Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago after a heavy rain the previous night, I got into my 2012 Cruze ECO to find a large puddle of water in the passenger floorboard. I assumed that the passenger door had not been shut completely and cleaned the water then went on about my day. I installed Husky All Weather floor mats the day after I bought the car to protect the carpet, and in this case was thankful for them.

Last week, we had a few days of very heavy rain and I noticed that the puddle had reappeared. This time, I investigated further. The water could be seen on the floor mat from where it had dripped. The piece of the dash in front of the passengers knees wraps under the glovebox and stops before reaching the interior firewall. This is where the water appears to be dripping from and down onto the floor mat. When I reach under that piece of the dash, I can get my fingers in behind it and it feels like a there is a piece of water saturated foam in there.

I just passed 14k miles on the car, and also purchased the extended warranty.

What could this problem be, and will the factory warranty cover it? Has anyone else encountered this as well?

(Apparently I have to take the car in for the brake recall, so I plan to have this looked at as well. However, I'm afraid that the techs will not be able to recreate the problem to fix it.)

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Floor Auto part Steel

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking it's the windshield seal leaking, but I'm not convinced that the seal is the only viable option causing the problem. With that said, I've learned to NEVER go into a shop and tell them what you THINK the problem is.

I know that my warranty doesn't cover glass, but does it cover the seal? Needless to say that I will be pretty perturbed to find that it's not covered after owning the car for only 7.5 months/14k miles.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
The bumper to bumper warranty covers everything even manufacturing defects in the glass. However wear items(clutch, brake pads) or physical damage to glass or any other part is not covered.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
About a month ago after a heavy rain the previous night, I got into my 2012 Cruze ECO to find a large puddle of water in the passenger floorboard. I assumed that the passenger door had not been shut completely and cleaned the water then went on about my day. I installed Husky All Weather floor mats the day after I bought the car to protect the carpet, and in this case was thankful for them.

Last week, we had a few days of very heavy rain and I noticed that the puddle had reappeared. This time, I investigated further. The water could be seen on the floor mat from where it had dripped. The piece of the dash in front of the passengers knees wraps under the glovebox and stops before reaching the interior firewall. This is where the water appears to be dripping from and down onto the floor mat. When I reach under that piece of the dash, I can get my fingers in behind it and it feels like a there is a piece of water saturated foam in there.

I just passed 14k miles on the car, and also purchased the extended warranty.

What could this problem be, and will the factory warranty cover it? Has anyone else encountered this as well?

(Apparently I have to take the car in for the brake recall, so I plan to have this looked at as well. However, I'm afraid that the techs will not be able to recreate the problem to fix it.)

View attachment 30497
airbornedave,

Sorry to hear of your vehicle concerns. I understand how frustrating that can be. We'd be happy to monitor the service visit on your behalf and remain in communication with the service adviser during the entire process. Feel free to contact us privately if we can offer that additional assistance.

Kindly,

William R. (assisting Jackie & Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Ft. Bragg ? Which unit , how many jumps , who ahh
Welcome to the cruze talk Be Cool Stay Cozy Keep Cruzen and My very Best Wishes to a CoPatriot !
Now take that cruzen to your Dealer and tell them Brian V sent you to have them fix this leaking mess that you have found yourself with , on the double .

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ft. Bragg ? Which unit , how many. ny jumps , who ahh
Welcome to the cruze talk Be Cool Stay Cozy Keep Cruzen and My very Best Wishes to a CoPatriot !
Now take that cruzen to your Dealer and tell them Brian V sent you to have them fix this leaking mess that you have found yourself with , on the double .
Ft Campbell, 101st AB Div. 2/502, Charlie Co. 9 jumps

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Have you checked to see if leaves have blocked the drains under the hood at the firewall. There is a drain on both sides that can get blocked and leave water no where to go. If partially blocked will only cause problem in heavy rain. Worth a look at least.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked for leaves, and everything was all clear. I'm dropping the Cruze off to the service department on Wednesday to fix this issue, get an oil change, and to change the trunk latch relay so that it doesn't continue to open with the button getting pressed once in my pocket.

Hopefully they can find and fix the water issue. That's my biggest concern with the car.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi airbornedave

Please keep me posted on your next service visit and let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything that I can do to assist you.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have you tried a shamwow to absorb the water until the problem can be fixed
I'm not sure exactly where the water is coming in from. I dropped the car off at my dealership last night, and they are fixing this and a few other things today. Hopefully they can find the problem because I haven't been able to recreate it to trace the leak.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I picked my Cruze up from the dealership today. After having it all day, they could not recreate the issue and fixed nothing. Informed me to bring it in again sometime and they would have Safelite Glass come in with electronic test equipment to find the leak.

Does Safelite have such a thing? And I'll have to take ANOTHER day off from work because they don't give loaner cars.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you by any chance have a Sun Roof? These are notorious for leaking.
No sun roof. I avoid those like the plague due to that exact reason.

I've checked the A/C condensation, and it drips to the ground like it's supposed to without pooling up anyplace. I've checked both drains at the firewall for leaves/debris, both are clear.

This has happened every time we have had a heavy rain for several hours, and ONLY when there's heavy rain. Both times the car has been sitting in the driveway, so I can't attest to what it dies on road.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It seems your dealer wants Safelite-Glass to do a fix they perhaps are just lazy to really check out the underneath of the dash to see a trail stain left by the water. I wonder perhaps the water is leaking from the cabin filter did they at least look into that area. Way to many dealer have reached a point if it throws no error code then lets wait till it does.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
So I picked my Cruze up from the dealership today. After having it all day, they could not recreate the issue and fixed nothing. Informed me to bring it in again sometime and they would have Safelite Glass come in with electronic test equipment to find the leak.

Does Safelite have such a thing? And I'll have to take ANOTHER day off from work because they don't give loaner cars.
No every Chevrolet Dealership should give a loaner or give you a ride to work demand the rental or ask them to pay for your day off I would.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've wondered about that, but at the same time if Safelite can do it quicker and more precisely I'm all for that. But why not do it today while they had the car instead of me having to take it back for another full day.

The only answer I can think of is because they don't want to put me in a loaner.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
I've wondered about that, but at the same time if Safelite can do it quicker and more precisely I'm all for that. But why not do it today while they had the car instead of me having to take it back for another full day.

The only answer I can think of is because they don't want to put me in a loaner.
Remember customer is always right demand that rental.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.