Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016, Holden Cruze, JH - Z series, 1.8L F18D4 4cyl 4dr Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone assist with this weird P0011 error. Plenty of P0011 stories here, not quite like this that I have come across. If there is, please point me that thread.

2016 Holden Cruze, GEN II - JH 1.8L F18D4 4cyl - Automatic 4dr Sedan

P0011 started to appear about 6 moths ago. Car drives prefect and no obvious engine performance, other than engine light on and code.

Initially took to dealer and cost $1,000 to change $35 solenoid part. The old, pay us to check this part before we do that.. No issues with that. Just getting costly for their time....and then they could not warrant they had resolved the issue.
Error disappeared for a period of time and driven about 1,500k's, then error appeared again!

Summary of issue.
Timing belt and parts change at 134,000k. Using Timing Belts tool, timing appears to be in alignment
  • Changed oil coolant cooler at 136,000
  • P0011 appeared at approx 155,000 ks
  • Tested a number of areas from this thread
particular the Intake camshaft actuator solenoids. Appears to function as described in vid.

What appears to be a consistent pattern is when Oil and Oil filter is changed, the error disappears for about 1,500 - 1,800 ks....then it intermittently comes on/off. Preformed severely engine flush and always the same result.

Bite the bullet 6 weeks ago as there was some slush in engine (Lack of engine oil change) and removed Cylinder head and had cleaned, engine block clean (without removing), oil sump cleaned , 174,000ks - detailed here in this thread.
And on schedule - today after 1,800 ks, engine light on and P0011 error...
There are a number of things I have been checking, but at a loss as thought the Cylinder head clean....etc was going to resolve issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations on what to check/ troubleshoot and how....Willing to go back and re-check anything.....

Thanks

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,599 Posts
A 1.8 is a Gen 1 body style, is it not? I think the Gen 2 dropped the 1.8L engine world-wide.

Did they replace the whole VVT camshaft gear or just the solenoid? The gear is pretty common on the 1.8 - does it rattle like this on a cold startup?

He also mentions the screens can clog up on the solenoids.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone assist with this weird P0011 error. Plenty of P0011 stories here, not quite like this that I have come across. If there is, please point me that thread.

2016 Holden Cruze, GEN II - JH 1.8L F18D4 4cyl - Automatic 4dr Sedan

P0011 started to appear about 6 moths ago. Car drives prefect and no obvious engine performance, other than engine light on and code.

Initially took to dealer and cost $1,000 to change $35 solenoid part. The old, pay us to check this part before we do that.. No issues with that. Just getting costly for their time....and then they could not warrant they had resolved the issue.
Error disappeared for a period of time and driven about 1,500k's, then error appeared again!

Summary of issue.
Timing belt and parts change at 134,000k. Using Timing Belts tool, timing appears to be in alignment
  • Changed oil coolant cooler at 136,000
  • P0011 appeared at approx 155,000 ks
  • Tested a number of areas from this thread
particular the Intake camshaft actuator solenoids. Appears to function as described in vid.

What appears to be a consistent pattern is when Oil and Oil filter is changed, the error disappears for about 1,500 - 1,800 ks....then it intermittently comes on/off. Preformed severely engine flush and always the same result.

Bite the bullet 6 weeks ago as there was some slush in engine (Lack of engine oil change) and removed Cylinder head and had cleaned, engine block clean (without removing), oil sump cleaned , 174,000ks - detailed here in this thread.
And on schedule - today after 1,800 ks, engine light on and P0011 error...
There are a number of things I have been checking, but at a loss as thought the Cylinder head clean....etc was going to resolve issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations on what to check/ troubleshoot and how....Willing to go back and re-check anything.....

Thanks
you need to replace the oil check valve
Automotive tire Font Household hardware Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Font Household hardware Gas Auto part

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is one of the causes/repairs I found for the P0011. You mentioned something about changing the oil: P0011 - Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, & Fixes. This was not found on our forum but just doing a google search on the internet....
Thanks @Patman - had seen that post and followed the guides. The only points I could not test were

• Camshaft phaser is seized in the advanced position
  • Continuous oil flow to Variable Camshaft Timing chamber
Followed the "how to diagnose and Repair Code...". last point was to take it to workshop for them to check. Did not resolve the issue

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
A 1.8 is a Gen 1 body style, is it not? I think the Gen 2 dropped the 1.8L engine world-wide.

Did they replace the whole VVT camshaft gear or just the solenoid? The gear is pretty common on the 1.8 - does it rattle like this on a cold startup?

He also mentions the screens can clog up on the solenoids.

Hi @jblackburn , Thanks for the link and video.

I could be wrong as well in saying my car is Gen 2.....!!!! Car is what it is.....

The dealership only change the solenoid, not the VVT camshaft gear. Have since removed both intake and exhaust solenoid's, cleaned and tested. They appear to be ok based on a number of example vids that I followed.

After watching the video you inserted in post, the guy has examples of starting the engine with bad and good VVT sprocket. The example of the VVT camshaft bad start is the exact noise my car has been making since I first took the car to the dealership months ago. The noise is there for a minute or two on start up and then goes away. The Dealership even made the comment of the noise but didn't say what it could be.

Your video is first video I've come across that exactly shows and replicates the issue of my car with the noise.
When I removed the cylinder Head I cleaned the camshafts, so pretty confident they have clean passage ways....

Based on this info, I believe VVT Camshaft gear is at fault. Going to order and replace. Will report back with results.

Note: what still bluffs me is why the error code appears after 1,500 ks after a clean oil change over?

Thanks once again.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,599 Posts
Yes, if it's making a rattling sound like that, the cam gear itself is causing the sound and is the most likely cause of your code as well.

They are somewhat common issues on the 1.8, as well as GM 2.4s, Honda 2.4s, and Toyota's 2.4/2.5L motors that all use a similar phaser setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts