Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a few CPO 2014 and 2015 Cruze Diesel cars. One 2014 has VERY low miles (less than 2000) but will only have 23 months and 40k+ miles on the B2B warranty, but there are 2015 models with around 20,000 miles on them that will have 40+ months of warranty and around 28k miles... Is that even a concern???

How often have you guys had issues with the car that required warranty service???

Knowing the car, would you recommend a low mileage one with less time available on the warranty or a higher mileage car with more time and less miles???

What has failed or given you problems with the cars???

Thanks,
CT

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I'm looking at a few CPO 2014 and 2015 Cruze Diesel cars. One 2014 has VERY low miles (less than 2000) but will only have 23 months and 40k+ miles on the B2B warranty, but there are 2015 models with around 20,000 miles on them that will have 40+ months of warranty and around 28k miles... Is that even a concern???

How often have you guys had issues with the car that required warranty service???

Knowing the car, would you recommend a low mileage one with less time available on the warranty or a higher mileage car with more time and less miles???

What has failed or given you problems with the cars???

Thanks,
CT
Well I bought a 15 diesel with 3700 miles. I wanted a car that had the used car price but hadn't been serviced. If you read some of the big threads on here you find some diesels having emissions related issues. Some if not many have had Chevy dealers that don't know how to service this diesel. They over filled the oil by a lot and put the incorrect oil in the car, it takes dexos 2 oil. Some dealers put dexos 1 oil in the cars.

With all that being said, if I bought a used car with miles on it, I would only buy a car with great maintenance records and I wouldn't want a car that has had a lot of problems, if the car had wrong oil in it and over filled how will that car be in the long term? I just dunno.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I would only buy a car with great maintenance records
this

i bought 2 used cherokees and a used miata all sight unseen, didnt look at records, didnt look at the car, nothing...all 3 have been fantastic

having owned the diesel cruze for 2.5yrs and reading this forum all that time, i would be scared to buy a used one without records and a full go over

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Depends on how lucky you feel.

Myself, I don't buy used as I don't feel lucky at all. And I always buy the max GMPP 7/100 bumper-to-bumper.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I bought a 15 diesel with 3700 miles. I wanted a car that had the used car price but hadn't been serviced. If you read some of the big threads on here you find some diesels having emissions related issues. Some if not many have had Chevy dealers that don't know how to service this diesel. They over filled the oil by a lot and put the incorrect oil in the car, it takes dexos 2 oil. Some dealers put dexos 1 oil in the cars.

With all that being said, if I bought a used car with miles on it, I would only buy a car with great maintenance records and I wouldn't want a car that has had a lot of problems, if the car had wrong oil in it and over filled how will that car be in the long term? I just dunno.
10-4 is incompetent service the main problem you've heard about?

how many miles a month do you drive?
Various... There are times when we drive very little, maybe a few hundred miles in a month. BUT, there are times when we drive a few thousand miles in a month. During the diesel show season when I am traveling to many events I can do between 500-1000 in a week. I probably have averaged around 15-25,000/year in my Jetta TDI since we purchased it. But that also included a trip from here in Tennessee out west to California and back...

this

i bought 2 used cherokees and a used miata all sight unseen, didnt look at records, didnt look at the car, nothing...all 3 have been fantastic

having owned the diesel cruze for 2.5yrs and reading this forum all that time, i would be scared to buy a used one without records and a full go over
I'm not understanding your post. You bought three cars sight unseen, without records or anything that have been great, but you think the Diesel Cruze is so temperamental or problematic that you would not buy one used without full documentation and a thorough inspection... Considering the rep of Jeep and Chrysler products and I am surprised you think more highly of them than the Cruze Diesel and that worries me a little... Or am I reading something wrong??? Please elaborate.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I'm not understanding your post. You bought three cars sight unseen, without records or anything that have been great, but you think the Diesel Cruze is so temperamental or problematic that you would not buy one used without full documentation and a thorough inspection... Considering the rep of Jeep and Chrysler products and I am surprised you think more highly of them than the Cruze Diesel and that worries me a little... Or am I reading something wrong??? Please elaborate.
98 xj's and 96 miata....theyre bulletproof and fixable by any idiot with youtube.

the ctd, not so much....im happy i bought it, and its been reliable enough (my garage has the repair history), but lack of knowledge at dealer and gm levels, lack of parts availabe (lots of national backorders) make the car troublesome if/when it does break

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Various... There are times when we drive very little, maybe a few hundred miles in a month. BUT, there are times when we drive a few thousand miles in a month. During the diesel show season when I am traveling to many events I can do between 500-1000 in a week. I probably have averaged around 15-25,000/year in my Jetta TDI since we purchased it. But that also included a trip from here in Tennessee out west to California and back...

so at 1500 miles/month...the 2014 has 23 months of time or 27 mos of miles....so 23 mos til warranty over

the 2015 has 40 months of time or 19 mos of miles....so 19 mos til warranty over

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
theres been a handful of cars that were on here that the owners got rid of cuz of re-occuring issues/too much time in the shop, etc...

are those cars out there? are they really fixed this time?

such is the gamble with used

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theres been a handful of cars that were on here that the owners got rid of cuz of re-occuring issues/too much time in the shop, etc...

are those cars out there? are they really fixed this time?

such is the gamble with used
Yup for standard private party used, or non Chevy dealer used that could be an issue for sure. For a CPO Chevy purchase it comes with history on service too I believe and that would disclose any reoccurring problems. As with any purchase buyer beware and do your research and inspection. I'd feel comfortable in a used Cruze Diesel as long as they are not all exploding at 36001 miles and from what I read here they are doing pretty darn good.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Let's see. I'm at 157K miles now. Off the top of my head, 61K miles I had wheel bearings done on my dime 62K miles, exhaust temp sensor under warranty. Couple manual regens at 115K and 131K miles (see my sticky on this in technical section). Battery at 151K.

Overall, it's been and continues to be a great, if not perfect, car.

Reactions: Chris Tobin

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump...

Any other comments/concerns with CPO Chevy Cruze purchase or warrant issues and/or failures/problems with your Cruze Diesel?

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
i bought my CTd new with 0 miles. i drive 80% city and have had 0 mechanical issues. interior another story. i had a broken sunshade then a warped headliner all replaced under b2b. the cruze not meant to be a city car does it very well. fuely shows i get 33mpg in the city. only other thing is that my CTD pulls to the right heavily

·
Registered
253 Posts
I went through a Oxygen Sensor and NOX sensor at about 20K miles. They replaced the O2 sensor and I think the real problem was the NOX sensor. When they did the O2, I don't think they went through the proper troubleshooting tree. The car didn't even make it home from the O2 repair before it tripped the CEL. After contacting our customer care rep on the board, took it back to them and this time they did a much longer troubleshoot and test drive. The first test drive was 10 miles. Second one was 56 miles. I got my car back and no problems since. I also think they reflashed the computer. I think the GM mothership reached out to the dealer the second time and they did a much better job.

I don't usually buy extended warranties, but I'm really considering it on this one. I do not know enough about the technology to repair myself. The CTD is such a small production run, I do not think the independents will be of much use if something goes south (engine, sensor, computer or specific diesel tech troubleshooting problem).

My older brother purchased an 07 CPO Accord with about 20k on it back in 08 from a local Honda dealer. CPO warranty went to 100k. He had some issues with ignition coils when it had about 70k on it. Honda did everything they could to weasel out of that 100k warranty. In the end Honda paid for the repair but my brother had to put up a good fight. He's a Honda guy, he's on his 3rd Accord. If he would have been stuck with the bill, I'm sure he would have a Camry now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chris Tobin,

You are asking two different questions and therefore getting different answers. First you are wondering if there are any issues with the Cruze Diesel, then you are wondering if the '14 with low miles is better than the '15 with higher miles.

The way I look at if you are looking for a '14 or newer diesel passenger car, logically there is only one option for you ... the Cruze Diesel. I don't believe you can buy a Volkswagen TDi on American soil yet. As for which is better 1 year older and low miles or 1 year newer and higher miles. Its a toss up, in the life a diesel engine or entire car for that matter, 20k miles isn't much. Most of the issues brought up on this site are related to the emission system of the Cruze Diesel. Typically if you have emission problems its within the warranty period anyways.

I bought my '14 with ~16k miles on it and have put 10k miles to date and haven't had any problems. I would expect that either the '14 or the '15 would provide you with many worry-free miles as long as those who service your car don't do something stupid.

Therefore, make your decision based on which one is the color you like the best.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
My older brother purchased an 07 CPO Accord with about 20k on it back in 08 from a local Honda dealer. CPO warranty went to 100k. He had some issues with ignition coils when it had about 70k on it. Honda did everything they could to weasel out of that 100k warranty. In the end Honda paid for the repair but my brother had to put up a good fight. He's a Honda guy, he's on his 3rd Accord. If he would have been stuck with the bill, I'm sure he would have a Camry now.
Impossible! Hondas don't break. They don't even have repair facilities at their dealerships.

...or so those who pray at the altar of Honda believe.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris Tobin,

You are asking two different questions and therefore getting different answers. First you are wondering if there are any issues with the Cruze Diesel, then you are wondering if the '14 with low miles is better than the '15 with higher miles.

The way I look at if you are looking for a '14 or newer diesel passenger car, logically there is only one option for you ... the Cruze Diesel. I don't believe you can buy a Volkswagen TDi on American soil yet. As for which is better 1 year older and low miles or 1 year newer and higher miles. Its a toss up, in the life a diesel engine or entire car for that matter, 20k miles isn't much. Most of the issues brought up on this site are related to the emission system of the Cruze Diesel. Typically if you have emission problems its within the warranty period anyways.

I bought my '14 with ~16k miles on it and have put 10k miles to date and haven't had any problems. I would expect that either the '14 or the '15 would provide you with many worry-free miles as long as those who service your car don't do something stupid.

Therefore, make your decision based on which one is the color you like the best.
Funny thing is that both the low mile 2014 and the 20k mile 2015 are at the same dealer for the same price and have the same options... They are both black on black with sunroof, navigation and Pioneer sound system.

Are there any options I should avoid?

Glad you are happy with your used Cruze Diesel, I hope to be too...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Funny thing is that both the low mile 2014 and the 20k mile 2015 are at the same dealer for the same price and have the same options... They are both black on black with sunroof, navigation and Pioneer sound system.

Are there any options I should avoid?

Glad you are happy with your used Cruze Diesel, I hope to be too...
Well then, buy them both!

Reactions: Tomko

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Yup for standard private party used, or non Chevy dealer used that could be an issue for sure. For a CPO Chevy purchase it comes with history on service too I believe and that would disclose any reoccurring problems. As with any purchase buyer beware and do your research and inspection. I'd feel comfortable in a used Cruze Diesel as long as they are not all exploding at 36001 miles and from what I read here they are doing pretty darn good.
Your assumption about CPO is incorrect. All CPO really means is that it's a used car that has passed a quick set of checks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts