Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
I needed fuel economy so started with the top lists on fuel efficient cars and then researched from there.
I wanted a car that was fun to drive and had some oomph.
From the research I did the diesel cruze seemed to fit.

I saw a diesel cruze at the price point the wife required and went for it.
I test drove and then she had a chance to drive it as well and was impressed.
I may have onyl test driven one car but I had several months of research into it before hand.

· Resident Derp
2,800 Posts
Needed something reliable for around $17-19k sticker. Hated the interior of the Focus, and in order to get the Impreza I wanted, I would have optioned myself out of the price range. Came down to the Cruze and got it out the door at $21k with tax, title, warranty, and a service booklet that covered all regular service up to 75,000 miles, bought it in full and drove it home same day.

Recently in June I picked up a 2016 Impreza Hatch 5MT as a daily now that the Cruze is turning into a pure show/track car. Hopefully next year or two I can upgrade the Impreza to a Forester XT or a truck.

Reactions: Merc6

10,589 Posts
The gear ratios or clunkiness didn't really bother me. It was the fact that it all broke horribly in 50k. Every. Single. Part.

Ok, reverse bothered me. Who the heck geared THAT? Also the clutch is terrible. Even with a new clutch disc, it isn't grabby like a Honda. Easy to drive, sure, good to drive, nay.
LOL the Eco gearing isn't any much better untill you get into the upper over drive ones. Reverse does suck up hill in the snow... like OMG look like a complete n00b in the 1st snow stalling it in reverse each year.

In 2011, with gas prices being what it was I decided it was time to dump the 06 Legacy GT Wagon as get something gas worthy but with a manual trans. My short list ended up being the Civic EX 5 sp, Corolla S 5 sp and Cruze Eco 6 SP. After driving them all I know I made the right decision.
LOL still have my 05 LGT, now wouldn't it have been a better sale if the Cruze estate made it here to help you transform from wagon to wagon?

For me I was looking for the 12 Malibu LTZ or 13 Impala LTZ. Having GM employee discount to use, can't use it on the 12 as it's not a new car and its halfway into 2013. Impala was sold out and the new body style was out at a huge price range, one left was used so can't use the discount on that either.

13 Malibu, couldn't get into the looks inside and outside.

13 Sonic, those head and tail lights and that gauge cluster was super turn off.

13 Cruze I had a 4-5 minute research online from my phone and one of the reviews pointed me at eco 6mt. Walking though the lot I assumed it wasn't going to be there in the sea of LS and 1LT's. Came across a black Cruze with chrome wheels and Enterprise rental "E" on the back of it. You can already guess what I just found, the elusive eco 6MT. Now having more time and research, wish I was able to hold off on that untill I found the even more elusive 2LT RS 6mt. I needed a car like that week so I couldn't just special order it, incentives on special order are almost non existent at that dealer. Even now, the Premier Cruze is holding strong with dirt rings built up around the tires as the L/LS are the incentive cars for them.

I was literally looking at these 2 on the way home from the Lordstown meet this year and the 16 limited was 2K more than the Premier RS with incentives.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
2014 or 2015 Subaru WRX
Couldn't find any 2013's with the options I wanted and it was more than I wanted to spend. Subaru stopped making 2014 WRX's in December of 2013 and the 2015's weren't released until March of 2014.

2011 Infiniti G37xS
Was my dad's company car and I could've got the buyout on the company lease for a good deal, but Infiniti maintenance made me nervous. I had worked at an Infiniti dealer for a while in the service department and the maintenance was pretty much BMW expensive.

2014 Ford Focus ST and 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
was quite ineterested, but couldn't find a dealer that even had one for me to come and look at, nevermind drive.
You may be the only person ever to cross-shop the Cruze with those models lol. Glad you found the right car for you. Related question, how does the diesel model drive? Is it particularly sluggish off the line? Does it have the typical diesel idle (ie loud)

· Premium Member
239 Posts
I was shopping for a diesel. VW was out due to the ongoing scandal. Just as well; the other VWs I've owned were somewhat troublesome and expensive to repair. I considered the Prius but the low torque engine made for an unimpressive freeway driver, plus they're expensive for what amounts to a pretty basic car.

I would have just gone for the Cruze diesel right off the bat, except there weren't any. Took a while before one popped up in Arizona, and I grabbed it. Filling up the tank in my Jeep really makes me appreciate the Cruze diesel. Practically runs on air by comparison.

2,191 Posts
2011 Ford Crown Victoria

I always liked the panther platform. Extremely reliable, good looking, and comfortable. I specifically wanted the 2011 because it was the last year they made them, and they had the tach in the gauge cluster (which I believe was 06+). However, I live with my parents and Dad said the only car that will go in the driveway is another GM. According to him, Ford=Junk.

Who's laughing now with my repair list? Would have been better off with a Crown Vic.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Merc6

10,589 Posts
2011 Ford Crown Victoria

I always liked the panther platform. Extremely reliable, good looking, and comfortable. I specifically wanted the 2011 because it was the last year they made them, and they had the tach in the gauge cluster (which I believe was 06+). However, I live with my parents and Dad said the only car that will go in the driveway is another GM. According to him, Ford=Junk.

Who's laughing now with my repair list? Would have been better off with a Crown Vic.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
I was looking similar year Town Car. Same car, more sound deadening, less CVE and slightly less HP. Same boat for tons of miles cause it most likely was fleet use. Every now and then you run across the extended frame ones. May favorite year was 03 panther as they just went to the new steering and still had real tint strips. 04 the whole dot matrix tint strip started. 03 also had this weird vacuum assisted parking brake release so once you crossed from neutral to D it released the brake and off you go.

· Registered
297 Posts
You may be the only person ever to cross-shop the Cruze with those models lol. Glad you found the right car for you. Related question, how does the diesel model drive? Is it particularly sluggish off the line? Does it have the typical diesel idle (ie loud)
Lol.....yeah, it took a bit of searching for me to find what I wanted. I was okay with giving up outright speed compared to my Camaro as long as the torque was satisfying enough to compensate for the lack of horsepower. I either wanted something decently fast or so,thing where the
torque gave the illusion of decent performance. So I was naturally drawn to the diesel. I didn't even know that the Cruze Diesel existed until I came across the Car and Driver article comparing the Jetta to the Cruze.

I love the the way the diesel drives, but I will be honest and say, yes it is painfully sluggish off the line. Not even like a turbo spool sluggish. I think it has a lot of torque management programmed in. It's loud from the outside, but on the inside it's very quiet. Looking back, I wish I had considered a gas Cruze. I would've been looking at a loaded 2LT RS with a manual and financially that would've made way more sense. I got the Diesel in early 2014. The gas Cruze's had 0% financing and some decent discounts. The Diesels were new models and the best they'd offer was 3.99% and pretty much no discounts. Also, a lot of driving I do is heavily city. The gas Cruze would've probably been better fuel economy than the diesel is. I do truly love my diesel and may have still ended up getting it anyways, as I said though, I wish I at least considered a gas Cruze.

· Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I went in trading my Malibu which I loved dearly, was looking to get a newer Malibu but it needed features as mine had tons of features. Couldn't afford any Malibus that were 2LT and up which is what I needed to get the features I wanted, I refused to get an LT or LS.

After that my list of must haves was:

NOT silver
NO hubcaps
Decent stereo (but not a dealbreaker)
and if it was 4 cyl, HAD to have a turbo

Wants:
Upgraded audio (pioneer)
sunroof
navigation

They had no Cruzes I could afford with the above wants included so I settled for a black LT Cruze. I paid too much, but my car wasn't (safely) driveable in it's current state so I needed it, didn't have a choice.

I knew I could upgrade the stereo whenever I wanted to, also had no clue it had a turbo (I knew nothing about Cruzes at the time) so I lucked out getting a 2014 that isn't a POS like most of the older Cruzes.

PS: When buying my Cruze I literally only had about 13$ in my checking account, so you can officially buy a car with no money LMAO

· Registered
173 Posts
I wanted another impala, really like the new design. Priced out of that. Looked at the Malibu as well. Had a 2009 Malibu that I liked a lot. In shopping, I discovered what I didn't feel comfortable affording.

I found a 2016 cruze limited LT that a great dealer had for cheap with only 3k miles. They used it as a service loaner for 6 months. Perfect shape, and almost 10k cheaper than one with zero miles. Done deal. Love the car so far.

· Registered
683 Posts
When I bought my 14 LT, I looked at an Elantra, too small, a Ford Focus, too small, and didn't like the radio. Also looked at a Civic, hated it, and way too small. Once I sat in the Cruze, I knew it was well roomy enough, and liked the quietness. My new 16 LT, I didn't cross shop at all.

· Registered
136 Posts
For me it drives quick but not fast. 1/2 or 3/4 throttle gives best acceleration and shifting through the gears.
It does rumble at idle. Outside it sounds like the wife's 6L v8 3/4 ton chevy truck if you have the hood open.
Inside your can barely hear it. Unless I tell people its a diesel they don't really notice.

Car drives solid with good balance and cornering. acceleration is good. seats are comfy.
Compared to my mother's 2004 grand prix gt I'd rather drive the cruze.

I think giving it an engine tune would make it accelerate faster that the grand prix.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.