Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a couple posts of people claiming to attempt to engine swap with a 2.0t verano but what were was stopping them from finishing?

I would assume we would also have to swap that transmission, but could the Cruze pcm be flashed to work with the Buick engine.

If someone had a salvaged verano with an engine, tranny, pcm and assume electronics could be taken care of, what would be some of the obstacles to get it to work? Would our brakes and suspension have to be upgraded too?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
What ever happened to OnlyTaurus? I believe he was trying something like this, and was a GM technician. I know there were a lot of wire harnesses, computers and hardware that were required. Almost like you'd need an entire donor car.

At that point why not just rebuild the Buick body..

There's been a few people on this forum, that have access to all GM resources that have thought about trying this. The idea that they never completed it, show's it's probably a lot more time and money then what it's worth.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
EPA for one, should pay to have it emissions recertified, another is your insurance company if you don't tell them your car was modified, would no longer be liable for it.

Changing that cable harness is the worse part of this job, very first thing installed in production, really buried. And if that same cable harness also includes wires for the BCM and other dedicated Verano instruments and the radio, would be a real nightmare.

Could get a time machine and go back to the 50's, engine swapping was a blast with only about a half a dozen wires to be concerned about, was perfectly legal, and insurance companies didn't care.

With these new crushable unbodies, the single largest throwaway part on these cars, even with some fender benders. Just look at all the wreckers on ebay trying to sell used parts, just not worth repairing.

Throwaway is the key word today.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
The 1.6T in Australia has the same stud pattern and brakes as the diesel, so I think if anybody did the engine swap bigger brakes would be wise, especially on a rear drum model.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please bare with my ignorance, but why would the whole loom have to be swapped? What engine specific electrical components does the verano engine have which wouldn't have a spot on the cruze's loom?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,807 Posts
I saw a couple posts of people claiming to attempt to engine swap with a 2.0t verano but what were was stopping them from finishing?
If I were to guess? Money. Time.

I've thought about trying to shove the FWD 5.3L in my Cobalt before, more than once. And money/time is always what stops me, haha.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Please bare with my ignorance, but why would the whole loom have to be swapped? What engine specific electrical components does the verano engine have which wouldn't have a spot on the cruze's loom?
Its crazy, one a study each automotive manufacturer has over 100 different ECM per year, with yearly changes due to constantly changing EPA requirements, each has its own wiring harness and code. 1992 DeVille was one of the last complete composite drawings I could get for the entire electrical/electronic wiring system. On one sheet of paper 2 feet high by 8 feet wide. Print was so small, could barely read it.

Won't even find this in newer shop manuals, bits and pieces of circuit diagram scattered all over 3000 pages of manual.

Lets look at just one component for the Cruze and the Verano, the variable camshaft timing solenoid.

This if for the Cruze:

And this is for the Verano:

NNot only different, each is programmed differently with different engine locations, and this is only one of many, guaranteed tto drive you insane.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its crazy, one a study each automotive manufacturer has over 100 different ECM per year, with yearly changes due to constantly changing EPA requirements, each has its own wiring harness and code. 1992 DeVille was one of the last complete composite drawings I could get for the entire electrical/electronic wiring system. On one sheet of paper 2 feet high by 8 feet wide. Print was so small, could barely read it.

Won't even find this in newer shop manuals, bits and pieces of circuit diagram scattered all over 3000 pages of manual.

Lets look at just one component for the Cruze and the Verano, the variable camshaft timing solenoid.

This if for the Cruze:

And this is for the Verano:

NNot only different, each is programmed differently with different engine locations, and this is only one of many, guaranteed tto drive you insane.

That's is crazy! Wouldn't have even thought of that. There is no doubt more labor would be involved than what's it worth, but one would probably learn a great deal doing it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Some things you will learn are:

Not the land of the free anymore and the home of over 1,500 government agencies that tell us what we can and cannot do, mostly cannot.

When you modify a vehicle and call your insurance company may find out your yearly premiums are only a few dollars more than than the amount of coverage they are giving you.

May learn there are over a million different connector configurations, its a lot easier to find a mate for yourself than trying to find a mate for one of you connectors.

Let me take you back to the 50's/60's when it was legal and insurance companies didn't care. Could by a clean say 48 Chevy coupe for around 50 bucks, no such thing as rust back then use to add nickel to the steel. Any wrecking yard would sell you a 57 Chevy 283 engine for 65 bucks, complete, you pulled it out yourself, Warshawsky would sell you an adapter plate and bolt on engine mounts for around 10-15 bucks. Manual transmission could handle this, today, made out of paper.

Ford was a bit better, used a torque tube for the rear differential, Chevy, had to add a couple of bolt on torque tubes so your rear different on leaf springs wouldn't twist. One fuel line to hook up to the engine, ha, even had a double flaring tool kit back then, still have it.

Headers were cheap, and with a frame, plenty of space to add dual exhaust, some used straight pipes, but depending upon where you lived was better to add a couple of glass mufflers for around five bucks a piece.

To get the thing running, just two wires, one for the ignition the other for the starter solenoid, push button on the dash, and whenever you pushed that button, starter would engage. But then we had brains not to push on it when the engine was running, no more brains left today.

Instrumentation, fuel gauge remained the same, speedometer had a cable to the transmission, didn't worry too much about the clutch, could replace that in about an hour for six bucks. Oil pressure gauge was a real oil pressure gauge, bit more tubing to fool with, ammeter was in series with the battery vehicle power cable, only the starter had a big fat wire. Not connectors, just ring terminals, some just wrapped the bare end of the wire around the terminal, sloppy. Having a mental block right now on the temperature gauge, but wasn't a problem to hook that up either.

A lot has changed since then, major motivation for us poor kids doing this is so we could leave spoiled brat rich kids in the dust, and that we did, but really don't know how to deal with the spoiled brat rich kids running out country today.

Ham about 20 years ago, one of my boys wanted a father and son project to build a kit car, I called over a dozen insurance companies back them, most of them wouldn't even provide coverage, others wanted more for premiums than the coverage. See a lot of this stuff on TV today, never talk about insurance, and for most states, is the law.

Back then, no radar, if you saw a cop and you could see them, would have to pull behind and clock you, if you were too stupid to slow down, you deserved that ticket. Today can go under an underpass and get a ticket in the mail. Also have spy boxes in our cars, can't lie about what caused an accident, the truth is in that box.

One key reason why I refuse to buy a vehicle without cruise control, carry a thermos full of coffee and constantly slap my face to stay awake. By the year 2000 we will be all driving at 300 mph, try more like 10 mph, many sections of our town are this way, wow, I can go 25 mph in some places! And 55 dang sure means 55, even got a ticket once for going 58. Was told the law is like a plate of glass, once broken, its broken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts