Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Total noob here but I have literally been researching this for 2 days and cannot, for the life of me, figure it out...
It's all kind of a long story so please bare with me. I feel like it was all a learning experience and that it might help someone else down the road (no pun attended).

First of all, I own a 2014 Cruze with manual transmission. I bought it brand new and usually get my oil change and maintenance at the dealership. Yesterday, before leaving for vacation, we got an oil change at a popular quick lube shop due to the dealership not having any openings before we were leaving.

We started our 666 mile trip (no joke. Our home to destination... Bad sign from the beginning). Several hours into the trip, we got a "low oil pressure" warning. We pulled off, opened the hood, and saw oil sprayed everywhere (hence all the oil in the pictures). Dipstick was bone dry. We were literally in the middle of nowhere plus it was raining and like midnight so we opted to fill it back up and get back on the road, hoping to get closer to civilization.
Of course we got an hour farther and we're once again forced to pull over and refill with oil. We managed to get to a large town and checked into a hotel for the night.

The next morning I started looking under the hood and attempting to figure out where the oil was coming from. I touched a bunch of things looking for something loose or misplaced or broken. While doing this, I accidentally hit the piece in the picture and it seemed to like click into place. I thought, "huh... Weird. Maybe that was the problem..." I didn't find anything else obvious so we filled it back up and drove to the same chain of oil change places, hoping they would troubleshoot and not charge us.

In the end, the original location had failed to either change the gasket to the oil filter or just installed it incorrectly as it was broken in half, thus causing our problem. They changed the gasket, replaced the filter again, and refilled the oil.... For free. So back on the road we go....

For about 3 minutes. Before we got back to the interstate, we noticed that suddenly we were unable to put the car into 5th or 6th gear. We pulled into a parking lot and soon discovered it wouldn't go into reverse either. This was a totally new issue and it had shifted fine the day before.

Finally, I had my boyfriend sit in the car and shift while I watched under the hood, once again looking for clues. I noticed a piece moving around right above the black knob in the pictures and immediately thought "uh oh". I pulled the piece back a little and it once again clicked into place. And boom. Everything worked. Shifted into every gear, no problem.

What on earth is this piece? Why is it there? Does it serve a specific purpose? I feel like if I accidentally bumped it, someone else could and have no idea, especially if they were trying to get to the oil filter. It definitely seems transmission/clutch related but I have searched diagrams all day with no answers. Please help!

Attachments

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I feel like I remember seeing a post recently showing this part. If I remember correctly, that part has something to do with aligning the manual trans shifter cables. I'm pretty sure I saw this when another member was having some issue, and the fix was to pull on that black tab to realign the shifter or something. I have a terrible memory and I am probably getting a ton a details wrong. I will try to find that thread.

Edit: I found the thread and the link that I was talking about. Here's the information.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/6205/difficul...get-into-gear-2012-2016-chevrolet-cruze-sonic

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
That little black piece the arrow is pointing to, looks like it's attached to the slave cylinder for the clutch. (It ALMOST looks like a piece of plastic you'd find on a toy, that should have been removed at some point) The included link above from Chevrasaki illustrates your problem perfectly. So, you probably pulled on the blocking pin to the point that it "clicked" into position. Also looks like it could easily be jolted out of position too unfortunately ... like during an oil change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts