Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and found nothing. Anyone else have any interest in weight reduction? I am working on dropping weight to 2800lbs on my eco mt ill post results asap should be done this week. I would like to see what everyone else is looking at for weight by trim and transmission options if possible. Please keep it to weight verifies by a certified scale like a cat scale.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
I have replaced my stock Cat Back exhaust with a Borla - that has got to be worth a few pounds as you lose the muffler. The other thing I may do is when the time comes for a new Battery is to go with a Braille or other light weight Lithium Ion battery. I have added back a few pounds with 4 Ultra Racing bars and braces.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interestingly enough i hit my mark exactly 2800 lbs on a cat scale, lightest cruze i have ever heard of. 3/4 tank of gas without me. 64 36 F/R split is pretty sad but it is fwd. And the proof

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Yes - please let us know of the weight reductions. I believe my ECO is registered at 2964 lbs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is with most of the underbody aero removed the shutter system removed upper grille removed. Working on a way to channel air to intercooler and radiator better, flaps removed from other grille snorkel for airbox removed. Full strait pipe from first cat to rear of car. Sound deadening removed. Trunk interior removed, driver power seat replaced with non power seat. I will admit the interior is not as attractive and its pretty much un reversible but i have seen an increase in mpg and it is certainly faster. I am driving in town around 40mpg and a 19mph average with allot of lights. I have seen as high as 46 mpg on the 25 mile record 100% City. I am about to go on a 500 mile one way trip i will let you know if the underbody aero is really worth while. Btw i averaged around 35 in town before i started this. The car is noticably better off the line now and as a strange side effect the clutch is much easier to fully engage without the sound deadening. I know not everyone wants to do something like this but i plan to own the car for another 180k miles so its worth it for 5 mpg to me

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Interestingly enough i hit my mark exactly 2800 lbs on a cat scale, lightest cruze i have ever heard of.
I believe that is less than stock Sonics are weighing in at.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Although they probably won't STAY pressurized very long (seepage), replacing the air in the tires with HYDROGEN should make the 'scales' show a smaller number (wink,wink)!

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Although they probably won't STAY pressurized very long (seepage), replacing the air in the tires with HYDROGEN should make the 'scales' show a smaller number (wink,wink)!
I'd use Helium - it's slightly larger so it won't seep as fast and it isn't explosive - no HindenCruzen :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
whay don't you go with the carbon fiber hood, fender and rear deck...that will shave about 200 lbs

Exterior

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
I'd use Helium - it's slightly larger so it won't seep as fast and it isn't explosive - no HindenCruzen :)
I love it! A 'new' car name, the HindenCruze!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Very nice weight savings, my 1LT is well over 4,000 lbs according to the Gross Vehicle weight sticker on the driver side door jam. I would love to lighten it to 2800 lbs or less but its gonna take a lot of work taking things out and replacing with lighter parts ( carbon fiber hood, fenders, deck lid, ect.) So far I only have my rear bench seat and back rest deleted from the car and all the trunk lining, and under hood padding.

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Very nice weight savings, my 1LT is well over 4,000 lbs according to the Gross Vehicle weight sticker on the driver side door jam. I would love to lighten it to 2800 lbs or less but its gonna take a lot of work taking things out and replacing with lighter parts ( carbon fiber hood, fenders, deck lid, ect.) So far I only have my rear bench seat and back rest deleted from the car and all the trunk lining, and under hood padding.
Gross vehicle weight is the maximum weight that the vehicle can weigh with all passengers and cargo. It is not the weight of the vehicle itself.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I have a plan to reduce weight too, but it wont be that extreme, lol.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts