Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just moved and I am currently faced with a new commute to work because of it. I am driving about 50KM or 31 Miles as have I left the city for the edge of what we can realistically call the suburbs. I have three possible routes:

1) The south route - taking out 400 series highways, this route would be the fastest if there is no traffic (110km/hr), but the route I take would see me sitting in traffic for 70% of the trip and would take 1.5+ hours on an average day

2) The north route - taking northern secondary highways (70-90km/hr) but there are traffic bottle necks in places as a lot of other people use this route and there is construction. This route takes about and hour and 10 minutes.

3) The really north route - Similar to the north route, but I drive about 25 KM on concession roads instead of the road with most of the traffic. However about 5.5km is a gravel road that has a lot of bumps and some washboard sections. This route takes about 55 min.

Route number 1 is a write off, but I am stuck between route 2 and 3. Route two puts me sitting in stop and go traffic for about 15 extra minutes (which also really sucks with a manual) and puts a lot of wear on my car in it's way. Route 3 is great because I encounter very little traffic (almost no other cars) but I imagine that driving a total of 1430 km on rough roads per year must be hard on the car but is it worse than stop and go traffic? If nothing else it sure helps my sanity....

Just wondering what everyone else's opinion is.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
If you don't mind the dust and mud on your car, take route 3. Be aware however that you really risk dinging up our incredibly soft paint doing this. Mud flaps are a must to protect the car.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,544 Posts
I would take route 2. This is a car, not a truck - you'll wear out the suspension bits in no time at all and be replacing things every 30-40K. The clutch will last a heck of a lot longer than that.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Without knowing the terrain, speed limits and number of stops signs its really hard to judge any of these routes. I would drive all of them each way resetting the DIC so you can see which one get the best MPG in each direction, then I would take the best in each direction.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I would do route 1 or 2, dirt roads will tear your car apart quick.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Since everybody has to be at the same place at the same time, an hour can make a huge difference.

Can leave an hour earlier and go home an hour later to avoid a lot of traffic jams and even make your employer happy.

Or leave an hour later and come home an hour earlier, but then your employer won't be very happy.

Neither works if you have to drop your kids off at school first, only give you a very short window.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I assume transportation to and from work or school is not tax deductible in Canada like in the US. Ha, if it is, I am moving further north.

But if it isn't, whatever you do is coming out of your pocket.

Eisenhower was impressed with the autobahn in Germany for a nickel a gallon gas tank, managed to build an entire interstate in this county.

Nixon was his vice-president, when he became president only contribution he made was dropping the speed limit from 70 to 55 mph. Even though 90% of the traffic was in cities. But didn't make much difference in any interstate in any major city, still were lucky to hit 5 mph. But it sure made a difference if you had to drive through Idaho.

With our current government, with 55 cents a gallon gas tax, can't even repair a pothole. Now, isn't this telling it the way it is?

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Having grown up when in country towns the only road that was surfaced was the main street and everything else was dirt. Even so cars seemed to have no particular problems because of it. Unless the NA cruze is a lot weaker than mine rout 3 should be fine, just be sensible in the rough patches. Also make sure you have a spare tyre and tools to change it in your car, forget the space saver though.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Only vehicles I have seen in the USA that have a full size spare still are trucks. Have not seen a passenger car here with one for 30+ years.
That is a trend here as well, but at least we have the option of a spare at no extra cost in the Cruze. The Commodore comes with a space saver, but you can option a full size for about $100 if you want it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts