Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I check my oil this morning & I noticed the level drop just slightly on the coolant reservoir tank. So after looking further I noticed a swelled up place the hose coming off the water outlet. There doesn't seem to be a leak that I can actually tell I put my finger under the hose & I can feel it wet & like its gummy/sticky I am assuming that is the coolant hot?, I have posted a pic to see.

Also does anyone know the proper hose I'll need & new clamps ?

outlet-hose.jpg

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well it seems it the inlet hose I am referring too I have found the parts I think I need & I have posted the details below for the part #s & they are OEM - is these fair pricing & will these part #s fit my 2011 Cruze 1.4L Turbo ?

• $6.14 2 x $3.07

INLET HOSE CLAMP Part #11570871

• INLET HOSE Part #55565952 $7.96

The shipping cost about as much as the part's themselves at $13.86.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
The picture is a little out of focus, but from what I can tell the hose doesn't look like it was reattached perfectly straight - or the pressure cap has gone bad.

Either way I'd be visiting a qualified service department for their opinion.

Reactions: joshuab

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The picture is a little out of focus, but from what I can tell the hose doesn't look like it was reattached perfectly straight - or the pressure cap has gone bad.

Either way I'd be visiting a qualified service department for their opinion.
From the look of it, its swelled not fully busted but you see its expanding. Now, the hose looks straight forward on replacing just moving the two clamps removing the whole thing & replace w/ new hose & 2 clamps.

Now the hose looks snug on there top & bottom, replacing this is what I need to do tho am I correct? Cause I am on the site to purchase; I really don't want to purchase this hose at the dealership as they are HIGH & installation is extremely high, I paid I think $263.00 dollars last time to replace a inner cooler hose.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
From the look of it, its swelled not fully busted but you see its expanding. Now, the hose looks straight forward on replacing just moving the two clamps removing the whole thing & replace w/ new hose & 2 clamps.

Now the hose looks snug on there top & bottom, replacing this is what I need to do tho am I correct? Cause I am on the site to purchase; I really don't want to purchase this hose at the dealership as they are HIGH & installation is extremely high, I paid I think $263.00 dollars last time to replace a inner cooler hose.
In my view the hose looks highly irregular. If it is a EPDM hose from the factory then it is my sense that something else is causing it than the hose itself. I have never seen one (EPDM factory hose) fail without a root cause.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
In my view the hose looks highly irregular. If it is a EPDM hose from the factory then it is my sense that something else is causing it than the hose itself. I have never seen one (EPDM factory hose) fail without a root cause.
Kinda what I was thinking too, I just didn't want to think something else is failing. In hopes it was just a hose, take the two clamps off & just replace but as you said 'root' cause I am sure the issue will just show itself again.

& btw, this is still the factory hose I can see the GM stamp on it which is towards the bottom & not at the top, possible upside down?; So in theory what would cause something like this, a pressure cap for the reservoir tank or maybe something deeper?; I have a warranty on the engine but when it consist of coolant side of things it get gray.

Edit : I don't know if this is helpful or not, but when I look down on the water outlet there isn't anything leaking around it it but I did notice coolant color looking stuff there real sticky, & when I put my fingers under the inlet hose that is swollen it felt really sticky I have never felt that before.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Kinda what I was thinking too, I just didn't want to think something else is failing. In hopes it was just a hose, take the two clamps off & just replace but as you said 'root' cause I am sure the issue will just show itself again.

& btw, this is still the factory hose I can see the GM stamp on it which is towards the bottom & not at the top, possible upside down?; So in theory what would cause something like this, a pressure cap for the reservoir tank or maybe something deeper?; I have a warranty on the engine but when it consist of coolant side of things it get gray.

Edit : I don't know if this is helpful or not, but when I look down on the water outlet there isn't anything leaking around it it but I did notice coolant color looking stuff there real sticky, & when I put my fingers under the inlet hose that is swollen it felt really sticky I have never felt that before.
Whatever it is I'd be hesitant to drive it anywhere except directly to my preferred dealership service department.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whatever it is I'd be hesitant to drive it anywhere except directly to my preferred dealership service department.

I just had this engine replaced at 64K & now at 68K this issue, would you think dealership should handle this I honestly do & if I am wrong let me know this? As right now I am very upset!!

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
I just had this engine replaced at 64K & now at 68K this issue, would you think dealership should handle this I honestly do & if I am wrong let me know this? As right now I am very upset!!
That would be inside the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty for repair work.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
You've been through a lot. You have always maintained your composure and impressed the heck out of everybody. It is how you gained VIP status here.

Having said that, you're entitled to your emotions.

But as long as you make your case as calmly and professionally as in the past I don't see any reason why your dealership won't work with you.

However, please take several in focus pictures to try to establish for the dealership what you're observing today.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be inside the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty for repair work.
Great! That is awesome news, because my original warranty expired about 3/mos ago. I do in fact still have the CCL ( Coverage Component Letter ); however I should have received a warranty w/ the new engine replacement; here is the part I don't quite understand will this 12/mo 12,000 warranty apply to any coolant issue?

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've been through a lot. You have always maintained your composure and impressed the heck out of everybody. It is how you gained VIP status here.

Having said that, you're entitled to your emotions.

But as long as you make your case as calmly and professionally as in the past I don't see any reason why your dealership won't work with you.

However, please take several in focus pictures to try to establish for the dealership what you're observing today.
I appreciate your comments Tomko! & yeah I am a bit upset w/ the whole situation but as I mentioned many times what good is it gonna do me to pick up the phone & start yelling & screaming this & that, that won't get you anywhere. I always believed in being respectful & it will always get you further.

So I will get some pics send them over to the service manager in the morning & see if he can get my car in for check-in & repair, just sucks but here we go again for another round!

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Great! That is awesome news, because my original warranty expired about 3/mos ago. I do in fact still have the CCL ( Coverage Component Letter ); however I should have received a warranty w/ the new engine replacement; here is the part I don't quite understand will this 12/mo 12,000 warranty apply to any coolant issue?
It should since the hoses had to be disconnected and reconnected. Something's wrong with that hose. While hoses aren't covered under the power train I suspect your dealership will replace it as a goodwill repair (i.e., embarrassment they missed a bad hose) given you have the CCL.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am gonna purchase that inlet hose & clamps from the GM direct site, but first I am gonna take it & make sure everything is OK. I think a good hose change would have worked but Tomko advised that it should be checked further so I think I will.

I was looking at it earlier after it cooled a bit further, & I noticed some orange coolant on the outlet, however its weird as it not moving & it sorted look "jelled" there? & when I opened the reservoir tank & looked down in there, it looks "thick" this could be because its under my car port & I had a flash light, so I am gonna check it further tomorrow myself. Never seen that before, the oil looks copper tinted.

There hasn't been any indication of over heating or major leaks; just a seep coming from under that inlet hose, & again when I touch it w/ my finger & then take my thumb & feel it together it feels sorta like glue? Weird!!

Also, this engine was replaced under the warranty so this wouldn't apply to "12/mo 12,000" mileage would it? This only apply to customer paid replacement is this correct ?

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
I am gonna purchase that inlet hose & clamps from the GM direct site, but first I am gonna take it & make sure everything is OK. I think a good hose change would have worked but Tomko advised that it should be checked further so I think I will.

I was looking at it earlier after it cooled a bit further, & I noticed some orange coolant on the outlet, however its weird as it not moving & it sorted look "jelled" there? & when I opened the reservoir tank & looked down in there, it looks "thick" this could be because its under my car port & I had a flash light, so I am gonna check it further tomorrow myself. Never seen that before, the oil looks copper tinted.

There hasn't been any indication of over heating or major leaks; just a seep coming from under that inlet hose, & again when I touch it w/ my finger & then take my thumb & feel it together it feels sorta like glue? Weird!!

Also, this engine was replaced under the warranty so this wouldn't apply to "12/mo 12,000" mileage would it? This only apply to customer paid replacement is this correct ?
Hoses aren't covered under the power train warranty. The engine is covered.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Correct, so I am debating should I take it & for them to say the only thing I find is a bad hose, that will be $100 dollars; & then I gotta come home purchase my hose & clamps & change & off I go. But to be honest I never seen a hose swell like that, but I do remember when my inner cooler hose started leaking bad coolant; the tech said it swelled so bad it busted one of the clamps off. That repair costed over $200 bucks, but didn't want to dig into changing that.

So any suggestions on that?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I would replace the hoses myself if it were my car and save the $100. Keep the receipts. I still wonder if this car has deeper issues, it doesn't seem to be a trouble free car in any sense of the word. But it is still running. Hoses do wear out, so just be thankful you see a potential problem before it leaked fluid and could cause serious over heating issues.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Please post a picture zoomed out a little further. The connection of the top hose that goes back to the coolant bottle has been redesigned from 2011-2012's to a newer style connection in 2013.

I'm not sure it's the hose with the hose clamp leaking down, or if it's the black plastic connection that comes out the top. There's threads on the water outlet repair, which would be under powertrain or an engine 12 month /12,000 mile warranty.

We'd have to get some pictures of the connection on the top of the water outlet that goes to the coolant bottle to confirm which version you have. That "coat hanger looking clip" is the only thing holding that entire connection together. There's a gasket in there as well. If that gasket is not holding, you could see signs of coolant on/near the EPDM hose with the clamps.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll get some more pics today hopefully better ones, I will get it out in the sunlight to get a better shot hopefully. Also I have a question regarding that inlet hose, it may sound crazy, but can you have the hose upside down?, Because the part number & GM stamp from all the images I have seen that part is connected to the water outlet, on mine that GM & part number is hooked at the bottom nothing like I have seen in pics of this hose.

I have also went ahead & order my hose & two new clamps, in any event I want to change this before taking to dealership, I don't want this hose to bust on the trip there & cost me nearly $200 bucks to send it to the dealership for a simple repair. So its $27.00 well spent that should get me safely there once it comes in.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well since day light I went outside & re-inspected everything & all seems well no large or even 'small' leaks that I can actually see. I cleaned the area of drops of coolant then took it out for a drive & came back, I didn't notice any coolant on any components but I put my finger under the inlet hose underneath it & I felt wet coolant which leads me to think possible the hose has went bad but needless to say from the images. The car isn't getting hot, but that hose is really HOT.

Also could the hose half way failed when the engine overheated when they had to replace the engine, maybe the hose partly damaged at that time? & then just wore out from the inside out?

So here is the images any suggestions what you think w/ these images ( also note : there isn't any coolant near the block to the outlet at all );

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

1 - 20 of 46 Posts