Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas everyone!

Long story short.. loosing coolant (no visible leaks and no codes) 3 wks ago, took car in to dealer who replaced water pump(under special warranty) and thermostat(not covered by GM) car was fine until Friday ... recovery tank down 1/2 litre , back to dealer, coolant inlet hose was cracked , $170.00 and2 hours later I was on my way.

My question is, does a water pump lubricant help for preventative maintenance and if so what Brand?

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Water Pump lubrication additive ? 2011 Cruze lt auto 48,000 miles

<strong>Merry Christmas everyone!<br><br>Long story short.. loosing coolant (no visible leaks and no codes) 3 wks ago, took car in to dealer who replaced water pump(under special warranty) and thermostat(not covered by GM) car was fine until Friday ... recovery tank down 1/2 litre , back to dealer, coolant inlet hose was cracked , $170.00 and2 hours later I was on my way.<br><br>My question is, does a water pump lubricant help for preventative maintenance and if so what Brand?<br><br>Thanks</strong>

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
A 'water pump lubricant', (water soluble oil) might, (underline might), lengthen the service life of the water pumps mechanical seal.
It will have no effect on the plastic and rubber parts such as the cracked hose coupling you experienced.
These plastic cooling system parts first started showing up on German cars around ten years ago. They came about to speed production during assembly since most use a 'O' ring and snap clip to retain and no tools are required for assembly.
This reduces the chance of a hose not properly tightened on the assembly line.
The down side, plastic gets brittle after many heat cycles and merely bumping a connector while servicing will often fracture the part, leading to its failure in short order.

Enough history.......a water pump lubricant lessens the chance of the spring, that holds the mechanical seal tension against a companion face, from rusting and losing that tension. If tension is lost, the seal can seep coolant across its machined face and from there, out of the 'weep hole' that is at the bottom of the water pump.
The purpose of the weep hole is to prevent coolant from reaching the water pump shaft bearings to avoid a mechanical failure of the pump.

So, as long as coolant is exchanged per recommendations (5 years for Dex-Cool) internal rust should not ever be an issue.
With that in mind, I see no need for a formal coolant additive such as a water pump lube.

Dang......I talk too much.

Have a great holiday.....car should be fine for now.

Rob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Blasirl, I see how to do myself, hopefully will last until I get another Cruze!:th_angelsmiley4:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts