Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The outside temp showed -10 F this morning, and 1 F this afternoon. Both times, after starting my car, there were a handful of oddities.

First, when I started it this morning, there was a horrible grind. Almost sounded like a starter grind, hard to say. It happened right as it was starting as it was turning over. Only lasted a second or two then went away.

Then, after leaving the car run for about 5 minutes while I cleared snow and queued up music I shifted into D and gave it a little gas to roll out of the parking space. I heard what sounded like an electric solenoid opening or closing. My first thought was maybe the electric park assist, but I was already in D and moving when I heard it. This sound last a couple seconds.

Finally, while driving, I felt a lot more resistance on the wheel. I know these are turn by wire so to feel the additional resistance was a little weird. I felt it pretty much the whole way to work, even after reaching operating temp.

Any thoughts?

I'd have no problem bringing the car to the dealer but this is the first time I've experienced an of this in the 3 weeks of owning the car so I'd bet they won't be able to reproduce any of it.

Thanks.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Hay J look at his sig Dawg . It is the cold temps that are contracting the molecules .... science and physics !

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The grind you heard after you started moving occurred at 12.4 MPH. It's the ABS self test and only occurs once after you start the car.

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What year? There are apparently redesigned starters for 2013/14, and there was a redesigned part for the earlier cars that experience starter grind.
Sorry yeah it's a 2014. If it becomes a pattern I'll bring it into the dealer, but for now I don't think they'll be able to reproduce it.

The grind you heard after you started moving occurred at 12.4 MPH. It's the ABS self test and only occurs once after you start the car.
No I wasn't going nearly that fast. The grind was when it started and turned over. The other electronic noise was when I was rolling out of my parking space at like 2 mph.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Grindy noise #1.....likely engine oil pump cavitation.....just for a moment and most vehicles do it at below 0 temps.
Often, the power steering pump gets blamed but there isn't one on the Cruze.
Grindy, clicking, solenoidy thing #2....See if you can get some consistancy......the ABS self check will occur at speeds up to a bit over 12 mph.....mine is more like 5 mph.
There is a chance you heard a very cold brake vacuum booster motor.....mine is audible early on every time I apply the brakes.

Steering rack is indeed electric assist but the rack is packed with grease......it will be stiffer when cold and keep in mind the ball joints and tie rod end lube won't ever warm up.....ambient at all times.
So, if the assist feels normal once the temps moderate, it is just the nature of the beast.....again...I've noticed it but also noticed it went away....so, no worries.

Good luck!
Rob

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
When I remote start my cruze at temps below 15F I get an audible grind sound the split second after it starts. Sounds exactly like the starter being cranked a bit too long. Others on here have noticed the exact same thing so its nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
138 Posts
my car has started doing this but over the last few weeks has been grinding for longer... Is the starter part of the powertrain warranty or just the 3 year 60k one?

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey there beeztee,

I'm sorry to hear that your Cruze is also experiencing this concern. Please feel free to reach out to us if you would like for me to look further into this concern for you. If any extra assistance is needed, please send a private message with your VIN, current mileage, full contact information, and preferred dealership. I look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
2011 1.4L T LTZ RS
3,195 Posts
My buddy has the same noise when starting his 2013 cruze, my 11'.....(started it probably once between last November and March 1st 2014) and started perfectly....keep in mind it was -23 in the city. I see multiple people have heard a noise so I wouldn't stress about it. Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.