Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Are you truly intrested with an emission friendly version

• Total voters
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
My wife is driving a 2018 Equinox diesel that we use for trips. Mileage on trips is always over 40 MPG. Overall the information systems is calculating MPG at 35 for all miles driven (18 K). The 1.6 diesel with six speed auto tranny has been great for us.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.6 L TD 9T50
48 Posts
Been another 3 weeks, any news?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think OP discovered there's nothing to be gained from an aftermarket tune with the OEM emissions system still in place.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think OP discovered there's nothing to be gained from an aftermarket tune with the OEM emissions system still in place.
I doubt that. KermaTDI gets an extra 34hp, 95lb-ft, and 10% fuel economy gain with their tune that leaves all emission equipment in place on 2.0 VW engines. Upgrade the turbo to the Euro-model and it's good for 210 horsepower.

Yes, there is an extre 400cc displacement to work with, and that's significant. Still, they state that exhaust flow through stock emission equipment is not a limiting factor for their tuning.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Those are also pre-dieselgate Tier 2 engines. Try and find a tune for a 2017+ model year or newer. (Might have even switched in 2016 for some models.)

The GM 1.6 is Tier 3 which has an allowable soot and NOx level some 75-ish% lower. The most you could get out of it is a very short-term power bump at WOT that rapidly clogs the DPF and flirts heavily with tripping a CEL for NOx output. Not something many people are going to throw down a few hundred bucks on, particularly when so many of these engines are still under warranty (and many are making good use of that warranty due to emissions equipment.)

This has been discussed many times already.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Those are also pre-dieselgate Tier 2 engines. Try and find a tune for a 2017+ model year or newer. (Might have even switched in 2016 for some models.)
VW didn't sell anything beyond 2015 models. The 2016 models were held up in port while the EPA was awaiting an explanation from VW as to why they didn't meet emissions requirements in real-world use, and that's when VW admitted to the cheating scandal. As far as I know, none of those 2016 models were ever sold here. I could be wrong and it's a truncated 2016 model year, but certainly nothing 2017 or newer. VW will never sell another diesel car in the USA for the rest of my life because of this.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
What if a person were to add a water-meth injection kit to a tuned vehicle? That would help with keeping the DPF a bit cleaner would it not? Perhaps without any tuning whatsoever, a water-meth kit would be good for both power bump and mpg increase, without hurting the emissions system ...

·
Registered
619 Posts
What if a person were to add a water-meth injection kit to a tuned vehicle? That would help with keeping the DPF a bit cleaner would it not? Perhaps without any tuning whatsoever, a water-meth kit would be good for both power bump and mpg increase, without hurting the emissions system ...
During steady highway cruising the DPF appears to keep clean with passive regeneration. I've driven from Central Illinois to Seattle and back and never once did I see a regeneration cycle done at highway speeds for the entire trip. This tells me that highway speeds has a combination of low soot production and and high enough exhaust temperatures that some soot is continuously burned out of the DPF to where it isn't accumulating any back pressure to need an active regeneration cycle.

In a diesel engine there is no need to cool intake charge to avoid pre-combustion. In fact, cooling the intake would be detrimental to keeping the DPF clean because you'd possibly get lower exhaust temperatures. That would interfere with passive regeneration.

You would be adding a lot of complication to your car. You'd have to have a tank somewhere to store the WM mixture, so that would take up trunk space. You'd have to have the hardware of valves, hoses, and a pump to get that mixture forward to the engine, and an intake injector of some kind. Then you'd have to have a controlled injection of the fluid, which would require an interface with the ECU to control injection and match it to the quantity of diesel fuel injected in the engines (reduce diesel injected to match the methanol injected into the intake stream). This computer interface would have to take into account all the regular operation parameters of the engine AND THEN also have a mode to disable it during active regeneration cycles so the ECU can do its thing to clean the DPF without other factors screwing it up.

This sounds like a million dollar project to try to save a few dimes.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.6 L TD 9T50
48 Posts
I've driven from Central Illinois to Seattle and back and never once did I see a regeneration cycle done at highway speeds for the entire trip.
I would be very confident saying you had regens. I drive almost exclusively highway and oddly I can only get 1250-1275 km before one is forced... Probably because there has always been a parameter for distance since last regen. Before the latest recall, why would that parameter exist?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would be very confident saying you had regens.
Come to think of it, I believe there was one very short regen cycle.

I've noticed quite a few occasions that I fill the fuel tank up and when I pull out onto a highway (it's often fueled at a Casey's station on a highway between my house and my parents' house, because that Casey's routinely has low price on diesel) the car will immediately go into regen. It gives me the educated guess that the car tracks when a regen COULD be done but it isn't quite at 100% soot load yet, and it sees the fuel tank filled and the car zooming at highway speeds, so it throws it into regen immediately while the exhaust system is warmed all the way up already.

I filled up with fuel at a station in Montana on my way back to Illinois. I pulled a long/steep highway on ramp and was quickly up to a regular cruising speed of 90mph. Right then, the car went into regen for about 3-4 miles. It was quickly finished.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts