Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
I agree with everything except for the Honda theory... Only cars I've ever had problems with and or blown up were Honda's but everyone has there own preference.
Not a theory or a preference actually.

I've been a service writer for almost 20 years now. It's based on real experience from thousands and thousands of examples and not having to rely on the owner's version, I get to see the real repairs that they need not some watered down version to defend their purchase decision.

I'm not a Honda or Toyota fan at all. But they still make the most reliable cars in the industry.

Still like my Cruze better than any Civic or Corolla ever made though.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Where does Chevrolet and ford fall compared to Honda. Say in the last 5 years because before that both made garbage

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
I agree with everything except for the Honda theory... Only cars I've ever had problems with and or blown up were Honda's but everyone has there own preference
Don't buy Hondas that have been beat up by young kids ;)

Aside from my 1988 which was just falling apart because of age - they've (an Accord and MDX) been the best vehicles my family has ever owned. The Accord is now going on 7 years and has not had a single problem. Zero. Most with that generation Accord have pretty similar stories.

Not much character, but they make great A to B vehicles. If it's not a V6/auto combination, which will inevitably blow up the transmission.

That said, Honda/Toyota reliability in recent years has taken a massive hit. They're not what they used to be.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Well that's what I'm curious about. Because seems to me that they've been having problems but people won't get their heads out of their asses long enough to see this. They all just say "how's it run?, "like a Honda". Which doesn't answer anything about a vehicle at all other than its owner is a dumbass

·
17,486 Posts
Well that's what I'm curious about. Because seems to me that they've been having problems but people won't get their heads out of their asses long enough to see this. They all just say "how's it run?, "like a Honda". Which doesn't answer anything about a vehicle at all other than its owner is a dumbass

Like a refrigerator. Outside of first year production models, the 1.8/2.4 I4 Honda engines are pretty much bulletproof. Those are the ones most people own. Even the CVTs seem to be holding up pretty well, although they have typical CVT sloppy driving characteristics.

People usually have trouble with Hondas with the automatics in V6s and the 3.5 V6 is an oil burning piece of junk.

Toyotas beginning to have a lot of trouble with the transmissions paired to 2.5L engines and general build quality - rattles galore, suspension components, etc. Most of their other models are built on hugely outdated platforms that are otherwise quite solid. And the 3.5 V6 is just a fantastic engine.

Since 2007, quality for both manufacturers has definitely taken a hit. Not what they were known for 10 years ago, though. Both are largely still selling in the numbers they do because of old reputations - people's old models start to wear out over 10+ years and they come back for another expecting the same quality that was there before. That takes time to change.

I would never have bought a GM sedan 10 years ago, but my opinion was changed when they started making quality stuff (thanks in part to overseas divisions). Fords got a lot of great products from their European division now.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
I loved me Honda CRX . circa 1984 . had to shoot it to get rid of IT .

Apparently j .. you have noticed the line of FORD models that have been produced . Me 2 ..

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Why you on his Face book page ?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Like a refrigerator. Outside of first year production models, the 1.8/2.4 I4 Honda engines are pretty much bulletproof. Those are the ones most people own. Even the CVTs seem to be holding up pretty well, although they have typical CVT sloppy driving characteristics.

People usually have trouble with Hondas with the automatics in V6s and the 3.5 V6 is an oil burning piece of junk.

Toyotas beginning to have a lot of trouble with the transmissions paired to 2.5L engines and general build quality - rattles galore, suspension components, etc. Most of their other models are built on hugely outdated platforms that are otherwise quite solid. And the 3.5 V6 is just a fantastic engine.

Since 2007, quality for both manufacturers has definitely taken a hit. Not what they were known for 10 years ago, though. Both are largely still selling in the numbers they do because of old reputations - people's old models start to wear out over 10+ years and they come back for another expecting the same quality that was there before. That takes time to change.

I would never have bought a GM sedan 10 years ago, but my opinion was changed when they started making quality stuff (thanks in part to overseas divisions). Fords got a lot of great products from their European division now.
I can quite easily agree with most of that.

I don't agree with the 2.4 being bulletproof though. Seen too many broken timing chains for that. Sadly, most of the issue is due to owner negligence not doing oil changes on time. The oil feed for the vtec actuator solenoid gets plugged by debris and the chain gets starved of oil. Many 1.8 suffer from oil consumption because of the owners going 5K+ miles on normal oil as well.

And yes, quality has been slipping for Honda/Toyota while GM/Ford has been going up. If you sit in the interior of a Honda from 10 years ago compared to now, you can tell they've been forced to cut corners on interior quality. We're still well away from being equal however.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
My Honda's rusted out just as fast as any domestic made vehicle. Feel people are nuts for thinking they are more reliable, but one thing for sure, the resale price is much greater than any domestic vehicle. Even though these are also a pile of rust.

Reason why my 88 Supra is not a pile of rust, even driven on road salt since new. Was my grandson's third birthday last Sunday, wife needed the Cruze because she was on call. Salt truck just drove by, no plowing, just dropped tons of salt, road was loaded with slush.

Only other vehicle I could drive was my Supra, called my son for a raincheck, he expected this and said it was okay.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
They are saying 14371 does not apply to the water pump.
Depends on your engine model...if you have a 1.8L then no it does not apply.

SC 14371 only covers the 1.4L engine.

·
17,486 Posts
I have a 2015 Cruze 1.4 T w/64k miles and just discovered the leaking water pump. Any chance that I am covered?
It is definitely covered under powertrain warranty if it is still active.

If not, put your VIN into my.chevrolet.com and look for a special warranty coverage 14371. I do not know if it's been extended past the 2014 MY, but it's an issue with ALL of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the help. I followed your guidance and got nowhere. So Chevy abandons a 2015 Cruze and leaves a 73 year old Vietnam veteran to replace his wife’s water pump!!!

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,613 Posts
Thanks for the help. I followed your guidance and got nowhere. So Chevy abandons a 2015 Cruze and leaves a 73 year old Vietnam veteran to replace his wife’s water pump!!!
I'm sure you can do it if you find a cool enough garage. Watch a few youtube videos beforehand. I did mine on my own as I don't want to screw around with Chevy and it sitting at the dealer for 2 weeks; cost like $60 and about 3 hours in an afternoon.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just my luck to own a 2015 and the warranties expired in April!!! This old man is ready to do it. Got the tools and just ordered the pump. The Cruze is on ramps and all systems are ‘GO’. 😎

21 - 40 of 50 Posts