Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've driven a Nissan since I sold my 1985 Camera. I'm a huge Nissan fan. The cars that I’ve driven have turned over 200,000 miles with little to no maintainable up keep. We were looking for a new/used car with great gas mileage. My husband wanted a Civic or Sentra. I fell in love with the Cruze. This is my story and I'm going to tell it to everybody that will listen...

We purchased a used 2013 Cruze in January, 2014, against my husband’s better instinct. I drive it home and there is a terrible smell. I think it's where the dealership has cleaned the engine. The weather is bad, we don't drive it for two more days due to road conditions. When I finally drive it again, my 8 year old begins sneezing, my eyes are watering and I get a headache. I get home and I smell antifreeze. We pop the hood and the reservoir tank is empty. I take the car back to the dealership. The car has 44,000 miles on it. They promise to make it right. We were without the car for one month with Chevrolet telling us "they need to replicate the problem and can find nothing.”

Yet I can Google the problem and there are over 1400 sites describing the problem. There are news broadcast and people with doctor bills. I'm sick! Three dealerships later, I decide that I’ve got to live with the problem. Thank God this is a third car and I don’t have to drive it. When we do drive it, we use with air fresheners and cracked windows.

Then in the last two months, I start getting recalls in the mail for the coolant reserve tank being empty and one month later the water pump issue, which I’m sure is one of my problems. You can always smell antifreeze (unless you work for a Chevrolet dealership) and you can hear the coolant dripping. I get excited, GM is going to make this right. On Tuesday, I take my car to VannYork GM Chevrolet in High Point, NC for the recall. Good news, they found three coolant leaks on my 2013 car, now with 52,000 miles. Two of the three leaks are under warranty but the third is a leak around the turbo charger and it’s going to cost me $356.00 to have it fixed, but don’t be upset because it’s costing GM $600.00. I’m not upset, I’m livid! Then they tell me it’s normal wear and tear on a car for gaskets to start leaking coolant around the turbo charger. NO IT’S NOT!

So, my story gets better… I contact the 1-800-222-1020 number to spend 1 hour on the telephone with individuals that barely speak understandable English. I get a case #71-1393959958 with a promise that someone will be in touch with me in 24 to 48 hours. And, of course I did not hear a word from anyone. So, I call the direct line to my case worker or “CARE” manager to find out the number is non-working. I get back on the phone and spend another hour to be told, “it’s normal wear and tear.” At the end of my conversation, I was basically told that I’m being unreasonable and that GM would do nothing to help me.

I'm going to contact anybody that will listen to me. I'm starting with your company and I will then go from here. PLEASE help me! How can you manufacture a car for three years with this same issue? It's a huge problem! Go online and search, seeing how upset everyone is and how few people are finding answers or solutions. How can you expect consumers to continue to buy your products?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Trust me when I say you you are not alone on this issue, We do have Patsy from chevy customer care on here that has resolved quite a few issues on the forum (Myself included) with the Cruze coolant issues. I'm not sure why they are giving you the run around on a recall item tho? Maybe some of the other guys might ave some additional info on this?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Contact our Chevy Customer Care folks here. In the meantime, do the following and check and answer the following questions:

Find a different dealership. The one you went to hasn't bothered to keep up with the TSBs, PIs, and NIs regarding the Cruze coolant and HVAC systems.

Do you have a strong coolant smell under the hood? If yes you have a water pump leak - warranty item. If not but the coolant is low (and it most likely is low) have it refilled at dealer expense per GM.

Next, describe the cabin odor. If it's earthy/dirty socks/laundry it's mold & mildew. Treat the HVAC system for mold and mildew and have the dealership turn on the HVAC afterblow feature, which acts like a hair dryer after you turn off the car. Finally, once coolant leaks and mold are eliminated as the source, determine if you only smell this odor when you're running the cabin heater - it stinks up the car and is nauseating. If so, the HVAC ducting will need to be replaced. Take a look at http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-s...e-cabin-odors-sources-resolution-summary.html for more details on this issue.

Depending on how long you've had this car you may be able to get GM to cover this under a used car customer satisfaction program.

Finally, this odor is probably why that Cruze was traded in.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Finally, this odor is probably why that Cruze was traded in.
Which means the dealership probably knew about it and chose to ignore it which is a whole different issue in itself.

·
10,712 Posts
Which means the dealership probably knew about it and chose to ignore it which is a whole different issue in itself.
I would like to "believe" a dealership would not do such thing. Funny part is I had a bad water pump in my 13 and never smelled a thing. I also swapped out the cabin filter 11 months into ownership, Pollen dusting is horrible here and in NJ.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I would like to "believe" a dealership would not do such thing. Funny part is I had a bad water pump in my 13 and never smelled a thing. I also swapped out the cabin filter 11 months into ownership, Pollen dusting is horrible here and in NJ.
Wouldn't the dealer need to fix the recall before they even sell the car to a consumer tho if it's sitting in there lot when the recall comes out at a Chevy dealership? Or at least tell them there is a recall on it when it's purchased? Idk sounds sketchy to me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
10,712 Posts
Wouldn't the dealer need to fix the recall before they even sell the car to a consumer tho if it's sitting in there lot when the recall comes out at a Chevy dealership? Or at least tell them there is a recall on it when it's purchased? Idk sounds sketchy to me.

Then again we had people buy a 2014 that was on the list for an axle and had it taken back from them a few days later when we been posting about if for almost a month.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
The HVAC duct replacement is PI-0935. It's not a recall so dealers aren't required to repair this before selling the car. Also, if the dealership doesn't run the cabin heater they won't even know if the car has this problem. People trading in a problem car aren't required or likely to tell the dealership about any outstanding issues.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
220*F heat on the heater core with leaks form a rather sweet smelling but deadly odor due to the coolant steaming off. Highly dangerous in that it can result in kidney failure.

Burning coolant hitting the hot exhaust manifold can seep through that hood gasket directly into the so-called fresh air intake, also deadly. Nothing to fool with. Had a cousin years ago die from kidney failure. Been number of heater core leaks reported here.

An age old but very quiet problem ever since glycerin antifreeze replaced alcohol. Read this dex-cool safety sheet.

https://www.conncoll.edu/media/website-media/offices/ehs/envhealthdocs/Antifreeze.pdf

On older vehicles, use to use a heater shut off valve, now always hot and part of the engine cooling system. Had heater core failures before. First thing to to kill the heater, next is to roll down the windows regardless of the outside temperature if living close to home, and stick your head out the window until repairs can be made. My cousin was only 23 years old, lived another two very painful years, then finally passed away. Stuff like this does happen, unfortunately was driving a junker to college, and didn't know any better.

Young kids in the car? Get them out of there!

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
The HVAC duct replacement is PI-0935. It's not a recall so dealers aren't required to repair this before selling the car. Also, if the dealership doesn't run the cabin heater they won't even know if the car has this problem. People trading in a problem car aren't required or likely to tell the dealership about any outstanding issues.
Aren't they doing inspections on these cars when they take them in and not sending them to auction?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
If they inspected the car in the summer they would only have turned the HVAC to heat long enough to feel the heat start coming out but not long enough for the odor to start coming out.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Aren't they doing inspections on these cars when they take them in and not sending them to auction?
Individual dealership personnel issue. They do what they want to do. I once traded in an 18 month old Ford product and gave the dealership the 14 page log of problems/repairs/issues on the car with the advice they should auction it out of state. The next day the Used Car Sales Manager sold it to someone. Two weeks later the new owner returned it and said if they didn't buy it back, he was going to drive it through the front windows of the dealership. I happened to know the General Manager of the dealership and he relayed this story to me. Five years later, I saw the vehicle (it had a unique paint job) on the streets in Michigan.

Reactions: Merc6 and obermd

·
Premium Member
522 Posts

There is no recall on water pumps. There is a Special Coverage, extending the warranty period if a water pump fails.

#14371: Special Coverage Adjustment - Engine Coolant Leak from Water Pump - (Oct 6, 2014)
Subject: 14371 – Special Coverage Adjustment – Engine Coolant Leak from the Water Pump
Models: 2011-2014 Chevrolet Cruze
2012-2014 Chevrolet Sonic
With 1.4L Engine (RPO LUJ or LUV)
[HR][/HR]ConditionSome 2011-2014 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicles and some 2012-2014 Chevrolet Sonic vehicles with the 1.4L engine may have an engine coolant leak from the water pump. The pump may leak from the weep reservoir or from the water pump shaft seal, leading to a drip of coolant onto the engine or onto the ground. Over time, the loss of coolant will reduce cooling performance and eventually could lead to engine overheating. If this condition is not corrected, the “Service Engine” indicator light may come on, an “Engine Hot, AC Off” message may appear, a chime may sound, and the engine power may be reduced.
Special Coverage AdjustmentThis special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
Dealers are to replace the water pump if it is leaking. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Reactions: obermd and Merc6

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I would bet my last dollar that the gaskets failed because of lack of lubrication from the coolant disappearing. You shouldn't have to pay a cent. Turbo is covered under the powertrain warranty and I don't believe it stipulates what part of the turbo. Mine lost coolant too. I had to buy a gallon of ready mix dex-cool to keep it filled. Luckily they finally found my leak at the water pump and the level has stayed the same since. Sorry for your problems but these things happen on all cars but that doesn't mean the responsible parties should not fix their problems.

I hope GM wises up and does the correct action and pay for all your problems. I bet once your car is fixed your coolant level should stay the same. I have to say that GM has covered all my problems with my car under warranty without any kind of argument. Which I cannot say the same thing about toyota and the corolla I owned before my cruze.

Good luck and don't give up and keep fighting.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Not a water pump recall, just a 150,000 mile or ten year extended warranty, whichever comes first, on it.

Its not that water pump I am concerned about, all those special purpose snap together plastic fittings that are a lot easier to snap together than to unsnap, without breaking the darn things.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sorry that the OP is having these issues with their Cruze.

But at the same time making sure to mention how "reliable" Nissans have been to you does nothing to help. Nissan reliability is no better than GM and both fall short of Honda easily. We probably have 5 times as many domestic owners as Nissan owners yet the last two cars we fixed with a blown headgasket were both 2.0 Sentras with under 100k miles on them. I could also go into detail about how many Nissan owners have had their "stainless" steel exhaust rot prematurely costing them lots of money on cars less than 5 years old. Seems to be worse on Versa but plenty of Sentras as well.

I also find it curious that a car that has to be driven with air fresheners and windows cracked open could have been driven 11,000 miles in less than a year with the issue being as bad as you say it is. A car as bad as you say it is shouldn't even be driven, you should have gotten a lawyer and taken them to court for a buyback of such a dangerous vehicle.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yup, antifreeze fumes are damaging to our kidneys.

Although I don't agree that honduh is a more reliable vehicle than any other vehicle, coasting on their name alone does not make them a reliable vehicle just because they once were.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Sorry that the OP is having these issues with their Cruze.

But at the same time making sure to mention how "reliable" Nissans have been to you does nothing to help. Nissan reliability is no better than GM and both fall short of Honda easily. We probably have 5 times as many domestic owners as Nissan owners yet the last two cars we fixed with a blown headgasket were both 2.0 Sentras with under 100k miles on them. I could also go into detail about how many Nissan owners have had their "stainless" steel exhaust rot prematurely costing them lots of money on cars less than 5 years old. Seems to be worse on Versa but plenty of Sentras as well.

I also find it curious that a car that has to be driven with air fresheners and windows cracked open could have been driven 11,000 miles in less than a year with the issue being as bad as you say it is. A car as bad as you say it is shouldn't even be driven, you should have gotten a lawyer and taken them to court for a buyback of such a dangerous vehicle.
I agree with everything except for the Honda theory... Only cars I've ever had problems with and or blown up were Honda's but everyone has there own preference
Yup, antifreeze fumes are damaging to our kidneys.

Although I don't agree that honduh is a more reliable vehicle than any other vehicle, coasting on their name alone does not make them a reliable vehicle just because they once were.

Sent from the sexy electrician
Agreed

Reactions: money_man
1 - 20 of 50 Posts