Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this general or political? So far the Chevy Cruze is not listed, but some odd 14 million other vehicles are. Just briefly heard this on the morning news. Our feds are talking about fining Takata 7,000 bucks per vehicle. This would certainly put them out of business, and should discourage any other manufacturer from making these bombs.

It was these same feds that demanded airbags be used and they certainly didn't provide any specifications. What, your kid was killed by an airbag? Toss them in the backseat was their solution. What you don't have room in your back seat, buy a gas guzzling vehicle that has one. Or just don't have kids, period. But by having a kid, do get a tax break of about 90 cents a day, what else do you want?

Still a supplemental device, just as many adults that were saved by not wearing their safety belts, kids and shorter people were killed. Has to be a better solution! One that won't be too popular would be teaching people how to drive. Another, you can't be fired for being a second late to your job when severe weather occurs.

Another is living in a society where everybody has to be at the same place at the same time. Idiot city planners built a new consolidated high school in town on a two lane road with only one way in and out. Just happen to live on the far east side of town, talk about a major traffic jam and very impatient people that have to drop their kids off first before rushing to work. Yet another at daycare centers with no place to park.

What a crazy world we live in.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I read that air bag production is 26% of Takata's revenue stream. The problem is that so many of these bags are unique to the vehicles they are installed in, so it's difficult (i.e. expensive) for the car manufacturers to switch vendors without long lead/development times. Encouraging news is that Takata also makes most of the seat belts used in our vehicles. The maximum fine the US Gubermint can levy a single manufacurer under the current law is $35 million dollars. Petty cash for a company like Takata.

·
10,712 Posts
Subaru: 17,516 total number of potentially affected vehicles
2003 – 2005 Baja
2003 – 2005 Legacy
2003 – 2005 Outback
2004 – 2005 Impreza
Guess I'll be looking for a 06 STi Airbag then when I swap wheels. No letters yet, for an airbag.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
So today, Takata refused to do the nationwide recall that NHTSA has requested, citing there is not enough evidence that their product is "that" dangerous to people. It would appear that the H O G has to intervene to get our government and politicos to act. Honda is supposedly volunteering to expand its air bag recall nationwide anyway, can't wait to see the new list. There appears to be a CAL forming against Takata. I just found this web page from October of this year. Note the two headlines at the top of the page dated November 30th and December 3rd:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2014/takata-air-bag-lawsuit.shtml

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Toyota and Honda have formed a consortium and are asking other manufacturers who use the Takata air bags to join. The stated purpose is to find out exactly what's wrong. Apparently Takata hasn't been forthcoming with the car manufacturers either.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a 1999 Honda Civic. It is not on the list, which starts with 2001 model year. Do I have a different manufacturer's airbag, or do they not mention 1999 because it is old???

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I have a 1999 Honda Civic. It is not on the list, which starts with 2001 model year. Do I have a different manufacturer's airbag, or do they not mention 1999 because it is old???
Not sure, but yes, the Civic air bag recalls do not include the ones prior to 2001. There are 14 recalls for the '99 Civic, but they are all for headlights and exterior lighting. There's one for the CNG Civics that the fuel tank could burst if an interior fire heated the tank unevenly, but with so few CNG Civics sold, I'd bet yours isn't one of those. Also, I don't think that RI is classified as one of the "high humidity" regions that Takata is claiming the problem is limited to. Stay tuned, as Honda is supposedly going to announce a nationwide airbag recall, so then we'll see if the model and year list grows.

1999 Honda Civic Recalls | CarComplaints.com

Reactions: LizzieCruze
1 - 8 of 8 Posts