Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed an almost water spot like pattern on my windshield that I can't seem to get off. The products I use are Windex and Invisible Glass. No matter how hard I rub on the windshield, it won't come off. It's only really an annoyance at night when the light from streetlamps or other cars is reflecting off of it. I haven't tried anything other than car soap on the paint as I don't want to damage it.

Anyone ever had anything like this on their cars that they were able to get rid of?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have you tried clay bar yet?
I've tried nothing but regular glass cleaners and car soap. I don't want to go out buying bottles and bottles of stuff that turn end up not working and then waste money.

Never heard of this clay bar. I'll look it up and see what I can find. Thanks.

EDIT: From the looks of it, it appears you use this clay bar to prevent things from adhering to the glass and water spots. I already have water spots and would like to get rid of them. One comment on a video I just saw mentioned something about #0000 super fine steel wool? Is that safe to use? Anyone ever tried it?

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
GM once had a TSB instructing the use of something called Bon-Ami powder.

There was a thread on it in the past six weeks or so.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Get the industrial cleaner in the aerosol can. Good stuff there. Then the clay bar actually lifts away dirt and grime, some say you can see it on the bar afterwards, but I never can. I saw one where a dude used synthetic wax on his windshield and it made it look amazing and filled in some smaller pin points, plan on trying that in the future.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts

·
10,713 Posts
One comment on a video I just saw mentioned something about #0000 super fine steel wool? Is that safe to use? Anyone ever tried it?
I have a gash in my window from using a plastic ice scraper in the winter, I'm not sure if these windows can take steel wool.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I've tried nothing but regular glass cleaners and car soap. I don't want to go out buying bottles and bottles of stuff that turn end up not working and then waste money.

Never heard of this clay bar. I'll look it up and see what I can find. Thanks.

EDIT: From the looks of it, it appears you use this clay bar to prevent things from adhering to the glass and water spots. I already have water spots and would like to get rid of them. One comment on a video I just saw mentioned something about #0000 super fine steel wool? Is that safe to use? Anyone ever tried it?
I've been using steel wool for years and it does wonders for cleaning off the little things that window cleaners leave behind. Easiest way to clean is to use the steel wool first, rince off and then use your glass cleaner.
If you still have the spots it just might be due to the UV coating in the windshield itself.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I can also agree with the steel wool trick, as that's what the Chevy dealer here used to get the "frigi-fresh" or whatever the he!! GM calls their A/C vent odor killer these days ... worked like a champ! I certainly wouldn't use Bon Ami on the paint, but I've used a clay bar and it does a good job. Perhaps you should look into a cleaner wax from Meguiars or Mother's ... I use that too.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
GM once had a TSB instructing the use of something called Bon-Ami powder.

There was a thread on it in the past six weeks or so.
Here's the TSB:

code:[HR][/HR]
Wiper and Washer Systems: All Technical Service Bulletins
Cleaning For Procedure Chattering Wiper BladesBulletin Number: 91-10-8
Reference Number: 031066
Publish Date: 11/90
Subject: CHATTERING WIPER BLADES OR BLADE WIPEABILITY (CLEANING PROCEDURE)
Models
Affected: 1982-1991 ALL MODELS
This bulletin cancels and replaces bulletin 87-10-4 issued 10/86. Please discard
bulletin 87-10-4.
Condition:
Chattering and poor wipeability comments may be due to the windshield glass and/or
wiper blades becoming contaminated by insect residue, dirt, road grime, car wax etc.
Correction:
1. Clean the windshield glass with GM # 1050011 (Bon Ami) glass cleaner or
equivalent.
Important: The glass is clean when rinse water does not "bead-up", but
"sheets" across the entire glass surface. Multiple cleanings
may be required to remove all contaminants.
2. Clean the wiper blades by using a cloth that has been saturated with full
strength washer solution and wipe vigorously. Rinse the blades with water after
cleaning.

[HR][/HR]​

1 - 15 of 15 Posts