Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Was Overheating now AC Doesn’t Work

1480 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Blasirl
Hello All!

I’m new to the forum but I’ve been browsing it for years. I’ve had this ongoing issue with my car and am looking for advice.

Beginning in Dec of ‘19 my car started registering that it was overheating. Temp gauge would stop working, fan would go full blast, and AC would be disengaged. I replaced two of the coolant sensors and that seemed to work for anout

When I took it in to get fixed they replaced the thermostat and housing for it.

About a month later later it started happening again. I had read on this forum about disconnecting the negative battery wire to let the computer reset as a potential fix. I did this and it seemed to fix it but about once a week I would need to do it again. Please note that the engine was not overheating, it just said that it was.
I took it in again and they said there was a fault in on of the sensor wires and replaced it. Two weeks later and it was back on it’s BS.

Here’s where it gets interesting. About a month after the issue started up again and I was doing my quick fix the AC stopped working all together. Turned it off at night working and the next morning nothing. Since this happened my car has not pretended to overheat. It’s going on about two months now.

Any ideas of what’s wrong with it?

it’s a ‘13 LS 1.8L 6MT
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
885 Posts
Hello All!

I’m new to the forum but I’ve been browsing it for years. I’ve had this ongoing issue with my car and am looking for advice.

Beginning in Dec of ‘19 my car started registering that it was overheating. Temp gauge would stop working, fan would go full blast, and AC would be disengaged. I replaced two of the coolant sensors and that seemed to work for anout

About a month later later it started happening again. I had read on this forum about disconnecting the negative battery wire to let the computer reset as a potential fix. I did this and it seemed to fix it but about once a week I would need to do it again. Please note that the engine was not overheating, it just said that it was.
I took it in again and they said there was a fault in on of the sensor wires and replaced it. Two weeks later and it was back on it’s BS.

Here’s where it gets interesting. About a month after the issue started up again and I was doing my quick fix the AC stopped working all together. Turned it off at night working and the next morning nothing. Since this happened my car has not pretended to overheat. It’s going on about two months now.

it’s a ‘13 LS 1.8L 6MT
2 things.

- Is your cooling fan spinning

- are you low on coolant

· Registered
‘13 LS 1.8L 6MT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This whole story is a classic case of a bad fan resistor. When the resistor goes bad the fan only runs at high speed. More than likely you need a new fan, the resistor is NOT a repair part.
This would cause the AC to stop working overnight and not have anymore overheating issues?

Sorry if that’s a dumb question. I just can’t picture how it’s all related.

· Premium Member
885 Posts
This would cause the AC to stop working overnight and not have anymore overheating issues?

Sorry if that’s a dumb question. I just can’t picture how it’s all related.

Yes fan not spinning, no A/C

You can check relays but most likely a bad cooling fan.

· Premium Member
885 Posts
Thank you. I’m taking it in tomorrow to get checked out. Hoping it is something cheaper like the cooling fan.
Ok but don’t get over charged. Fan costs about $200 + labor. I’ve replaced mine before and it took about 10 minutes

· Registered
‘13 LS 1.8L 6MT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok but don’t get over charged. Fan costs about $200 + labor. I’ve replaced mine before and it took about 10 minutes
If I feel they are charging too much I can always buy the part separate and have my brother swap it out for me. I’m sure I could do it myself, but I’d rather someone more experienced handle it. I grew up learning to frame houses and drywall, dad wasn’t good at fixing mechanical things.

· Premium Member
885 Posts
If I feel they are charging too much I can always buy the part separate and have my brother swap it out for me. I’m sure I could do it myself, but I’d rather someone more experienced handle it. I grew up learning to frame houses and drywall, dad wasn’t good at fixing mechanical things.
You literally need a flat head screwdriver to release the plastic tabs. Move the wiring harness and it slides out from the top.

· Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4T 1LT
3 Posts
Hello All!

it’s a ‘13 LS 1.8L 6MT

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,165 Posts
Hello All!

it’s a ‘13 LS 1.8L 6MT
Along with what Maqcro1 said, check both temp sensors and make sure the cooling system is bled completely.

AC off Due to high engine temp links
Troubleshooting temp sensors
Post in thread 'Chevy Cruze engine swap'
Another possibility:
Post in thread '#PI0762D: Coolant Leak at Water Pump - (Aug 1, 2013)'

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.