Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. cruzers:

I have a 2012 eco manual. I usually change to higher gear too soon, sometime I feel a little shaky in manual transmission. I am wondering, by doing this, putting too much strain to the gear, doing any damage to the car?

I also have another question, does my glass has some tint inside? by lowering window (sun beam without glass), or rolling up the window (sun beam through the glass), I do not see difference through my naked eyes, however, I do see the difference through the sun glass. Is there a place to look at the glass specification of 2012 manual eco?

I see that chevy has 2017 hatchback, I am wondering if we could get WAGON? like VW jetta wagon. Or even better, get old style wagon, like mazda protégé, or the early days, corolla wagon.

Thanks.

Dan

·
2,168 Posts
You can do long term damage to the engine by "lugging" the engine. If the engine starts to feel shaky under 2,000 RPM, usually while going uphill, or slowing down, it's definitely time to downshift to a lower gear. On flat ground just cruising at a constant speed, you can run the engine in the 1,500-2,000 RPM range, but for accelerating or going up hills you should really be above 2,200 RPM.

Also I believe the windows come with a 70ish % tint which you should notice by looking at the shadow of the window as the sun comes through compared to where the sun is just hitting directly.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
If you call for more power and you don't get it, downshift.

I looked at a 2017 Cruze hatchback. It's very close to a wagon - in fact I'd say it's what a wagon would look like if you slope in the rear window for aerodynamics.

·
2,168 Posts
I too would prefer the wagon, the hatchback offers less trunk room but more height and easier loading than the sedan. The wagon gives you more floor space AND more height. Plus I think it looks better. This is the old style cruze wagon that they sell in other countries but for some reason, we're not good enough to get it.

·
10,712 Posts
OEM plugs it feels like I was lugging the engine, soon as I went NGK's 6th gear at 40 actually feels normal.

Yes all cars have a high 70%75% tint to them unless it falls under the hatch/SUV rule where the contents can be hidden and it gets like 35%. Random vehicles fell into it so I can't really say what. Chrysler had PT Cruiser tinted rear but if you didn't get a Grand Caravan that similar year you had all clear looking 70ish % all around. Sonics certain years had a tint strip at the AS1 line but Cruze didn't from what I seen.

Yeah I totally wish we had the Estate(wagon) but I think GM wants us to just grab the Equinox instead. Kinda like how Honda makes you go Crosstour.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,229 Posts
The only wagons that really ever sold here were Volvos, and most of them in the 90s-early 2000s. There's an Acura dealership here with a 2014 TSX wagon they just can't seem to get rid of.

Crossovers are the big craze now. Although I don't quite understand the point of things like the CX-3 and HRV that are based on small car platforms, with an underpowered engine for its size, with a low roofline and no trunk space behind the seats. They're goofy looking and mostly useless for interior room anyway.

·
10,712 Posts
The only wagons that really ever sold here were Volvos, and most of them in the 90s-early 2000s. There's an Acura dealership here with a 2014 TSX wagon they just can't seem to get rid of.

Crossovers are the big craze now. Although I don't quite understand the point of things like the CX-3 and HRV that are based on small car platforms, with an underpowered engine for its size, with a low roofline and no trunk space behind the seats. They're goofy looking and mostly useless for interior room anyway.
That also described Trax/Encore. Supposedly its for the person who wants a SUV height but with big city parallel parking maneuverability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the answers to my first two questions. I will change my habit and not switch the gear too soon, to :wub: lug my engine.

Talking about the wagon, I really miss the 'good old' days that we could pay 1-1.5k over the lowest trim level and got the wagon, like corolla wagon.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts