Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2014 Cruze 1LT, stick shift with 54,000 miles. I'm curious what others 2014 Cruze's (roughly what mileage?) the clutch burned out. Quick backstory - I bought my car 100% brand new. The clutch burned out right after driving 2 blocks. The dealership replaced it (no cost because I hadn't bought the car yet). After it was fixed at the Chevy dealership, I went back signed the papers & drove away. The clutch blew (10 miles on the car then) literally LESS than 1 mile away! They fixed it again at no charge. Went back again in Feb. 2014 & no clutch issues still, at 54,000 miles.
So, I'm curious when others clutches burned out?

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The life of the clutch depends completely on how you drive it. Generally you should get at least 100K miles out of a clutch. If you abuse the crap out of it or you ride the clutch a lot, you may have to replace it early around 40K. If you're super gentle and all of your miles are on the highway where you never shift, it should last 250K miles. It all depends.

There is however NO reason it should wear out in 10 miles or less. That's ridiculous. Either there's a mechanical issue, or a driver issue. If the driver was the cause for burning the clutch out, they would probably have suffocated on clutch smoke. That leads me to believe it isn't wearing out, but it's actually breaking/shattering. That indices a larger problem. Keep in mind this is all speculation based on very limited information.

Since you haven't had any issues in 50K miles I imagine whatever issue was causing the premature death of your first two clutches was finally solved. You'll know when the clutch is going when you're in gear, and request a lot of torque. You'll see the RPMs "Slip". That means the RPMs will rise, but the speed won't change since the power isn't being 100% transferred due to the slip. A clutch that has been burned ALL the way out, you won't even be able to move the car when it's in gear.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Clutch life depends 100% on how you drive. I was still on my original clutch at 106,000 when my Cruze was totaled (hail). It sounds to me like your Cruze had a faulty clutch and then the first replacement wasn't installed correctly. Actually chances are that both weren't installed correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@ chevrasaki

Just to confirm I'm understanding you correctly, when you say torque, do you mean when I'm in a gear & the car literally feels like it’s dragging? My car has done that but after an oil leak/bursting & car smoking about 10,000 miles ago, there is better pick up for sure. However, my car has always been quite slow & sometimes feels like I’m towing something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@ obermd

I definitely do not ride the clutch or gun it...ever. Literally I've only really "stepped on it" maybe 10 times since I bought the car brand new. What year was your Cruze?

·
2,170 Posts
Just to confirm I'm understanding you correctly, when you say torque, do you mean when I'm in a gear & the car literally feels like it’s dragging? My car has done that but after an oil leak/bursting & car smoking about 10,000 miles ago, there is better pick up for sure. However, my car has always been quite slow & sometimes feels like I’m towing something.

I definitely do not ride the clutch or gun it...ever. Literally I've only really "stepped on it" maybe 10 times since I bought the car brand new. What year was your Cruze?

The torque request I am referring to is as you described "stepping on it" when you're in gear and the clutch is all the way up/out and engaged. If you "step on it" while in gear and your RPMs rise up but the speed does not rise with the RPM like it should, the clutch is slipping.

What is this oil "leak/bursting" you mentioned? That also doesn't sound normal for 54K miles. What other issues with the car have you had? Also what octane fuel are you using? (87, 89, 93, etc)

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
@ obermd

2012 ECO. Based on your description of the first two failures I'd say there was a problem from the factory. The first time the tech just replaced the clutch thinking a faulty part. The second time the tech spent some more time to track down the failure cause and fixed that along with replacing the clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ chevrasaki

To be specific, I’ve had MANY recalls on my car in the past 2.5 years, since buying it with 10 miles on it brand new.

Below is a list of most of them:

1) CAMSHAFT COVER
2) FRONT AXLE RIGHT HALF SHAFT
3) INTAKE MANIFOLD REPLACEMENT
4) PURGE SOLENOID VALVE
5) TURBO FEED LINE
6) VALVE COVER AND MANIFOLD
7) VENT VALVE SOLENOID

As for the oil bursting out & literally shooting throughout my car, I heard a weird noise, then smelled something funny (around 45K miles or so) & then after driving a total of 25 miles or so, my hood started smoking & I called a tow directly to the dealership. Apparently the oil shot out (under my hood was covered in oil) & the dealership said oil literally shot all throughout underneath my car.
As for gas, regular - not sure if 87? Only use Mobil, BP or Shell. No cheap gas ever.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
@ chevrasaki

To be specific, I’ve had MANY recalls on my car in the past 2.5 years, since buying it with 10 miles on it brand new.

Below is a list of most of them:

1) CAMSHAFT COVER
2) FRONT AXLE RIGHT HALF SHAFT
3) INTAKE MANIFOLD REPLACEMENT
4) PURGE SOLENOID VALVE
5) TURBO FEED LINE
6) VALVE COVER AND MANIFOLD
7) VENT VALVE SOLENOID

As for the oil bursting out & literally shooting throughout my car, I heard a weird noise, then smelled something funny (around 45K miles or so) & then after driving a total of 25 miles or so, my hood started smoking & I called a tow directly to the dealership. Apparently the oil shot out (under my hood was covered in oil) & the dealership said oil literally shot all throughout underneath my car.
As for gas, regular - not sure if 87? Only use Mobil, BP or Shell. No cheap gas ever.
Gas octane won't impact the issues you've had. What was the cause of that oil leak?

·
2,170 Posts
@ chevrasaki

I should have been more clear, the type of fuel would not have caused the oil problem. I only mentioned it because of the highlighted statement above. The car has knock sensors and lower octane fuel may cause knock. The computer responds by retarding the timing to protect the engine. The side effect is less response from the engine, less peak power, and lower fuel economy.

If everything was repaired properly, and you're easy on the clutch, you shouldn't have to worry about a replacement for at least another 30K miles.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Is there a poll page somewhere for clutch replacement? Due to wear not grenading or shatteringlike the first 2 the OP had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts