Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruzing with my wife...haha I can't stop saying cruzing...don't think that will ever get old :D

Anyways we got to talking and we were wondering at what speed the shutters close. I bet if you were to go like 1 or 2mph faster then that speed that would be the sweet spot for the best fuel milage.

We also felt like GM should have put a light or some sort of a signal on the dash to inform you when the shutters had closed...that would have been a really nice touch.

so any of you inventors out there want to design a light that tells me when the shutters close my wife will let me buy it :D

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
That’s not to say that the engine does not require air – the powerplant still needs to be fed air to operate properly (and to cool off), especially when the vehicle is operating at lower speeds. Therefore, the grille louvers in question will remain open to let the breeze in. At higher (grater than 45 MPH) speeds, however, the increased air velocity means the grille louvers can close yet still allow enough air into the engine bay without hindering performance.
Grille Louvre To Boost Fuel Economy Of GM’s Full Size Trucks | GM Authority

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wonder how strong this system is. When it's wet and cold or you wash the car in the winter, will the water freeze the shutters open and then the system try to operate and damage itself? And the thought of hitting a small animal on the highway makes me shutter!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I wonder how strong this system is. When it's wet and cold or you wash the car in the winter, will the water freeze the shutters open and then the system try to operate and damage itself? And the thought of hitting a small animal on the highway makes me shutter!
I took the bumper off this weekend to install the fog lights and i have to say the shutter system is pretty sturdy.

Its controlled by the ecu and i'm sure its smart enough to know if theres too much resistance (i.e. frozen with ice) to stop trying to close

·
Registered
277 Posts
There also must be an algorithm for it to open back up at something like 40 mph so that it doesn't just open/close/open/close when you are doing 44-46mph. :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Anyone have the pin outs on the ecm, where we could tap into with an led or something to turn on and off when the shutters are closed??

Or I guess we could tap into the wiring for the shutters at the bumper??

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I took the bumper off this weekend to install the fog lights and i have to say the shutter system is pretty sturdy.

Its controlled by the ecu and i'm sure its smart enough to know if theres too much resistance (i.e. frozen with ice) to stop trying to close
Is there any linkage from the shutter system connected to the bumper you need to be cautious of when removing the Eco bumper? My fog light kit should be here any day now...

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Is there any linkage from the shutter system connected to the bumper you need to be cautious of when removing the Eco bumper? My fog light kit should be here any day now...
The shutter system is firmly mounted to the bumper. When you take the bumper off you have to disconnect the side marker lights the external temp sensor (drivers side fog plug) and the wire that plugs into the louver.

I'll be posting some pictures i took tonight of the install with some tips on installing the fog lights in a new thread.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not sure the open/close is based soley on speed, I think that engine temp must have something to do with it. I was kicking the tires with a friend and showing him all the cool features (making him jealous) and the shutters were in the closed position. So, if is only based on speed, they would have opened back up when I got into his neighborhood and parked in his driveway.

Does anyone have a service manual or tech specs?

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I thought I read the closing speed was 40MPH.

Also, I'm sure there is more to it than just one speed. If engine temps rise I'm sure the shutters open, and I'm sure that the second you slow down past 40MPH they don't open up again, it must be like a "min-max" kind of thing where they close at 40MPH and don't open again until you're below 30MPH or the engine temps start to rise... or something to that effect.

Car companies tend to "dumb-down" their technical press release information for the general public who are not technical people. This sucks for the techies as it leaves us asking questions that are difficult to get ACCURATE answers to.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought I read the closing speed was 40MPH.

Also, I'm sure there is more to it than just one speed. If engine temps rise I'm sure the shutters open, and I'm sure that the second you slow down past 40MPH they don't open up again, it must be like a "min-max" kind of thing where they close at 40MPH and don't open again until you're below 30MPH or the engine temps start to rise... or something to that effect.

Car companies tend to "dumb-down" their technical press release information for the general public who are not technical people. This sucks for the techies as it leaves us asking questions that are difficult to get ACCURATE answers to.
This is why I think the indicator light would be so beneficial, we could visually see when they open close :D

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...how about a simple "shutter" icon on the dash?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You know i was wishing it had that.

Hmm i wonder if i can find the variable that controls it and make it display on my scangauge.

HMMMMM
Sounds like a plan! You do all the hard work and let us mooch off of you.;)

Let us know what you find out...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts