Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The owners manual says to use top tier detergent gas. I feel that all turbo and supercharged engines should run 91+ octane because boost requires a tighter gap spark plug. Nobody wants LSPI ever and especially on a boosted engine! If you trade in your car every 3 years then it don’t matter but if you don’t want holes on pistons and other things related to octane then run the highest possible.

·
Super Moderator
4,932 Posts
I have been running 89 in mine with good results. Gas is somewhat affordable now, although I would not consider my Cruze a performance car, even though she is a turbo.
+1 on this I run 89. My son likes(or at least notices the performance difference) 93 in #3(2014 LT) I have been good with 89 with mine #4 + #5 2013 and 2015 LTs. 93 has never been all that much better for my taste or I don't use more than 1 tank. So 89 octane is my vote.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I live 5 minutes away from a Costco (Top Tier gasoline) which sells 93 octane for the same price that most other stations sell their mid-grade 89 octane, so I run the 93 there. Since it's warm/hot 9 months out of the year, I find I get a little better mileage from the higher octane as well as running smoother. Now if I could just get out of doing short errand drives everywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m glad I joined these forums and been reading about using higher octane. I have a 2018 Cruze LT automatic. Got it in November. It always seemed a bit sluggish to me and would hesitate at times. Me knowing nothing I always used 87 octane since that what it calls for in the user manual. So I decided to give 93 a try since the gas station I use carries it. I can honestly say, what a difference! Car is no longer sluggish and doesn’t hesitate anymore. Wish I had found these forums when I first got the car. My car is very happy now. :yahoo:

·
Registered
17 Posts
So this was my first 500mile tank, and it happened after i had put in some 90/0E octane, a bit over 4 gallons into a half tank of gas.... and then at just under a 1/4 tank of gas I filled up with some 93octane...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
There's a Sunoco across the street from my work so I've run 93 in it since I got it. I think I might have put 91 in a few times when I have been traveling but it's pretty cheap insurance is the way I see it.

Also I don't know if this is the case everywhere but at my Sunoco, the 93 is usually the same price or possibly a couple cents more per gallon than the 91 so why not?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run 87 octane (top tier) gas, and my 2015 1.4L runs just fine. I tried running some 93, I saw no difference in how it ran or in mpg. But I usually drive pretty slow, and it doesn't often get really hot here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A higher octane fuel will not automatically cause your car to run better/stronger unless it is designed to take advantage of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG S7

101 - 111 of 111 Posts
About this Discussion
110 Replies
45 Participants
ma7mgte
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing