Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it has been less than a 1000 miles since last oil change. I have specifically asked my mechanic to drain it preventively, and was charged for it

Fast forward to now:
The car set for 3 weeks, while I was on vacay (1/4 tank full). I come back and get the "..water in fuel ... see you dealer ..." message.

So I drain the fuel filter housing myself, slightly less than 1/2 liter came out. Picture attached you can see white on the bottom after the water has settled, however a little was spilled when the drain just started so this may not be very accurate.

Yellow Automotive wheel system Vehicle Rim Wheel

However the message shows up again. I have reset it 1/2 dozen times however it comes back at seemingly random intervals.

Any ideas on what to do next?

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Run that tank out as low as you can and then fill up with fresh fuel at a station that has a high turn over so the fuel is fresh and go from there. Draining the filter is a good thing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Run that tank out as low as you can and then fill up with fresh fuel at a station that has a high turn over so the fuel is fresh and go from there. Draining the filter is a good thing.
What BlueTopaz said:th_coolio:

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I make an effort to only buy from a couple stations about 90% of the time and I haven't changed filter or ever drained water from system in almost 39k miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will do what is recommended above and get back to you all. Although it will be a pain with 600 mile range :)

Blue topaz, are you sayin to drain the filter for 3rd time?

Another informational question for my curiosity, where is the water sensor located and how does it detect water?

·
Registered
355 Posts
If it is saying there is water in there I would drain it, its better than it ending up going though your injectors. There is a sensor that is located on the other side of that drain plug.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have only bought Premium Diesel since I have owned the car, and thankfully have not had any issues with water yet. I am really curious to see what the water content is like and the condition of the fuel filter when the next change comes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, success!

So sometime in mid august I got to drain my filter again. This time at least a 1.5 liters. Since than I have gone through 3-5 tanks the message did not come back. I would guess the root cause of the problem is that draining .5 liter from the filter on the initial try was not sufficient.

Thank you all for helping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.