Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Cruze 2LT 1.4L Turbo with automatic transmission is back in the shop for it's second water pump failure (first one was replace 5k miles ago). The car has a little over 30k miles and is beyond the 3 year bumper to bumper. The check engine light has not come on, but the coolant level has dropped since first replacement. I can smell coolant and see coolant in engine bay around water pump area, but nothing on the ground.

It's been almost two weeks now and am still being told that the water pump is on "national backorder". Anyone else experiencing or heard of this?

I have a loaner vehicle, but just curious if I'll ever see my car again LOL.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
First, welcome to CruzeTalk.

The water pumps are covered for 10 years/150,000 miles so you don't need to worry about warranty. However, the fact that your dealership is telling you they're on national back order means one of two things - the dealership forgot to order it, or there is a redesign that isn't available yet and the old ones are gone from inventory.

PM our Chevy Customer Care account and give them your VIN and the dealership name. They may be able to shake a water pump free for you.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
However, the fact that your dealership is telling you they're on national back order means one of two things - the dealership forgot to order it, or there is a redesign that isn't available yet and the old ones are gone from inventory.
And then there might be a "third possibility that we hadn't even counted upon".

I thought I read on here that there might be a situation with certain parts when they are "scarce". These parts have to be ordered a special way and to fix a customer's car. (May require submitting VIN.) Standard orders, like the kind to replenish stock, are denied. The dealer's parts guy might be misreading the situation and calling it a "national backorder" when in fact they are available for cars that need them.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Could be all three. But my guess is a revised design is somewhere in the pipeline.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Yeah, but guess what - you have to pay for those out of pocket.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The new water pump will be in tomorrow, which makes it 15 days to receive. The service advisor really did not have an answer for me when asked over the phone as to the reasoning of the backorder. I will be giving the parts manager a visit when the work has been completed to get some resolution. My hope is that this is a new design and not a supply and demand issue of the same failing pump.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The new water pump will be in tomorrow, which makes it 15 days to receive. The service advisor really did not have an answer for me when asked over the phone as to the reasoning of the backorder. I will be giving the parts manager a visit when the work has been completed to get some resolution. My hope is that this is a new design and not a supply and demand issue of the same failing pump.

Keep us posted what you find out.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
That has to be the original design pump.

The current pump is packaged with new, tty bolts and the gasket.

The secondary pump early failures seem to have a couple of common contributors........re use of the fasteners and incorrect tty proceedure.

In reading the e bay ad, the notes indicate the item is 'pump only'......this has not been sold as an individual service part for quite some time.......thats OK, but then you have to get the bolts and gasket.

Rob

·
Registered
692 Posts
At least they gave you a rental, though I know it's not the same. When my car was in the shop for a paint bubble, they gave me an Impala. I couldn't wait to get my Cruze back

1 - 19 of 19 Posts