Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no access to E85 around here, what water meth kit is best? What kind of power can I be expecting to gain over my current BNR pump tune? How much methanol am I going to be going through? Thanks guys :redface:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have no access to E85 around here, what water meth kit is best? What kind of power can I be expecting to gain over my current BNR pump tune? How much methanol am I going to be going through? Thanks guys :redface:
On my Solstice, I got the AEM kit with the progressive controller, so far it has worked great no issues. At first I was running the medium jet (500) for about 300 hp, seemed like it was quite efficient and the bottle took a long time to empty. During some testing, I changed to the large 1000 jet 800 hp, that thing drains it pretty quick, like half-gallon on a Friday night of hotrodding.

For the 1.4T, you'll be using a tiny jet (probably the small AEM 250 size) and since it only turns on during high boost (via boost switch), I think it will last a long time in this vehicle. I will be trying out the Snow Performance kit on the Cruze here this spring, but overall the systems are pretty robust as it is just a pump and some basic plumbing and wiring, if anything installation is the risk here. Also, there are accessories that should be required such as a pre-filter for the meth and solenoid valve at the nozzle depending on how/where you install the nozzle.

Gains will be dependent on how risky you want to take it; increasing Boost PSI and increasing Timing are how you gain with Meth, but both of those things increase risk of detonation rightfully so. Meth inj. active fail safes are expensive. If the Meth pump doesn't turn on or you have a clogged nozzle, you know you had an optimized aggressive tune if the engine blows up because the tune was taking full advantage of the Meth injection.

Were you planning on dyno tuning the new setup? Do you have a WBO2?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have HP deluxe suite and would be tuning through BNR since no one can efficiently tune the E78. I've had other tunes in the past and they were all terrible compared to BNR. I just want to make some more power and am willing to go pretty aggressive. I am planning on doing a bigger turbo sometime here too, as I've pieced together the manifold and hardware needed. I just need a better fuel source and meth will allow me to take more advantage of pump gas. I've just never done meth before as I would usual use race gas. However, that is unfeasible due to the cost of dailying a vehicle on race gas and the inaccessibility of race gas depending where I am.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"One of our Cruze 1.4T customers running this kit is making 192WHP and 237WTQ and went [email protected] in the 1/4"
That is very out of date. People are making more WHP and WTQ on pump gas without meth now. I haven't heard much about meth in years because everyone is running E. I don't have access to E unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
That is very out of date. People are making more WHP and WTQ on pump gas without meth now. I haven't heard much about meth in years because everyone is running E. I don't have access to E unfortunately.
I mean, you won't see 50/50 gains, but I'd hazard to guess 20.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Snow really knows their stuff with the water/meth systems as well. I don't know if they make a kit for the 1.4L, but you may be able to use one of their universal kits. I'd give them a call for sure...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oh wow,
I got the Snow performance gm maf kit w/e
The controller is pretty good, holds up to -40 and i dont feel the need to cover it when pressure washing...
The pump that comes with it tho... little bit of water and salt and it seized quickly (1st winter)
I ended up going with snow performance again (despite my dissatisfaction) and got the extreme environments pump. which was as much as the kit on its own, but it was fully sealed. (stock pump rebuilt with extra seals)

And that thing has been super reliable. i would recommend self sealing the pump in retrospec

AEM flow gauge.
No fail safe, engine will naturally pull back alot on my aggressive ECP trifecta tune

·
Registered
206 Posts

I have experience calibrating the E78, but don't claim to know everything or am an expert.

On 93 octane, I was maxing out the stock injectors. When you get near 100% duty, it seems like WOT fuel is harder to control, not as consistent. I am running 42 lb giants (overkill, I'm not running E85), it's running maybe 60% duty at WOT. With that I have a consistent flat line AFR to redline. I am running 20 psi boost, reduced knock sensitivity, and more timing than the stock knock settings. Is your car at the limits like I am assuming my car is, like are you injectors maxed out? With meth (50%), you will actually be able to enrichen the AFR while it is on as a side note.

·
Banned
260 Posts
A little off topic but it might be nice to see what Snow could do for the 2.0L Cruze TD :feedback: kind of like what they did for the VW TDI ??:go:

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
A little off topic but it might be nice to see what Snow could do for the 2.0L Cruze TD :feedback: kind of like what they did for the VW TDI ??:go:
I would think you could install the same kit. I may do it on my Cruze Diesel, but if I do I will go with a smaller tank and put it under the hood, since the trunk is so small anyhow...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm I may hop on this soon. I'll probably put the reservoir in the trunk. I'm curious to see what kind of gains I'll make with all the bolt ons and stuff.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hmmm I may hop on this soon. I'll probably put the reservoir in the trunk. I'm curious to see what kind of gains I'll make with all the bolt ons and stuff.

I too like the idea of a trunk mount tank in the Cruze. From my research, it appears there is a check valve in the latest version of the Snow Performance nozzle holders (comes with the kit). Looks like if the nozzle is before the throttle plates, you can get away with the check valve. If the nozzle is behind it, then it sees vacuum and will need a solenoid. My Solstice meth install has the nozzle before the throttle, it is above the pump and reservoir, and the tube between the pump and nozzle is only a few feet long...so no solenoid or check valve was required for this install.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts