Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE SHARE!!!!! Yesterday, August 03, 2017, I was driving in my 2014 Chevy Cruz, with approximately 27-28,000 miles on it. I loved my Cruz and everything about it. I just knew that I made a good decision when I signed the lease on June 07, 2017. I had a new and more dependable car to get back and forth to work and to take my children back and forth to daycare. As I was driving, my air conditioner had stopped blowing air. Naturally, I reach over to turn it off manually, assuming that it may be a feature that newer vehicles could have. I thought that maybe a sensor could have reached a certain temperature that could have caused the air to shut off on its own. I proceeded to drive home at that point, only from a block or so away from my home. I waited about 3 to 4 minutes before I turned the air back on, being as though it was 89 degrees yesterday it was very hot in my car. When I turned the air back on smoke began to come out of the vents that the air would usually come from. I immediately turned off the air, checking for any warning light on the dashboard. No warning lights were lit at all!!!!! By this time I have arrived home and parked my Chevy Cruz outside of my house. I turned off the engine and popped the hood to see if maybe something was wrong under the hood. There were absolutely NO signs at all that anything was wrong under the hood. I closed the hood only realize that the entire car was full of smoke. I immediately dialed 911 for a response from the Philadelphia fire department. This is the outcome of what happened to my car. I still have yet to find out the cause of this as my insurance company is doing an investigation. I am sharing this with concerns for other drivers. I transport my two young children in this vehicle on a daily basis. By the grace of god, my children were not in the vehicle when this happened! Please share this if you can to make make other drivers aware of this. I am truly concerned that this could happen to somebody else and they may not be as fortunate as I was to be able to get out of and away from the vehicle in time. I have reached out to chevy by messaging them but have yet to receive a response. I also included some of th

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Reactions: Dngrsone

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Yes, some leasing companies are set up to lease used cars. For the most part this is for folks that just cannot afford a car, period.

This story is evidently about a used car lease.....obviously a car that had some underlying issue that the new driver found.

Certainly not a known issue with any car.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
So I thought buying a used car was bad, but leasing a used car would be even worse. You're getting someone else's problems and if a major issue occurs you're still on the hook for the lease and car return (or insurance buyout that matches the final lease buyout amount).

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
My car filled with smoke so rather than rolling the windows down I called 911!

Yet I still opened the hood to take a look around because I'm aware enough to know if if I saw something out of place.

Yep. I have an old friend who has been a 911 operator for about 30 years. This is definitely a life-threatening emergency. Not.

IMG_1301.PNG

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I hate posts like this. There is so much junk added to the story. Read all of that and still don't know what the cause was? I feel like I wasted five minutes. Lol

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
My guess would be the blower motor burned up.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Actaully Freon by the description. Which means the evaporator at least would need to be replaced.

Also Freon is toxic but doesn't really have any long term effects. Since you typed this up you'll be fine.

oh its not actually you, you just reposted it...

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Someone posted a Cruze fire on the FB pages. Supposedly it was yesterday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is a link to the pictures and videos. My guess is the blower motor and or resistor. I had the resistor wiring in my Colorado overheat and burn up...it also looks in one of the photos that there is a heavy gauge wire laying across the pass. Seat? Home brew audio gone wrong?

http://www.facebook.com/lisa.soda/posts/10203735448463830

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
.it also looks in one of the photos that there is a heavy gauge wire laying across the pass. Seat? Home brew audio gone wrong?
Looks like a bundle of wires. The way it's lying there make me think it fell from the ceiling.

Given the sequence, I think it's the blower motor. If the smoke came out the vents, then it would have to start in the vent. There's no resistor. The speed is controlled by PWM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts