Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Key interest for me is this Capstone Turbine Corporation with air cooled, air bearing turbines.

Bit nebulous on whether these are direct drive turbine or spinning a generator for electrical motor power. But do show something like this in their website.

Ha, can finally getting rid of that bug collecting radiator. And run on quite a variety of fuels.

• Low or High Pressure Natural Gas
  • Biogas (landfill, wastewater treatment centers, anaerobic)
  • Flare gas
  • Diesel
  • Propane
  • Kerosene
Fuel efficiency appears to be almost twice that as IC engines, and claim no after the fact emission devices required.

At the end of this video have a nice list of American companies. Partially encouraging that Walmart will be delivering their made in China crap in fine American made vehicles.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Can't believe Walmart was the first one to think of this.... Save money delivering your good means more profits! Guarantee the consumer will see no saving at all. Wonder if there will be people stealing these trailers to get all those huge panels of carbon fiber.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
That's all good and whatnot. What kind of fuel economy numbers is it putting out and what's it's drivability like.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
At the end of this video have a nice list of American companies. Partially encouraging that Walmart will be delivering their made in China crap in fine American made vehicles.
I don't know as the Chinese are known as innovators. (Or for that matter, heavy equipment.) And that's what Wal-Mart is looking for.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
The very little I know about aerodynamics: at subsonic speeds is the key is not parting the air, but putting it back together. If you don't do a good job of putting it back together, you end up with a vacuum in the back that tries to suck you backwards - better known as drag. Take a look at a aircraft like a 747. Nose to maximum cross-section in like 10 feet. But tapers to a point starting just behind the main wings. Or look at a whale - same thing. Blunt "face", but quickly starts tapering to the tip at the back.

The back is a little more rounded, but still looks like a barn door. My gut feeling is that this thing would be more aerodynamic if it was driven backwards. (As would most cars.)

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Interesting concept vehicle. I wonder how that plastic trailer holds up to bozo fork lift drivers. Mind's eye can see fork blades ripping the sides of the trailer. Also, will it keep the driver from running over limos?

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
Walmart is about the only shipper with the financial clout to make this happen. If these trucks really save money we'll see other shipping companies start to use them.

Still won't shop there though.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
When Are they supposed to hit the road? If they mentioned it, I must've missed it.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Know a lot of people that knock Walmart, but for name brand packaged groceries, frozen or on the shelve, a buck cheaper per box than any other grocery store in town. That can really add up. Great Value isn't necessarily great.

Elected to buy my large screen TV there, not only the lowest price anywhere, but could use it for 90 days and still get a full refund. To extend the warranty to three years, only cost me an extra 20 bucks.

They also hire a lot of disable people, don't see that in other stores, least they are working or trying to.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Know a lot of people that knock Walmart, but for name brand packaged groceries, frozen or on the shelve, a buck cheaper per box than any other grocery store in town. That can really add up. Great Value isn't necessarily great.

Elected to buy my large screen TV there, not only the lowest price anywhere, but could use it for 90 days and still get a full refund. To extend the warranty to three years, only cost me an extra 20 bucks.

They also hire a lot of disable people, don't see that in other stores, least they are working or trying to.
My problem with WalMart isn't the goods or services, it's how the employees are paid/treated. Any company that sponsors a food drive, for their own employees, needs to have some scrutiny. It's not like the Waltons are scraping by. When you make as much as they do, you would think that maybe you should compensate the people that are making the money for you. Shameful family and I avoid that place just for that reason.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My problem with WalMart isn't the goods or services, it's how the employees are paid/treated. Any company that sponsors a food drive, for their own employees, needs to have some scrutiny. It's not like the Waltons are scraping by. When you make as much as they do, you would think that maybe you should compensate the people that are making the money for you. Shameful family and I avoid that place just for that reason.
It all depends on where you are in the company. If you on the bottom rung, entry level, sure you'd expect to make minimum wage. I have a few friends that are store managers and pull in 6 figure salaries. Walmart also pulls from within when new jobs become available. The opportunities are available if you capitalize on them.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha, use to call myself Nick Nobody. Was sure a big war in our town when Walmart promised to pay two bucks more than minimum from all the other stores paying minimum. Another war about part time, the famous 37.5 hour work week with zero benefits.

But even our famous Senator Johnson was doing this in his plastic bag factory, his workers needed both food stamps and Medicaid or Badger care to get by.

What about Bill Gates and his 80 billion bucks, wouldn't have anything if he paid me minimum and everyone else who spent hours curing the problems he imposed on all of us.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Still won't shop there though.
Just wondering why? For reasons Nick stated?
Personally I like walmart especially the super walmarts, everything under one roof and reasonable prices too. The only problem is they don't have sales on meats, vegtables, canned goods ect like other grocery stores do.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Walmart isn't stupid, small towns around here want them and bend over backwards to get them. In our case they purchased 40 acres of land north of town that was worthless for farming. 200 bucks an acre, they had to lay out 8,000 bucks. But only used a portion of that and sell the rest to other smaller chains, have a whole of stores on the south end.

Not sure what they paid, but in other towns as much as 500,000 bucks per acre, typically is two acre plots. For was a left hand turn at 55 mph, after, city put up a four lane road with more traffic lights, now when headed north, have to drive at 35 mph for a mile and half before hitting 55 mph again.

By having a Walmart, attracted many other businesses so people are coming in from around, read as many as 10,000 people are coming to town daily. Not a quiet town anymore. Nearest other Walmarts are 50 east, 90 miles west, 95 miles north, and 70 miles south.

Use to only have one grocery store in town, now three plus an Aldi's, ha they are best for produce, other two always sending us coupons that beat Walmart prices. So no longer hitting one grocery store anymore. Also gained an Office Max and Staples store, trying hard to get a Best Buy here as well, and have a Sears store now in town.

Have to say, getting a Walmart in town sure changed this place. Also opened 24/7, but just close on Christmas day. Packed on the weekends, best time for me to shop is at 4:00 AM in the morning, LOL.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts