Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 2011 Chevy Cruze about a month ago I was having issues clunking into gear shifting rough so on and so forth took it to Foster Chevrolet in Sandusky Ohio The Rundown that they gave me was that the wave plate of 3rd and 5th gear we're having issues so I decided to do a little research of my own and what I came across was that a lot of cars with this specific model of transmission have been recalled for the wave plate and they have been giving a 10-year hundred and twenty thousand mile warranty pretty much the Transmissions that they gave the warranty on were the 6t70 and the 6t75. Which my car has I'm looking for anyone else to his having this exact problem so we can get GM to honor and add this car to that list of cars that is having these issues. So we dont have to pay out of pocket for repairs for a part they already know about.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,202 Posts
Your car has either a 6T30 (1.8) or 6T40 (1.4). Wave plate failures are not super common on these cars, but clutch pack failures are, causing the car to feel like they have been hit from behind or to jerk when at a complete stop.

Where did you just buy the car from? Does it have any kind of certified pre-owned warranty or buyback guarantee?

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
How many miles are on your car and what model, I had my transmission replaced for known problems going into 3rd gear and the clutch replaced at 70K and I have a 2012 Eco(1.4) then 10K later the tranny had problems so that was replaced under warranty. Sounds like you should find a different dealer to work with! Mine in Cincinnati took care of me.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
How many miles are on your car and what model, I had my transmission replaced for known problems going into 3rd gear and the clutch replaced at 70K and I have a 2012 Eco(1.4) then 10K later the tranny had problems so that was replaced under warranty. Sounds like you should find a different dealer to work with! Mine in Cincinnati took care of me.
Patman - don't you drive a manual transmission?

Reactions: Eddy Cruze

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
The auto trans in the OP's car does not use the wave plate design that was failing in the larger 6 speed autos.

I think the dealership is feeding the OP a bucket of poop......

When the wave plate fails the car has no forward gears and often, no reverse as well.
And yes, the powertrain coverage was extended for the larger transmission.

This situation is why I always tell folks thinking about buying a secondhand car to plan on buying a service contract at time of sale.
People do not trade in perfect cars for the most part and time does not permit the dealer to do extensive road testing in the hopes of uncovering a problem prior to resale.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
First, OP purchased a used car - they almost always have problems. Second, as Robby pointed out the Cruze doesn't use a wave plate transmission which leads to the third item - the dealership OP went to is incompetent at best and a crook at worst. Either get your money back on this purchase or go to a different dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep your right i trusted the word of the dealer. Luckily i didnt buy a new trans that would of been completely wrong. And nope no pre owned certified. So im ****** just going to pay someone to rebuild it the only thing that gets me is that an actual dealer seperare from the one i bought it from said in their diagnostics that there is excessive slip in 5th and no shift in 3rd possible 35r plate fracture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had the wave plate go on my 2012 Cruze last week. Is there any word on whether they're covering any of this yet?

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Wave plates can fail on any auto trans at any mileage. The large GM six speed wave plates (spring plates.....wavey washer.....makes gentle gear engagement possible) were a bit too brittle (my term) and would work harden and shatter.

The unit in the Cruze is not known for this failure......meaning there has never been a failure trend. As a result, the 5yr 100k warranty for powertrain has not required a extension for transmission failures.

Have you actually seen the shattered parts or is a trans shop (or dealer) assuming this is the failure?

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
The 6T30 and 6T40 transmissions have a fairly high failure rate in Australia. However the 6T45 used in the 1.6T and diesel seems to last a lot better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 2012 Cruze that had a broken 3-5-rev wave plate. My dad was a mechanic over 40 years and started FD working for a Chevy dealer. I showed him the broken plate and he said they were junk and no wonder it broke. He doesn’t like doing transmissions so I had to use a dealer to fix it. I saved the parts in hopes might get my money back someday. Not holding my breath though. I also had some stupid switch to control the airflow in the dash for defrost break. I cannot imagine how much I would have paid to fix it if it weren’t for my dad. It took over 10 hours to tear apart the dashboard fix it and put it back together. All for a little teardrop lever that was clearly also a piece of junk.
My dad stopped recommending ding chevy’s to people because of these sauces and several other customers who were having major issues. I will never buy a Chevy again.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
10,917 Posts
I had a 2012 Cruze that had a broken 3-5-rev wave plate. My dad was a mechanic over 40 years and started FD working for a Chevy dealer. I showed him the broken plate and he said they were junk and no wonder it broke. He doesn’t like doing transmissions so I had to use a dealer to fix it. I saved the parts in hopes might get my money back someday. Not holding my breath though. I also had some stupid switch to control the airflow in the dash for defrost break. I cannot imagine how much I would have paid to fix it if it weren’t for my dad. It took over 10 hours to tear apart the dashboard fix it and put it back together. All for a little teardrop lever that was clearly also a piece of junk.
My dad stopped recommending ding chevy’s to people because of these sauces and several other customers who were having major issues. I will never buy a Chevy again.
Welcome Aboard!(y), I must have missed you when you joined.

Too bad you spent so much time on the defrost fix. We have a few threads that give a quick way of fixing it.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze (love it or hate it) here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts