Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't believe it. Doesn't General Motors still own AC? With 50,000 miles on the odometer, I was curious on how the plugs look. After watching a couple how-to videos on removing them, I proceeded. Being a guy who tries to buy American as much as possible, I was shocked and disappointed what I found. NGKs with 'Japan' stamped on them. I immediately hitched a ride to the auto parts store. They didn't have ACs so I got Champions. I feel much better now.
Someone at Chevrolet needs a spanking.

·
10,713 Posts
I couldn't believe it. Doesn't General Motors still own AC? With 50,000 miles on the odometer, I was curious on how the plugs look. After watching a couple how-to videos on removing them, I proceeded. Being a guy who tries to buy American as much as possible, I was shocked and disappointed what I found. NGKs with 'Japan' stamped on them. I immediately hitched a ride to the auto parts store. They didn't have ACs so I got Champions. I feel much better now.
Someone at Chevrolet needs a spanking.
I wouldn't look to far into it if I were you, this is a worldwide car and you will be on a long mission to make it a 100% American car. I would name a few parts but I don't want to take an OCD trip myself. I'm still shocked at how much Republic of Germany T20 bolts cost when you lose one of them.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Japanese corporations are even worse than the US, only about 10% of the workforce have permanent jobs. And not made in Japan any more, can find cheaper labor elsewhere. Even China.

Put on 50K miles on your Cruze and are first looking at your spark plugs? Replaced mine on day two, cleaned at 15K and 30K, and just put in new ones at 45K. Still burning carbon, builds up on that center electrode insulator that shorts out part of the spark.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Let us know how the Champion plugs work in your Cruze. We're always looking for a better plug.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,208 Posts
Something like 40-45% of the car is foreign content FYI.

If you bought a manual, your transmission is built in Austria. If you bought a 2011, so is your engine.

Most of the design for the Cruze actually originated from Korea.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Something like 40-45% of the car is foreign content FYI.

If you bought a manual, your transmission is built in Austria. If you bought a 2011, so is your engine.

Most of the design for the Cruze actually originated from Korea.
Claim that vehicle components totaled a half million miles before they were slapped together to make a brand new vehicle. Its no wonder we have an energy crisis.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Then consider that some of the local content is a result of some interesting policy interpretations. There are a few very large North American company's, that fabricate components offshore and assemble in NA, and call it "Made in Canada, USA, or Mexico"

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Then consider that some of the local content is a result of some interesting policy interpretations. There are a few very large North American company's, that fabricate components offshore and assemble in NA, and call it "Made in Canada, USA, or Mexico"
Ha, can buy a spark plug with either a fixed top electrode or one that screws on. When they are screwed on in the US, made in the USA.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
while i like made in America and try at every point to do so.... why the heck does where your spark plug really matter? i only use bosch or ngk in general with exception of my turbo z that only likes cheap coppers. you'd be surprised how much of all"made in America" stuff has a part from else where

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Note to the OP. The first gen. Cruze domestic content has varied from 44% to 60% over the years. Start crawling around your car. You'll find a lot of other things on it from other parts of the world. Here's a place to start looking. What do the labels on your windshield and windows say? Fuyao?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,208 Posts
A few years ago, dunno if it's still true, the Toyota Camry was the most "American" car with the most domestic content.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
A few years ago, dunno if it's still true, the Toyota Camry was the most "American" car with the most domestic content.
For 2106, it's the Enclave, Traverse, Acadia, & Accord at 80%. The Cruze is at 60%, both first and second gens.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts