Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2016.5 Cruze RS Premier with just under 45k miles. everything has worked well until this morning. I left for work hooking my iPhone to the stereo as usual and listening to a podcast. About 5 min into my commute I stopped for fuel. when I started the car back up the screen was black except for the warning screen. no video, no audio, no reverse camera. I shut the car off opened and closed the door and then restarted the car, same issue. drove to work in silence.

After work I went out to the car and the display did not light up as I entered. the radio is black for the most part but will light up randomly. the steering wheel controls would let me o through radio presets and the steering wheelvolume control worked. I let work with the screen black and occasionally showing the warning notice with the ok or language option. about 5 min in to my commute the sound went off and the radio, screen, and radio control buttons on the dash and steering wheel stopped working. another quiet commute.

When I got home I went to back into my driveway and the rear camera showed up on the screen but after a few second got dim. I shifted into park and it went black except for the guide lines. Moving the gear selector from park to reverse the camera would work but be dim and same from drive to reverse.

The dealer wants me to come in so they can recommend a replacement infotainment I am sure but since I am out of bumper to bumper warranty I cannot see spending the money at the dealer to have them drive it in and start shotgunning parts at it on my dime.

I have removed the negative battery terminal and let the car sit for about 30 min now. I tried the onstar reset trick I read about but it has failed to help.I am going to hook the battery back up and hope but maybe someone has a fix.

Thanks in advance. I searched but didn't find anything that was close to my issue.

45 min with the negative terminal unhooked has not solved the problem. Its odd that the radio still holds the presets and I can access them from the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2016.5 Cruze RS Premier with just under 45k miles. everything has worked well until this morning. I left for work hooking my iPhone to the stereo as usual and listening to a podcast. About 5 min into my commute I stopped for fuel. when I started the car back up the screen was black except for the warning screen. no video, no audio, no reverse camera. I shut the car off opened and closed the door and then restarted the car, same issue. drove to work in silence.

After work I went out to the car and the display did not light up as I entered. the radio is black for the most part but will light up randomly. the steering wheel controls would let me o through radio presets and the steering wheelvolume control worked. I let work with the screen black and occasionally showing the warning notice with the ok or language option. about 5 min in to my commute the sound went off and the radio, screen, and radio control buttons on the dash and steering wheel stopped working. another quiet commute.

When I got home I went to back into my driveway and the rear camera showed up on the screen but after a few second got dim. I shifted into park and it went black except for the guide lines. Moving the gear selector from park to reverse the camera would work but be dim and same from drive to reverse.

The dealer wants me to come in so they can recommend a replacement infotainment I am sure but since I am out of bumper to bumper warranty I cannot see spending the money at the dealer to have them drive it in and start shotgunning parts at it on my dime.

I have removed the negative battery terminal and let the car sit for about 30 min now. I tried the onstar reset trick I read about but it has failed to help.I am going to hook the battery back up and hope but maybe someone has a fix.

Thanks in advance. I searched but didn't find anything that was close to my issue.

45 min with the negative terminal unhooked has not solved the problem. Its odd that the radio still holds the presets and I can access them from the steering wheel controls.
Unfortunately it sounds like your radio head unit has died. This has happened to more people than I would think unfortunately. You will need a replacement for it to work again as it is not something that can be repaired from what we've seen on this site. Sorry for the bad news. If you're lucky, you may get GM to help some due to it being a known issue on a lot of these Cruzes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply,

I was afraid this was the case. I may have to try to find a salvage unit. My dealer was not willing to help in any way but wanted me to come in so they could charge me to tell me what we already know. I might check other dealers.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just know if you get one from a salvage yard you'll still need to go to the dealer (or a good independant shop that has the tools) to get it programmed to the car so it actually works.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Just know if you get one from a salvage yard you'll still need to go to the dealer (or a good independant shop that has the tools) to get it programmed to the car so it actually works.
I know on the Gen1 it can be reprogrammed if your handing and with a <$10 part from eBay. Not sure how it works on the Gen2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts