the car around for 4 weeks already with the CEL light on and finally now the car gave me the message that it wants to limit my speed to 65 max, so now it sits at the dealer... i saw a post from 2013 about someone having the exact same problem, can't get the tank and its on national back order. I don't understand how something can be on national backorder for almost 2 years. Come on chevy.. don't make me go back to Volkswagen, they may be liars but at least i feel that VW took better care of me. I had 2 Volkswagen TDI's.

Did i mention that about 3 months ago I was also waiting for an O2 sensor that was on "National backorder" for a month and a half!!!

Thanks for listening to me complain, I'm just very upset because i just want my car fixed!!!!
Does your dealership know the process for Diesel parts goes differently from regular 1.4 and 1.8 parts? Just ordering them the old fashion way doesn't work out in a timely manor.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your dealership know the process for Diesel parts goes differently from regular 1.4 and 1.8 parts? Just ordering them the old fashion way doesn't work out in a timely manor.
I was told a special case on it was recently opened. I called GM corporate when i had the same problem trying to get the O2 sensor for it and they were useless.

10,589 Posts
I was told a special case on it was recently opened. I called GM corporate when i had the same problem trying to get the O2 sensor for it and they were useless.
You also tried Chevy Customer Care here as well? Hopefully the diesel regulars can pop in during the normal hours to help out.

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Try sending a PM to the GM Support folks on here and they can help you. Also make sure your dealership has contacted TAC. As I understand it, they are the ones to release the parts that are on "national backorder"

· Reverend Red Bull
1,155 Posts
Many of the Diesel parts are still on restriction, which will show up as "National Back Order," but it really means that the dealer can't get the part without authorization from the GM Technical Assistance Center. Some of the parts, such as the NOX Sensor, EGT Sensor, and Particulate Matter Sensor have been released from restriction, but others are still on restriction, and this may be one of them. They do this in order to work toward a right fix the first time and prevent dealers from just throwing parts at a car that they aren't familiar with. TAC specifies a diagnostic procedure, and based on the results specifies a repair strategy, releasing the appropriate parts to that the dealer can receive them. If a dealer doesn't follow this, they don't get the parts. Some past members of the forum have been in this situation and waited a month or more for a part, and once the dealer finally called TAC, they had the part in 72 hours.

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I waited three and a half weeks on an 02 sensor. My cruze diesel had been in the shop a total of five times for emissions related issues, A couple of 02 sensors, a NOx sensor, and an ECU upgrade for fuel trim issues. I finally had it while I was waiting for the 02 sensor and traded out of the CTD for an equinox. GM corporate, and the dealer really stepped up to make this right. Sorry to hijack the tread a bit, but I totally feel your pain on backordered parts.

· Registered
270 Posts
GM is just clueless about diesel service. My 2014 CTD was at the dealer for 34 days when the diesel fluid pump failed at 400 miles. A recent sensor failure required 3 trips to the dealer, 1 to diagnose, 1 to install the sensor after ordering, 1 to reflash the software which I suggested after researching this forum. When I complained about the multiple 30 mile trips the service advisor told me that I was free to take it to any Chevy dealer. Just substandard customer care. Too bad because, aside from the emission system, its a great car.

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Apparently a spac case is open on it, whatever that means!
Hi Kari,

I understand how frustrating this may seem, and I would be more than happy to look into this more for you. It sounds like your situation is being put into the right hands, but I'm here if you need the extra assistance. Feel free to send me a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership you are working with. Looking forward to your response and updates.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

· Registered
157 Posts
Sorry to hear about your DEF tank failure, I had one replaced at 59K, for $800. 36 hours later the "sensor" went out in the new tank and back to dealer, again. I had it with the sensors and now have a Honda. Sorry GM but for such a small limited amount of CTD there are a huge number of CEL's on this emission test group. Even the diesel trucks are dealing with the DEF systems failures. Granted some CTD owners have been somewhat problem free there are way too many of us that have had multiple problems. Failures should be counted by PPM (parts per million), not per hundreds GM, my estimate it is very close to the later, that is why I bailed as a CTD owner.

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
It's a shame really. i think properly trained dealers could fix these problems right and quickly the first time and then there would not be people like these posting here who bailed from an otherwise great car. GM - if you are reading this, make sure to straighten out the communication and training with the dealers on the diesels, both current gen and 2017, especially if you want to go for more market penetration.

· Registered
52 Posts
Yes it would be a great thing if GM would listen more to our problems and do a better job of communicating how to repair our Cars. Also what training if much has been given on the repair of our cars
I even wonder if they keep a log of the failures and do they realize how many of us have the exact same problems. Will
be interesting to see this new 2.8l duramax is any better than our motors for emission problems.

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Yes it would be a great thing if GM would listen more to our problems and do a better job of communicating how to repair our Cars. Also what training if much has been given on the repair of our cars
I even wonder if they keep a log of the failures and do they realize how many of us have the exact same problems. Will
be interesting to see this new 2.8l duramax is any better than our motors for emission problems.
I think I will be a lurker on a forum where people talk about the 2.8 Duramax. It will be interesting to see what they have learned from the Cruze. I am pretty sure the 2.8 will sell in much larger numbers than the Cruze.

· Registered
157 Posts
I really do not think that a 4 week backorder on a DEF tank is a "dealer" problem, its a major owner problem. This is totally due to insufficient part supply. My dealer was not a problem, my car sure was. You can't blame a dealer trying to fix a pissed off customer's car.

· Registered
208 Posts
It's not a dealer problem for not having parts, its a GM problem. I'm willing to bet that its a 3rd party that builds the tanks for GM and they are behind on orders.

Also a SPAC case that the dealer sets up is a way to track that a part is needed. What GM will do is search all dealers and see if there is a part laying on the shelf somewhere. GM will contact that dealer and attempt to get the part. The SPAC case also lets you get updates on parts and when they do become available GM will ship you one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.