Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hands down, even including these Japanese jobs was my 1965 Buick Electra, had it for over 12 years, and put on over 330,000 miles, was still running great. Extremely reliable absolutely no problem with that MVAC system, but did have to add a can of R-12 to it every 3 or 4 years. Zero problems with the cooling system, never changed the water pump, radiator, not heater core.

Only reason for selling it, the rust was getting to me, guy I sold it to didn't care, had it for another 5 years that I knew of, maybe longer. 1965 was one of the most profitable years for GM and was ran by engineers. Only major objection I had with it was that crazy rear main bearing rope seal. I see they are making an aftermarket neoprene for it now. TH-400 transmission was bullet proof, plus had limited slip differential.

Just saying, GM did know how to make great cars once. Was in around 1968 I found an AM-FM radio for it, mine just had the AM. That was really great back then.

This photo was taken when this car was already ten years old.

View attachment 174314

Ha forgot about three mods I did to this car, added a box between the ignition points and the stock coil with a capacitor discharge ignition circuit inside, this extended the life of the points to around 100K miles. The SCR was a new invention at the time. Talk about a hot spark.

Opened up the voltage regulator, pulled out the coils and replaced those with silicon transistors, was problem free after this.

Last was adding an aftermarket cruise control, was around 40 bucks at that time.

Was also a 20 mpg car.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Hands down, even including these Japanese jobs was my 1965 Buick Electra, had it for over 12 years, and put on over 330,000 miles, was still running great. Extremely reliable absolutely no problem with that MVAC system, but did have to add a can of R-12 to it every 3 or 4 years. Zero problems with the cooling system, never changed the water pump, radiator, not heater core.

Only reason for selling it, the rust was getting to me, guy I sold it to didn't care, had it for another 5 years that I knew of, maybe longer. 1965 was one of the most profitable years for GM and was ran by engineers. Only major objection I had with it was that crazy rear main bearing rope seal. I see they are making an aftermarket neoprene for it now. TH-400 transmission was bullet proof, plus had limited slip differential.

Just saying, GM did know how to make great cars once. Was in around 1968 I found an AM-FM radio for it, mine just had the AM. That was really great back then.

This photo was taken when this car was already ten years old.

View attachment 174314

Ha forgot about three mods I did to this car, added a box between the ignition points and the stock coil with a capacitor discharge ignition circuit inside, this extended the life of the points to around 100K miles. The SCR was a new invention at the time. Talk about a hot spark.

Opened up the voltage regulator, pulled out the coils and replaced those with silicon transistors, was problem free after this.

Last was adding an aftermarket cruise control, was around 40 bucks at that time.

Was also a 20 mpg car.
That's a great looking car!

My favorite car I've ever had was my Mustang. It was a 1989 notch back LX That I got for $550. It had a rebuilt engine with 1km on it (I was there when it was put in), a 5 speed manual transmission and an 8.8 rear end.

The builder said he built many the way he built that and I should expect 250whp an a little north of 300wtq. It was 5 shades of flat black and had a 4" cowl and it looked like a pile of junk. Most fun car I ever had, mind you I'm only 26. Had to get rid of it because I couldn't afford the fuel and decided it was better to get rid of it and go to school.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
1990 (First Model Year) Pontiac Transport. Kept it for 12 years. Between the rear seats not having head support for my growing boys and finally having to put as much into it as a new car payment it was retired/traded for the Montana.

·
2,254 Posts
1998 Toyota Tacoma

410,652 miles, original engine and transmission (5-Speed Manual). Thing almost never left us (family truck before I got it) stranded.

Toyota recalled it due to frame rust issues and bought it back KBB value x2. Man I miss that truck. Still have the keys and owners manual. Text Font Technology Audio equipment Electronic device

·
Registered
280 Posts
1993 GMC Sierra 1500 SWB. Still have it. Going to be putting an intake gasket on it in a couple of weeks. First major job to have done to it in 23 years, but I do not consider that major. Only have put 114k miles on it since it was bought new in fall of 92'. Would be the last thing I would ever sell. Also, my 02' Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4WD that I sold 2 years ago. Never did a thing to it except put batteries in it. Kinda wish I had kept it, but I sold it to buy the 2013 Cruze for my daughter. I would have had 6 vehicles if I had not sold it, and that is too many for me to keep up with. Here is a pic of the GMC that I still have and the Duramax that I sold. Both were taken the day I sold the Duramax back in 2013.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
My 2002 Olds. Alero I miss that car. I like the GM N Body , wish I never sold it but I needed something not manual tranny for the wife to start driving. Once I got an automatic, I went thru withdrawl and boredom so I ultimately ended up with a 6M Cruze and wife still drives the automatic I couldn't stand.

·
Registered
589 Posts
2005 Jeep Liberty. We've owned it for over 11 years now, the wife wont let me sell it! I bought it in the fall of 04, since then we have had 0 major problems with it. It has never left us stranded or broken down in any way. Only two things have failed over the years, the window washer fluid float and an oil pressure switch, neither cost me more that $20.00 and were fix at home jobs.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

·
2,170 Posts
My cruze of course. But that being said, I have only owned a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4AT 3.1L V6, a 2009 Chevy Cobalt 2LT 5MT 2.2L I4, which I describe in detail under the worst car ever owned thread. And my current 2014 Cruze 1LT 6MT 1.4L I4. I've honestly loved them all. And my two bikes, they've both been excellent, the 2006 Ninja 250 in black which I sold to get the 2013 Ninja 300 in white which I still have and it matches the Cruze!

View attachment 174346 View attachment 174362 View attachment 174370 View attachment 174386 View attachment 174394

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
2005 Jeep Liberty. We've owned it for over 11 years now, the wife wont let me sell it! I bought it in the fall of 04, since then we have had 0 major problems with it. It has never left us stranded or broken down in any way. Only two things have failed over the years, the window washer fluid float and an oil pressure switch, neither cost me more that $20.00 and were fix at home jobs.
View attachment 174330
Here in nova Scotia there's almost none left. They rotted so bad there's not parts left in junkyards.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Best car to own and not have to repair - 2003 Camry V6 SE. Wonderful engine and 0 reliability problems ever. Zero personality. Plowed into by a Lexus with some idiot putting on makeup.

Best car to drive - 1998 Volvo S70 T5. Reliable it is not. Durable, yep!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
View attachment 174330
My dad has one too. Loves the thing, also been a great car besides the interior plastics falling apart. It has needed a PS pump and a radiator and a few sets of ball joints, not too bad for the age.

It does love to eat gas though. Power of a 4, thirst of a V8.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 174410

Really like the lines on this car, was using it to pull my 20' deep haul Thompson wood boat, but was getting bad rust where the trailer hitch hooked on. This was the car that had studded snow tires that were made illegal and started using tons of road salt.

Began an era of the only reason for getting rid of a vehicle, it was turning into a pile of rust. Practically all of my vehicles were pitched for the same reason, still good runners.

This is my longest kept car, 88 Supra, would have been problem free if it wasn't for ethanol, only stuff available and I didn't know any better at the time. Did that crap wreck my entire fuel system!

Now that I think about it, my major cause of vehicle problems is the government! Time to get a new government, costing us billions!

This car never saw road salt.

View attachment 174418

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I had a 1998 Camaro SS Convertible I bought new in January 2000. It was triple white and an Indy Brickyard Parade car, it had 5.7 engine, auto, I drove it for 65k miles and had a couple small repairs and only drove on nice days. It was very quick for its day and so much fun to drive. Longest I ever kept a car, I had it for about 13 years. Lots of great memories.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here in nova Scotia there's almost none left. They rotted so bad there's not parts left in junkyards.
Strange... Mine has 0 rust on it. Not one little spot. It still looks about as good as the attached picture although the clear coat is starting to show signs of giving up.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Easily my 2011 Cruze. Bought new and had it for 4.5 years almost without issue. Had the trunk release button pack it in once. Just routine maintenance and a bunch of no cost recall work that had no discernible effects pre/post fix. All the other cars I've previously driven were older used cars, so they were in various states of disrepair or neglect by the time I got my hands on them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
****! This is a very hard one to choose from!! I REALLY miss my 53 Olds Super88 and my 78 Malibu!! I can't pick over the two! On one hand, I had my 53 Olds which was my hotrod....THEN my 78 Bu, which I slaved over - did that car from the bottom up all the way to painting it myself - EVERYTHING!!! I can't choose...but miss both equally!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.