Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Weird clicking noise

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Blasirl 
#1 ·
Ok, this just started today. 14 Cruze LT, 91K miles. Fairly recently, new shocks, new struts, suspension links, etc all replaced. So, the noise is this--and honestly, I've been driving for over 40 years, and never heard this one:

On acceleration, or when giving it gas--but not every time--a rhythmic tapping at about 1 beat per second. Not related to engine or vehicle speed (doesn't speed up or slow down with engine or vehicle speed). Sounds kind of like a drummer tapping a wood block. About once per second for 3-10 beats, then it stops and will come back later. I'm wondering maybe fuel pump or an injector getting weird?

Also recently replaced the plugs and coil pack.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Some additional info about this....it seems to be coming and going. It almost sounds like a solenoid is clicking on and off when I'm giving it gas on a hill or speed up. This morning it barely did it at all, this evening, not at all. I hate intermittent problems. Which solenoids might activate when it's getting gas?

#3 ·
Notwithstanding your limitations above, this is my standing click, tick and rattle list:

1. Could be just the injectors

2. Could be the plastic ECOTEC cover rattling

3. Check that the spark plugs are properly torqued -- 18ft-lbs (might as well re-gap them - .028 for a 1.4) and make sure the springs are not stuck/bent etc.

4. Could be a failing EVAP purge solenoid/valve or possibly a vacuum leak causing the purge valve to stay open

5. Could be a lifter tick - try seafoam or valvemedic

6. Could be the timing chain tensioner

7. Could be a sloppy timing chain

8. Could be piston slap/wrist pin failure

9. Pinging caused by low octane fuel

10. Could possibly be an improperly torqued bolt on the flywheel/torque converter (noise from the trans side)

11. Might be a bad wheel bearing

12. Possibly the knock Sensor going off or bad and it can be exacerbated by any of the above.

13. Maybe your AC compressor is going bad

#4 ·
Thanks. Eventually it will declare itself as something real and significant. It doesn't sound like a classic CV joint failure--but I wonder if that's where it's heading. At this mileage it's not unlikely. I'll try to record it next time I hear it and there isn't a lot of traffic around and post it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.