Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sorry this must of been asked a billion times but I can't get the search thing to work. Im not buying oem pads they want $250 for a set here.....WHAT!? what are OEM made of anyway ceramic metallic or organic?

This comes to my next point I've talked to a dozen people and conflicting crap every where!!! I drove 90% of my driving on the highway every single day for work. What pads would be best for me? I want long lasting but I also don't want to spend a million dollars. Also ceramics say they are louder...im not sure what that means as the pads on now on my 2012 Cruze are completely silent... Maybe it's the $250 part of it? But I doubt it. I looked up to try and listen to what ceramics would sound like and all I got was videos of horrible screeching noises Everytime the brakes are applied.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Which type of brake pad for me?

Im sorry this must of been asked a billion times but I can't get the search thing to work. Im not buying oem pads they want $250 for a set here.....WHAT!? what are OEM made of anyway ceramic metallic or organic?

This comes to my next point I've talked to a dozen people and conflicting crap every where!!! I drove 90% of my driving on the highway every single day for work. What pads would be best for me? I want long lasting but I also don't want to spend a million dollars. Also ceramics say they are louder...im not sure what that means as the pads on now on my 2012 Cruze are completely silent... Maybe it's the $250 part of it? But I doubt it. I looked up to try and listen to what ceramics would sound like and all I got was videos of horrible screeching noises Everytime the brakes are applied.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hmm, you may get a lot of differing opinions about that. However, I also do 90% highway driving and I am happy with my recent install of Wagner Thermo-quiet semi metallic pads. I expect them to fall apart before I wear them out :)
Funny side note--my rear shoes are the original shoes and I'm at 115,000 miles :eek:

Edit: oh, and as far as the ceramics, personally I don't think they stop any better than my semi metallic. Also, very little dust with the Wagners by the way. Then again, I don't brake much! (highway driving)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmm, you may get a lot of differing opinions about that. However, I also do 90% highway driving and I am happy with my recent install of Wagner Thermo-quiet semi metallic pads. I expect them to fall apart before I wear them out

Funny side note--my rear shoes are the original shoes and I'm at 115,000 miles

Edit: oh, and as far as the ceramics, personally I don't think they stop any better than my semi metallic. Also, very little dust with the Wagners by the way. Then again, I don't brake much! (highway driving)
Yeah im at 219,000km and my rear pads have 9mm left on them lol (factory original)

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Semi-metallic has better bite than ceramic pads, and won't wear out your rotors as quickly as ceramics will. You don't need expensive ones but I wouldn't get the absolute cheapest set either.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
I would suggest EBC Greenstuff semi-metallic for grippier braking or plain Jane Duralast ceramics for long lasting pads. I also suggest Centrex high carbon rotors.

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
I agree with Blasirl. The Duralasts are good pads or what I have been using at least on my 2012 Eco were pads from ORielly. About $50. They were Ceramics and stopped well.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts

Thanks for the help
A Billion and one. You started this same thread in the Wheel Tire & Brake section where it belongs. Now we are in the general appearance section?

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
A Billion and one. You started this same thread in the Wheel Tire & Brake section where it belongs. Now we are in the general appearance section?
But it is in the Gen1 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension section - at least on my computer...

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
But it is in the Gen1 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension section - at least on my computer...
It has been relocated, now post 1 & 2 . Good work and by the way the CT Search box, powered by Google seems to work better than you would expect!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Thanks for the help
I originally posted in the wrong forum then I fixed it. Don't know wtf is wrong with your computer. Also no need to be an ass the search function does not work on my mobile phone and I don't have a computer.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I would suggest EBC Greenstuff semi-metallic for grippier braking or plain Jane Duralast ceramics for long lasting pads. I also suggest Centrex high carbon rotors.
I currently have the EBC green stuff pads on the Cruze and always ran them on the Sunfire, they are organic. I agree on the grippier feel as that was the reasoning for running them.

I tend to suggest ceramic pads for city driving and organic for highway. Semi metallic and metallic are too hard for my liking.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your a car enthusiast or expert you should be used to the same questions being asked. It happens for every single item someone is an expert at. I get asked the same questions over and over and over again and I am happy to give responses to people based on the knowledge I know about my work, forums should not be any different yet every forum there is someone that will cry "Google it". Forums are for friendly INDIVIDUALIZED discussion to assure people of their questions.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions above. Very thankful for your help :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow those are some heavy duty looking rotors. Out of my price range though. With where I live I deal with a TON of road salt in the winter and they mess up rotors pretty quick. These may last longer im assuming but usually up here they say change your rotors with every brake job... I still am going to get something better than what the mechanic put in last time because I don't like how bad they look right now.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Your a car enthusiast or expert you should be used to the same questions being asked. It happens for every single item someone is an expert at. I get asked the same questions over and over and over again and I am happy to give responses to people based on the knowledge I know about my work, forums should not be any different yet every forum there is someone that will cry "Google it". Forums are for friendly INDIVIDUALIZED discussion to assure people of their questions.
When you post the same question in three different locations you clutter up the board. May you find the Pad you seek with no further links to 1500+ 2012 CruzeTalk owners who wanted to share their pads knowledge with you.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen: It looks like the OP has been given some options for his consideration and offered strategies to find others should he wish to explore them. As a result I will close this thread to prevent the development of any further hard feelings among our valued membership.

In the meantime should you wish to offer anything further to the OP in response to his query kindly do so via PM.

Reactions: Eddy Cruze
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.