Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so a couple of us (myself Tomko and RollinOn18s) have been in communication regarding a meet up at the Glen this year. I have contacted Rob at Watkins Glen and have reserved a track time. We need a minimum of 10 cars to keep that reservation. I have used Sciphi's format from last year below and modified for this years event. Please respond to this thread if you definitely can join us.

Calling all CruzeTalk folks to the third annual Watkins Glen Opening Day Meet! This year opening day at The Glen is April 18, 2015

Cost: $25/car for 3 paced laps of the Watkins Glen racetrack.
Place: Watkins Glen, NY Opening Weekend - Watkins Glen International
Date: April 18, 2015 (it's a Saturday)
Time: Time on track: 12:30 PM (tentative). We need to be there 45 minutes ahead of time to pay and stage. So we'll roll out of Watkins Glen town and zip up the hill at about 11:15 AM to arrive at the racetrack at 11:45 AM. If you get separated, say you're with the CruzeTalk.com group going onto the track at 12:30 PM. Or look for the group of Cruzes.

Rob from Watkins Glen had the following reminders: 55 mph speed limit, stay single file, no passing, and no other horseplay. Failure to obey will mean the rule-breaker gets kicked off the property, no questions asked.

More information:

Activities: Lapping the track, pictures, getting dinner at Jerlando's, the best pizzeria in the Finger Lakes (there isn't much inside seating), or parking at Lakeside Park. There are first-come-first-served pavilions there. The outdoor activities will be as weather permits. Light jackets are recommended, as it is late April in upstate NY! Depending on the weather, there is a Dunkin Donuts, a Wal-Mart and a P&C grocery store in town if the weather is bad. This will be a "closed-hood" and "no car work" meet. No time/space to do any car work.

If you don't want to do the racetrack but still want to meet, you're more than welcome to join us! Just let us know.

Meeting place in Watkins Glen: The Wal-Mart in town. The address is: 515 E 4th St, Watkins Glen, NY. It's very easy to find.

Meeting time: 11 AM.

Last year was a blast! Those of us who went had a great time.

We need 10 cars to register for a slot. Who's interested? We need 4 more confirmations for a guaranteed slot!!!

List of folks confirmed so far:

blk88verde
blk88verde son
blk88verde son's friend
Tomko

Kman220
oilburner

Tentative:

UlyssesSG
nybble + 1 or 2

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
Double Nickel ??

Rob from Watkins Glen had the following reminders: 55 mph speed limit, stay single file, no passing, and no other horseplay. Failure to obey will mean the rule-breaker gets kicked off the property, no questions asked.
Get together at the Glen: great idea and much appreciated! Hope the weather cooperates and makes it a memorable day.

In years gone by I spent innumerable weekends at Watkins Glen both at Formula One, Trans-Am and Can-Am races and also as a frequent participant myself in SCCA National road racing events. Of course I've walked Glen Falls and spent quite a few hours with friends at Seneca Lodge, too. Many good and happy memories, truly.

Now to the meat: Do I understand correctly that the on track speed is limited to 55 mph and nothing faster? I would have thought the pace car might be used to get participants lined up and, once well-ordered at 55, then proceed to pick up the pace to let's say 85 to 100 mph, depending on conditions.

Wouldn't mind attending, but I don't think I'm game to drive 265 miles one way to lap the track at 55. Please tell me it ain't so. :)

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now to the meat: Do I understand correctly that the on track speed is limited to 55 mph and nothing faster? I would have thought the pace car might be used to get participants lined up and, once well-ordered at 55, then proceed to pick up the pace to let's say 85 to 100 mph, depending on conditions.

Wouldn't mind attending, but I don't think I'm game to drive 265 miles one way to lap the track at 55. Please tell me it ain't so. :smile:
I think this is standard statement the Track has to make. Last year I was pulling 100+ trying to keep up with Sciphi and the pace car with my GTO. We all had a blast, I am about 225 miles from the Glen. Definitely worth the drive. I saw an F1 race at the Glen in the 1970's. Saw the 6 wheeled Tyrells and awesome sounding Alfa F1 car racing.

Reactions: UlyssesSG

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The 55 limit has to be enforced for the first few laps to give new drivers on the track a chance to learn the curves.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
I'm sorry I can't make it guys. I am really trying to save all the money I can to buy a house by the end of the year...

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 55 limit has to be enforced for the first few laps to give new drivers on the track a chance to learn the curves.
Yes the first lap the pace car took it a little easy, but after that the chase was on. After the lapping you could tell from the smell of everyone's brakes the cars were being pushed pretty hard.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm interested, checking with a friend or two if they are.

Are we looking Cruze-only or are other cars welcome, perhaps a Miata?
We are open to non Cruze's. I have a BMW320i. Last year I took my 2004 GTO. We had a 2013 Malibu, a Cobalt, a Pontiac G8 GT and 2004 Volvo s70 last year too in our group. Non Cruze's this year so far includes my 320i, my son's BMW AH3, a CTS and a Volvo S60R.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Count me in! I just bought the Cruze a month ago and would like to meet some members
Will do.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Four weeks to opening weekend at the Glen! If anyone else is interested in joining please respond to this thread. I believe we can have up to 15 cars in a group.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3 weeks till Opening Weekend. I sure hope the weather is good for April 18th. I am in Southeastern NY and it has been flurrying all day.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
maybe I will leave my snow tires on.:giggle:
2 years ago about a half hour before we all got on the track there was a white out. Last year the weather was sunny and in the 60s. Not sure if snows are rated for 100+ mph.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Two weeks to go!! Just a reminder-Watkins Glen opening weekend meet is April 18th. I need to confirm with Rob at the Glen before next weekend how many of will be on the track.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Two weeks to go!! Just a reminder-Watkins Glen opening weekend meet is April 18th. I need to confirm with Rob at the Glen before next weekend how many of will be on the track.
I am rock solid on with my brother at the wheel of his CTS sport.

Also looking forward to the company of other members and that splendid pizza and onion rings at Jerlando's.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts