Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Warm air intake...Has anyone done one results?

4K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  14'ecocruze 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone has run a warm air intake. Seeing as I have massive drops in instant mpg even fully warmed up during colder weather. Curious if having intake additional tubing run toward manifold to pull heat from there to bump temps would work. 15+ mpg swing in instant mpg on same route holding same speed isn't due to denser air creating higher drag values. I feel are cars run best between 60° and 80°. Curious if anyone has tried this and to what end result?

#9 ·
I would like to see the ******* intake...That's more my speed. Not $180-300 hunk of crap that you need to modify anyways as seen in that thread. Just need the section with the maf and a slight reroute. I'm guessing exhaust flex pipe would work well. Eric you have been all over these 1.4 forums I'm sure you have found some RNI around with links. I have only seen one decent one and he was playing with heater core stuff. That's not my cup of tea. More just keeping car at homeostasis during cooler driving times and short trips.

#10 ·
Personaly i will never use a short-ram intake again, its complete crap, its just good for the looks and the sounds. It use hot air from under the hood, basicly helping to heat-soak itself.

The colder the air the better, even in Winter. I know the car doesnt warm up as fast and you wont see much difference in fuel economy, its not worth it, keep your intake stock.

#11 ·
I really have zero opportunity to suffer any null effects from heatsoak. My trips are never in excess of 40 miles. No stop and go more than 2 consecutive stoplights...And those are decent distance appart. When I head to a town for shopping it's directly to the store and off long enough to adequately cool to prevent any chance of heat soak issues in the 2-4 stoplights I would see on my way out. Not exactly a city guy. Just kinda hypermile the country roads hypershort trips. Typically less than 15 miles between long enough cool down time to consider car cold. Curious if I could just turn the airbox sideways so bottom tube would be pulling from the motors direction. I think the box would fit sideways in there...Would be easy test may have to try that tomorrow. If it works I won't need any extra parts...Zip ties to secure box. Then would be 30 second pop the hood and twist to put it back. Thoughts or previous attempt at this so I don't waste my time would be great. Still seeing a lot of hate on the wai lol if it works for me I hope I can rub it in lol

#16 ·
Wouldn't having a separator to push some air past the maf undetected create a leaner operation? Or would 02 sensor level that out quickly? Just curious if it's worthwhile to play with the maf at all other than in the computer system? Cuz a simple plastic or metal piece in the tube before maf diverting air around the maf would mean more air being put in but maf only reading the 3/4 or half flow matching that for air fuel ratio. That would I'm turn create a leaner scenario correct?

#17 ·
The Cruze does not run better on 20 degree air than 70 degree air. They will heat soak after a few hours, but for those that only use the car for short, low-speed commutes, especially in colder climates, I do believe warming the intake air would benefit it. When it's zero and the heater needs to be on notch 2 to keep the car warm, and you never break 40 MPH while coasting or idling half the time, I'm not sure how long it would take the engine temp to get to full while burning extra fuel the whole time.

#18 ·
Zero degrees out it takes about 15 to 20 minutes with the heat completely off toggled to 1 to keep windshield clear on idle sections. If I stay backroads never breaking 45 mph except on a neutral coast I hit about 52. That's a 13 miles trek to work. It's just about at normal operating temp when I arrive lol granted that's not adding in wind chill. Sucks the heat out of the car a tick faster than dead air.

#19 ·
Mmmmm, at 45mph the car should get hot rather fast, at least both my 1.4 and 2.0 did.

#21 ·
#23 ·
Wouldn't it be simple to slap on a cone filter and piece of pvc to throw the maf into? I know there's something with air straightening and distance between filter and maf to take into account. Any suggestions on those two variables?
I could also go the route of piss on this idea and just do some insulating and grill block but don't want to have to monitor temps very close. Summer is almost here. Just depressed I can't get above 52.9 on DIC. Goal is 55 and I know I can do it with my route with 70-90° intake temps. My trip averages on those days was in 60s on DIC. When Intake temps are 55-60° it's been around 58. 40-55° which is what I have been seeing is right around that 50-55 mpg. April showers drop the average a bit as well lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.