Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

What did you do TO your Cruze today?

300824 Views 2264 Replies 327 Participants Last post by  Bluelight
Post what you did to er and maybe even a picture to accompany it.

Today I just washed it and did a quick wax job. It was pretty dirty from about 5 commutes to work!
1941 - 1960 of 2265 Posts
Black lines are valleys in the rotor face. Anyone else seen this happen to a gen2 with less than 65k on the clock?
Not a Cruze, but my '17 Volt (which is the same D2XX platform) is at 30.5k miles and just wore through the inner pad on the RR side and the rotors are also trashed. Slides on the RR are completely free-moving. And this is a car that basically gets no brake usage.
Reactions: 1
Not today but last weekend.
Had to stop hard and standing on the pedal I came to a stop 10-15 feet further than I expected :oops:
Pulled the drums, cleaned out brake dust, checked the cylinders and pad material.
Up front I found a stuck, dry-as-a-bone slide pin in the FR. Good material. Cleaned and lubed slide pins, still felt a little off with a hard stop. Checked the fluid and it was as black as old oil. I realize it must be at least 5 years old... probably original to my '13. So, I also did a full flush and fill on the brake fluid. All good now!
You should see the numbers-matching fluid in my 2007 Cobalt. :LOL: :cry:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
new rear shocks

went with CHEAP ones this time

stock ones lasted 60,000 miles

replaced with bilsteins that were $$$$, they lasted less ( i have very rough roads) miles now have 125,000 miles

we'll see how they handle, i can change em out more often and still be ahead vs stock or $$$ ones
new rear shocks

replaced with bilsteins that were $$$$, they lasted less ( i have very rough roads) miles now have 125,000 miles

we'll see how they handle, i can change em out more often and still be ahead vs stock or $$$ ones
Your roads must really suck (given the video you posted of the road they simply...removed...without any kind of warning that took out half the underside of your car, I can only imagine)...we're here in Michigan (known for terrible roads, especially in winter) and our shocks/struts are still doing great around the same mileage (I think we're at 117-118k now).
Your roads must really suck (given the video you posted of the road they simply...removed...without any kind of warning that took out half the underside of your car, I can only imagine)...we're here in Michigan (known for terrible roads, especially in winter) and our shocks/struts are still doing great around the same mileage (I think we're at 117-118k now).
i do live 15km up a logging road

and yeah, commute across the rockies year round, so lotsa high speed potholes

neighbor would replace his minivan shocks once a year just from the logging road commute

i used to buy cheap shocks for mine and wifes jeeps, but eventually got onto bilstein 5100s and they last loooong time and arent really more expensive

cruze shocks are more expensive (oem and bilstein)

fronts are still original, will check them closer tmmw when i change out a bad front hub
new rear shocks

I love the feel and ride on the FCS ones I got from Rock Auto, as good or better than the stockers I replaced.

Got around to trying to do a brake job, but only ended up painting the caliper bracket white.

See less See more
fought with the hub for a long time, was seized in there good

finally walked away early afternoon when it was too hot

just went outside and two whacks, she come out....had a good soak

slap it together in the am
See less See more
new rear shocks

If you still have the Bilsteins, they should be lifetime warrantied.

I've found a slide hammer to be absolute magic when removing wheel hubs. I used to beat on them for hours with a hammer until I found that about two minutes with a slide hammer does the same job far more efficiently...and with less destruction to your hearing, haha.

Love the jack stand. Have the same one at my house. 😉
If you still have the Bilsteins, they should be lifetime warrantied.
i still have em

im anticipating grief with that process, its hard enough just get new bilsteins, never in stock anywhere
  • Haha
I've found a slide hammer to be absolute magic when removing wheel hubs. I used to beat on them for hours with a hammer until I found that about two minutes with a slide hammer does the same job far more efficiently...and with less destruction to your hearing, haha.
all the videos showed silde hammer was no success

i did break it out to see if i could use the bolts and parts of it to do the 'expanding bolt method'

its a 2hr trip to town and back, and i dont have any bolts nuts to do that trick, if the hub didnt come out last night, i was goin to town this am to get bolts and nuts
Love the jack stand. Have the same one at my house. 😉
i made those four 'ramps' for the car, four of em

to be able to do oil changes with the car level, and then made 4 more that add to them to put the car even higher to do the trans drain/fill and keep the car level

in time ive developed a better system

where the car is, its sloped down at the front of the car, so i just use two ramps under front wheels, makes car level, and more than enough room for my fat body to fit under
went together with a little grief, i managed to screw up the threads of the axle nut a bit

would go on totally normal, then when the shaft was to come proud of the nut, just bind up....took a bit of filing and grinding, then success

the abs light i had on for the last 2yrs is gone, and the bearing noise ive had ~6mos is gone, yay.
Today, I changed the oil in my '17, rotated the tires, replaced both broken sun visors, and added OEM door sill plates.
See less See more
Adjusted the drums, and oh boy I had fun.... more like a fml moment not realizing that adjusting requires one to fully reset the parking cable too. 4 times with the wheels off.

But man are they working good now. Flushed the brake fluid, and changed the wheel sensors. Got my parking brake handle to fully lock at 3 to 4 clicks instead of near bottoming out. Car's brakes feels a bit firmer over all.

Just have to take care of the fronts and the clutch.
Changed my oil & filter today. First time I've done it myself on my Cruze. I generally take it to the dealership because it's $20 more than doing it myself and I'll happily pay $20 to not have to do it. Unfortunately I'm working 100% of the time the dealership is open now since they no longer are open on Saturdays :(

Mobil One full synthetic and Wix filter ~$50
Swapped out the 2-Sided LEDs in our Mini H1 retrofits for a pair of 8-Sided LEDs. The bulbs were starting to act up - would occasionally lose one side of the bulb, the bulbs were rotating, and the other week, the left one was incredibly dim to the point I thought it was off. So they needed to be replaced, but it made sense to upgrade to something that should be more ideal in a projector, as 2-sided bulbs really aren't.

It was a little bit of a pain to swap the bulbs because of the clips H1 bulbs use to keep them in, but mainly due to the lack of room to work, especially on the lefthand side...until I realized the washer fluid filler was easily removed, at which point I had no issue getting the clip on. On the righthand side, I had to pull half the short-ram intake off to make sure I had enough room to work. :ROFLMAO:

Won't really know how much better they work, but they seem to work plenty well in the driveway (at the very least on-par with the 2-sided bulbs, back when they worked), and the high-beams seem to be far superior.

See less See more
Reactions: 3
1941 - 1960 of 2265 Posts