Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post as I dont even own a cruze yet. I am looking for a new to me car and was really considering this car. Its a 2016 but appears to be the old body style. I went to check it out but have not driven it yet. Does it seem like a good deal and is there anything I need to look out for when I go back or test drive the car? Would you recommend the new body style over this one, I like the look of the first body style more? This car just seems like it has everything.

Edit: I cannot post a link to the car because I am new. Its a 2016 Cruze LTZ with 16k on it. They want 16095 for it. Its automatic. If you really want to help me out the car is for sale at robert cherolet in hicksville, ny and it is the blue one. Let me know what you think

Thank you in advance.

Scott

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well I have a 2011 with the 1.4 turbo. Can't say I would buy another one, even the new Cruze simply because of my experience hasn't been great. Depreciation is steep, and some flaky problems have been happening to some while other owners seem immune. My personal observations have been the transmission is sloppy and has poor, slow shifts. Millage is not up to par with ratings and at best I have gotten 30 on my LTZ but of course I have 18" tires so that doesn't help MPG. I am at 59000 miles now and have had three water pumps, two turbo's, mysterious coolant loss, a right leg that overheats in Summer from heater core, and a turbo engine that runs to hot for my liking and likes premium gas in the hot months. Also the t stat is not your normal $12 thermostat. No GM has installed a "special" one that costs around $100. Also, better run synthetic oil and don't even bother with GM's oil minder. You'll need to change the oil a lot more frequently if you plan on keeping the car very long. I have drove the new Cruze model and to me its doesn't fix what was wrong with previous models. My advice is buy a older model with the 1.8 natural aspirated engine and forgo the headache potential of the turbo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have a 2011 with the 1.4 turbo. Can't say I would buy another one, even the new Cruze simply because of my experience hasn't been great. Depreciation is steep, and some flaky problems have been happening to some while other owners seem immune. My personal observations have been the transmission is sloppy and has poor, slow shifts. Millage is not up to par with ratings and at best I have gotten 30 on my LTZ but of course I have 18" tires so that doesn't help MPG. I am at 59000 miles now and have had three water pumps, two turbo's, mysterious coolant loss, a right leg that overheats in Summer from heater core, and a turbo engine that runs to hot for my liking and likes premium gas in the hot months. Also the t stat is not your normal $12 thermostat. No GM has installed a "special" one that costs around $100. Also, better run synthetic oil and don't even bother with GM's oil minder. You'll need to change the oil a lot more frequently if you plan on keeping the car very long. I have drove the new Cruze model and to me its doesn't fix what was wrong with previous models. My advice is buy a older model with the 1.8 natural aspirated engine and forgo the headache potential of the turbo.
Thank you for the honest opinion. It sounds like the car has been horrible to own. Not what i wanted to hear but this is stuff i need to hear.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have a 2011 ltz with the 1.4T as well, I have had one issue besides the recalls, and my dealer was 100% perfect with dealing with it and fixed my car next in line at the shop and I didn't pay a dime. I get good gas mileage but I only run on 87 so if I went up to a higher quality gas I'd get better (to a point)

I know they have fixed a lot of ways the car performs by the later years and the 2016 (limited is what it's called when it's a 2016 but the older body style) so theoretically that's the best of the 1st gen 1.4t and me and jescott418 have the lesser of the 1.4t

I'm assuming you mean his one

http://www.robertchevrolet.com/Vehi...ze_Limited-Sedan_LTZ-Hicksville-NY/2930043673

At 12-14 grand I think it's a fair buy for you and the dealer, they probably bought that car from its previous owner, or from Chevy after a repo, or an early lease termination, either way they own it for cheap so they can afford to come down on that price a big number, it's a good car, no reported accidents and no crazy maintenance milestones you have to be worried about just yet.

My dad always said "a car's like a woman son, the better you treat her, the better she'll treat you." Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2011 ltz with the 1.4T as well, I have had one issue besides the recalls, and my dealer was 100% perfect with dealing with it and fixed my car next in line at the shop and I didn't pay a dime. I get good gas mileage but I only run on 87 so if I went up to a higher quality gas I'd get better (to a point)

I know they have fixed a lot of ways the car performs by the later years and the 2016 (limited is what it's called when it's a 2016 but the older body style) so theoretically that's the best of the 1st gen 1.4t and me and jescott418 have the lesser of the 1.4t

I'm assuming you mean his one

http://www.robertchevrolet.com/Vehi...ze_Limited-Sedan_LTZ-Hicksville-NY/2930043673

At 12-14 grand I think it's a fair buy for you and the dealer, they probably bought that car from its previous owner, or from Chevy after a repo, or an early lease termination, either way they own it for cheap so they can afford to come down on that price a big number, it's a good car, no reported accidents and no crazy maintenance milestones you have to be worried about just yet.

My dad always said "a car's like a woman son, the better you treat her, the better she'll treat you." Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sounds like you have had a much better experience then the first responder. Yes that is the one i was looking at. Thanks for the response. I feel better about the car already.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I currently have a 2012 LTZ RS and must say, I love my car! The issues are hit or miss (as with any car). The dealership I purchased from was less than desired, but all in all, it has been a great car for me!

Also, like @Chevy_Country said, the better you treat your car, the better it treats you :)

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,998 Posts
The last few years of the 1.4 are the ones that will have most of the early production bugs ironed out. Water pumps were redesigned multiple times, valve covers were updated multiple times for PCV issues, transmissions had the bugs ironed out, etc. They will still have issues due to inherent design flaws in the motor, but I think they'll be much less frequent.

I would not buy a 2011-2012 used, but I think a 2014-2016 would be a safe bet. Go test drive the car and see what you think. Test drive one of the new ones as well - you may be able to find a new leftover 2016.5 that they'll put lots of $ back on the hood of.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Owner of a 2012 2LT RS 6mt

Only serious issue covered under warranty was the trans...needed to be rebuilt around 75,000 miles.

Otherwise trouble free and I would buy a new Cruze tomorrow if it was time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Owner of a 2014 LT1 and 2016 Gen2 LT here. The 2014 was purchased by us in a pinch... we were upside down on our broke down Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, but we still wanted something that was a reasonable size and also a decent feature-set and sunroof. Aside from going from a car that had north of 340 horsepower (yes, with mods) to one that had only 140, the biggest issue I have with our 2014 is the horrible the transmission behavior. Smooth is something I never associate with either our 2014 or 2016 shifts and acceleration. In fact the 2016 is much worse in my opinion. If it's hot in the summer where you are (over 80F), you'll be required to run premium unless you want to be "that guy" on the on ramp, struggling to get to speed, let alone pass in a reasonable amount of time. Later years of the gen 1 have been pretty hassle free, at least in my experience. Looking back I probably should of bit the bullet and spent the 4 grand to repair our GXP, or have gotten a Buick Verano. Our 2014 isn't a terrible car, but it's not a great car either. Mediocre is a word I'd describe it as, it gets the job done, but well, there are better compacts out there. The only reason we got the 2014 was there was a lot of cash on the hood in incentives. Same with our 2016 Gen 2 Lease.

Your 2016 Gen 1 is right on the cusp of a pretty severe depreciation that hasn't hit it yet. Well i mean, it's probably already lost about 8000-10000. It'll be worth only 9-10K in a few months. If I were you, I'd look for a 2015 (which has the updated grill/leds as well) that has already bottomed out that pretty rough 12-16 months of depreciation right off the lot new. That is unless you're looking to keep it for the entire life of your loan.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The 2011 and to some extent the 2012 had new model teething pains. I've got a 2013 ltz I picked up used and it's been fine. As a car, I have no qualms about a 2016 Gen1. Value is a different issue. As a Gen1, I do think it's going to take a depreciation hit. I'd shop comparable and start negotiating.

I think 16K is high, but not an unreasonable opening bid. Just set your walk-away price before going on. Better yet, a backup plan/car so your not too hung up on this car. Do offer lower than that price and let them talk you up.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new on here as well, bought our 2013 LTZ 1.4t in October 16 from a good friend at a local GMC dealership. Luckily it still had 9,000 miles on the power train warrenty. First 4 months the dealer had the car more than we did. After we would get it back from the dealer, we would get about 100 miles out of it and start smelling oil. Return to dealer and they would fix the next item leaking. They were professional but always thought the last mech that worked on it pinched a gasket or over torqued a line. When the turbo line blew and we lost all engine oil in approx 3 miles we noted an oil warning light never illuminated. We serviced the oil and the dealership was just a mile or two away. We took it back (5th time) showed the service agent. They gave us a loaner, called us the next day and stated that the specific line that blew was probably the only one not covered under warrenty. We paid for the repair 100 miles later, new oil leak. While running I pulled the valve cover cap and the pressure almost blew the cap out of my hand. Took the car back and showed them. Short story long. They rebuilt the engine, due to compression test and stated the piston rings were seized in the piston grooves. They also found that this pressure blew seals internal and they replaced all radiator, heater lines, heater core. Was never the mechanic pinching seals. It was too much pressure for the PVC to handle, which they changed 3 times previous. Now I'm feeling loss of power so I joined this group to review Turbo issues. Highly recommend removing the oil fill cap while idling. If it has signs of positive pressure, steer clear.. ours will now suck 8t back into position when I put it back on.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,998 Posts
After reading all these horror stories I think ill just pass on the Cruze. Thanks for all the help.
Keep in mind that people mostly join forums for help or because their cars have had issues. Every car out there has issues, and boards like this are usually where those owners end up.

You asked in the first post about the Gen 2. I would very highly recommend checking out both of them, but I feel that the Gen 2 is leaps and bounds of progress forward, and so do lots of the auto magazines.

On the other hand, there are definitely other cars you could look at for a reliable daily driver. The Malibu with the 2.5L, albeit boring, is quite reliable, as are the Fusion, Camry/Accord, Civic/Corolla. Avoid the Dart/Focus and you can't really go wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Acftdoc, I think your problem was a bad dealer. Clearly, they had trouble diagnosing the engine after being given multiple chances. A bad dealer with any car is going to be a horror story. And those horror stories exist for all brands.

Reactions: Merc6

·
10,712 Posts
Keep in mind that people mostly join forums for help or because their cars have had issues. Every car out there has issues, and boards like this are usually where those owners end up.

You asked in the first post about the Gen 2. I would very highly recommend checking out both of them, but I feel that the Gen 2 is leaps and bounds of progress forward, and so do lots of the auto magazines.

On the other hand, there are definitely other cars you could look at for a reliable daily driver. The Malibu with the 2.5L, albeit boring, is quite reliable, as are the Fusion, Camry/Accord, Civic/Corolla. Avoid the Dart/Focus and you can't really go wrong.
This, nobody goes and makes a review on good stuff. You normally see the people who purchased a used rental or leased car that was treated like crap on top of the issues common with that car and only make 4 or 5 posts that are not that great and never return. I came here on good terms with my 2013 and ended up with a bad car so I was a weird combo against the norm. The rest of the group is people who want to do more to the car. 15/16 is the sweet spot of the years but lacking if you don't get 2LT/Diesel and above. Only real complaint of the 15/16 is paint but that's gonna be any new car sub $50K new these days.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I see a few red flags with this car. My first thought is, why would someone sell a 1 year old car with only 16K miles? Either they didn't like it, or they had problems, or it was a used rental car or fleet car of some sort. I would want to see the history. My second thought is that this car will probably depreciate a lot in the next year since it is a Gen 1 and people will start wanting the Gen 2 cars.

I really like my '14 Cruze. It has been great so far. No problems yet.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I see a few red flags with this car. My first thought is, why would someone sell a 1 year old car with only 16K miles? Either they didn't like it, or they had problems, or it was a used rental car or fleet car of some sort.
It happens. People's needs change. I bought a 18 month old car with 11K on it. I'm pretty sure it was owned by someone in the military. They might have taken a lot of ribbing about having a practical car. The oil line for the turbo is insulated suggesting it's been changed. If there were any problems, it was rehabilitated before I got it.

Carfax should show if it was a rental.

·
10,712 Posts
It happens. People's needs change. I bought a 18 month old car with 11K on it. I'm pretty sure it was owned by someone in the military. They might have taken a lot of ribbing about having a practical car. The oil line for the turbo is insulated suggesting it's been changed. If there were any problems, it was rehabilitated before I got it.

Carfax should show if it was a rental.
Yeah orders to Korea under E6 would do that. Also look for the service stickers rentals leave behind on drivers door or battery area.

·
2,168 Posts
I bought my 2014 1LT Cruze with the 1.4L turbo and the manual 6-speed in 03/15 and have since put 40K miles on it. I haven't had any issues at all. I've simply changed the oil, and just replaced the tires. I did replace my manual trans fluid but you won't have to worry about that with the auto. This is my personal experience. That being said, I think if I could do it all over, I wouldn't buy another turbo vehicle. But that's just me.

It does get amazing gas mileage and those rare times when you can hear the turbo spool, it makes me smile.

Reactions: dhpnet
1 - 19 of 19 Posts