Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

What cars did you cross shop before choosing the Cruze?

3689 Views 32 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Aranarth
Hi everyone,

After driving my wife's Hyundai Elantra over the weekend I was reminded why I chose the Cruze for myself. Before buying our pre-owned Cruze eco, I was the one driving the Elantra. When it was time to finally upgrade her ride, I (selfishly) wanted something nicer than the Hyundai so she can inherit it and I could enjoy the new(er) ride. Now, the Elantra is a nice econobox and is reliable, but it has zero performance appeal. For example, the engine sounds like it came out of a lawn mower and has no torque, despite the bigger displacement compared to the Cruze (1.8 vs 1.4). The handling is also forgettable, offering no confidence in corners or off/on ramps. There are some nice features, like the strong brakes (better than the Cruze), good amount of standard features and TONS of interior space. I don't know how that's the case, when the two cars are parked side-by-side they have similar exterior dimensions. But the Cruze is basically a 2 door coupe inside - which I happen to like since nobody goes in my car - but I feel that it's a huge strike against it for people with families.

When I drive the Cruze and Elantra back-to-back, I feel a huge difference in driving dynamics. It also gets even better mileage to boot. The first time I drove a Cruze was a rental earlier this year, and it blew away my expectations. I was expecting something more along the lines of the cobalt and cavalier, but not even close. I also looked at the jetta, which admittedly has a nicer interior, but sketchy reliability. I'm glad I chose the Cruze. I don't feel like I settled or had to compromise on what I wanted.

What rides were you looking at before deciding on your Cruze?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
635 Posts
Hi everyone,

After driving my wife's Hyundai Elantra over the weekend I was reminded why I chose the Cruze for myself. Before buying our pre-owned Cruze eco, I was the one driving the Elantra. When it was time to finally upgrade her ride, I (selfishly) wanted something nicer than the Hyundai so she can inherit it and I could enjoy the new(er) ride. Now, the Elantra is a nice econobox and is reliable, but it has zero performance appeal. For example, the engine sounds like it came out of a lawn mower and has no torque, despite the bigger displacement compared to the Cruze (1.8 vs 1.4). The handling is also forgettable, offering no confidence in corners or off/on ramps. There are some nice features, like the strong brakes (better than the Cruze), good amount of standard features and TONS of interior space. I don't know how that's the case, when the two cars are parked side-by-side they have similar exterior dimensions. But the Cruze is basically a 2 door coupe inside - which I happen to like since nobody goes in my car - but I feel that it's a huge strike against it for people with families.

When I drive the Cruze and Elantra back-to-back, I feel a huge difference in driving dynamics. It also gets even better mileage to boot. The first time I drove a Cruze was a rental earlier this year, and it blew away my expectations. I was expecting something more along the lines of the cobalt and cavalier, but not even close. I also looked at the jetta, which admittedly has a nicer interior, but sketchy reliability. I'm glad I chose the Cruze. I don't feel like I settled or had to compromise on what I wanted.

What rides were you looking at before deciding on your Cruze?
When i bought my car in 2014 I was looking at a 2014 Kia Forte ex, but with good credit, $1500 down and a perfect credit cosigner they wouldn't drop below $375/mo.. being a GM fan my 4 years driving at the time I went to the nearest chevy dealer and looked at malibus, couldn't find one with any features and used in my price range so they said would you mind a cruze?

They had one (mine) in the show room, he ran to the sales managers office to run numbers on different packages but reassuring me I could afford the ltz I was looking at, they wanted me to get all eager to own one then dumb me in an ls they had on the lot. I ended up talking them down for two whole days from $19.8k to $14.8k paying about $16k after tax and interest and I've never looked back

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

· Registered
635 Posts
Wow! You knocked them down 20%? That's impressive. Definitely a good value at that price point. BTW, this is my first GM car. Growing up my father would always tell us to run the other way when it came to American brands. He's a euro mechanic, so we grew up with all VWs, Audis, BMWs and Mercs. I'll admit that the GM of the 80's and 90's were nothing to write home about, but they definitely turned things around.
It was a leased vehicle in 2011, I knew that and told the sales manager I knew they'd made a good amount of money on the car, a three year old car is not worth 20 grand no matter what trim level ! Lol they fought the bank for a 2.8% which is impressive for my age ! (20 at the time)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.