Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
so ive been doing some driving and trying to figure out a way to get more mpg. Simply drive in tip-tronic and switch gears 1-3 at about 3.5K-4.5K rpm. At gear 4,5 and 6 switch gears at 5K rpm. This creates less gas usage by 15%

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
so ive been doing some driving and trying to figure out a way to get more mpg. Simply drive in tip-tronic and switch gears 1-3 at about 3.5-4.5 rpm. At gear 4,5 and 6 switch gears at 5 rpm. This creates less gas usage by 15%
theres no way that works your hiitting the ecotec by 5 which sucks down gas but then again i know nothing

·
Registered
137 Posts
i found a better way to save money on gas..... have my fiancée pay for gas lol

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
so ive been doing some driving and trying to figure out a way to get more mpg. Simply drive in tip-tronic and switch gears 1-3 at about 3.5K-4.5K rpm. At gear 4,5 and 6 switch gears at 5K rpm. This creates less gas usage by 15%

That doesnt even make any sense? How would shifting at higher rpms then the automatic program does use less gas? And for that matter if you are going 5000 rpm in 5th gear you would be doing over 100mph :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...5K is turning over pretty fast.

...with the turbo's "flat" torque curve, the engine should probably be driven and shifted almost as though it were a Diesel, ie: between 1.5K-and-3.0K, and never over 4.0K except when passing.

...you've got the right "idea" but need to test shift points more.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
i told her that but she didn't listen and the proceeded to back my truck into a poll
...uh, which? Pole as someone from Poland; a Pole as in telephone pole; or, a poll as in a "tally of questions" (wink,wink)?

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thatswhat i found for my cruze. I never waste a tank of gas fast by doing my method. But thanks for the great tip CUDA :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
In nearly a decade of owning my KIA sephia the only time I took it to 85MPH was the last night before I traded her in for my Eco:p.
I can't imagine ever taking my Eco close to 4k RPMs. Just the way I drive, or I guess I wold have gotten a ZR1:D.
Any who, looks like I will have to be stuck with 42+ mpg:(

·
Registered
567 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
You're not going to maximize your fuel economy by shifting at 4k lol
Read the other posts re: shifting and mpg, we've discovered 2100rpm seems to be the "sweet spot"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.