Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 cruze LS 30k miles. a few days ago i started to smell something like burning oil / something hot. crawled underneath and found this covered in oil. no doubt this is what im smelling. its coming through the vents and very strong when you are outside looking at the car or have the windows down. i checked the oil pan / plug and no oil can be found around that area, no signs of leaking and no spots on my driveway.

id appreciate any help you guys can offer.....

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the quick reply. I really appreciate it. I hope it burns off soon, smells horrible!

first time this has happened. im relieved its nothing serious. I was fearing the worst...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thats a plastic bag, blown off the road and melted to your catalytic converter.

Stinks like.....that.....burning plastic, not oil.

Anyways, after a few highway trips it'll burn off to point it becomes oderless.....no worries.

Rob
I would agree ^ this happen to me a few time following a garbage truck in other cars

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
2011 cruze LS 30k miles. a few days ago i started to smell something like burning oil / something hot. crawled underneath and found this covered in oil. no doubt this is what im smelling. its coming through the vents and very strong when you are outside looking at the car or have the windows down. i checked the oil pan / plug and no oil can be found around that area, no signs of leaking and no spots on my driveway.

Seen a car in front of me run over a plastic bag, and it magically disappeared! Followed shortly by the smell of burning plastic.

On the bright side, your car is in good shape!

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
It could have been worse. A couple of years ago, I hit a deer carcase lying in the middle of a dark road with the P5. It was a fresh one and within a minute or so, the car smelled like deer BBQ. The next day, I ran it through a car wash with underbody wash (twice). Took it home and jacked it up to find deer detris stuck to every protrusion on the underside from the front suspension all the way back to the rear bumper frame. The thing stunk for a week. Two years later, I still found deer hair stuck to some things when I changed oil again.

·
Registered
574 Posts
It could have been worse. A couple of years ago, I hit a deer carcase lying in the middle of a dark road with the P5. It was a fresh one and within a minute or so, the car smelled like deer BBQ. The next day, I ran it through a car wash with underbody wash (twice). Took it home and jacked it up to find deer detris stuck to every protrusion on the underside from the front suspension all the way back to the rear bumper frame. The thing stunk for a week. Two years later, I still found deer hair stuck to some things when I changed oil again.
I like this story ^ LMAO

·
Banned
10,296 Posts

Top is stock, lower is an illegal modification.

Catalytic converter, required by law since 1972, an after the fact emission control device that gets red hot to burn HC's and CO. Not much as changed over the last 43 years, 70% of your fuel buck is going out through this pipe, another 15% to heat up the radiator, with the remaining 15% to get you wherever you want to go.

If one catalytic converter is good, two would have to be better, right? Front one is a per-catalytic converter. The more misfires you have, the hotter it will get, enough misfires, will burn up both of them restricting your exhaust gas flow. $$$$$$.

One reason why I still clean my spark plugs every 15K miles or so, don't like wasting my hard earn money replacing a cat. Also toss in a can of Seafoam in the gas tank about every 5-6K miles, problem is burning carbon in the engine, and if you don't burn it their, the cat has to.

If you think burning a plastic bag was bad, what about starting a grass or a forest fire? For awhile, had to add heat shields for addition protection, so what happened to the heat shields?

Only reason I can think of, its not logic, but politics. A good solvent and steel wool will help you clean up this mess. Ha, wonder if comprehensive covers this? Never checked. Sure don't want to sand blast it, won't last very long.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

Hello JcT21,

We're truly sorry to learn you're having concerns with your 2011 Cruze. Have you made your servicing dealership aware of this issue? We'd be more than happy to assist by contacting the dealership on your behalf for further assistance. Feel free to send your VIN, mileage, full contact information and the name of the dealership you prefer to work with in a private message.

All the best,

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
A good way to diminish the credibility of the program.....I was rather dissapointed as well when I read it last night.

Almost a 'Canned Computer' response........I hope C.C.C. reads the entire thread.

Somthing along the lines of "Sorry you had the experience, glad it wasn't a product problem requiring a service visit" would've been more appropriate.

I'm going to assume those folks are expected to hit a certain target......number of responses if you will, that may not allow enouph time to read full threads.

I'll leave it at that,

Rob

·
Administrator
25,040 Posts
When I saw the CCC had responded I was hoping more along the lines of "let us know if your dealer is unable to scrape the melted plastic off." This is obviously not a technical issue with the car but it does require getting under the car to clean and most people simply don't have access to a lift or below drive work area.

·
5,722 Posts
Hi JcT21,

Very sorry for any miscommunication with this originally! That's definitely not good, and we want to be of the best assistance possible! Feel free to let us know if you need and extra layer into the dealer so they can get this cleaned up for you.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Administrator
25,040 Posts
Patsy, we all goof occasionally. :) Looks like you have some new help.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,414 Posts

·
5,722 Posts
Patsy, we all goof occasionally. :) Looks like you have some new help.
Oh of course you all do! No surprise to me. Jasmine is a new member to our team so be nice everyone! haha :)

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 19 of 19 Posts