Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

421 - 440 of 475 Posts

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Yea I'm not pulling any out until I retrieve my proper gapper (wire type) and can do it properly before I bend another electrode. lol. Bad thing is I have to wait for a spark plug for a few days but it's safe to drive the way it is.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't blame you. I love my wire gap guage with the nice tab to bend the anode, but I still use the solid disc guage to measure the final gap with.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Yes... I use mine for that too... :) Actually my wire gauge starts at the higher end at .040 ( I think ). Well over the cruzes specs anyway so I have to use the disc.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
2014 Cruze Eco 6MT

Passenger |0.025--0.025--0.025--0.025| Driver

My gap tool only goes down to 0.025 but the wire passed just through on all plugs, pretty consistent. All now gapped to 0.035" and the engine is smoother with more linear power delivery from 1-2k rpm. 6th gear now pulls nicer at ~ 38mph and can be used more often (ie, slower) now. Nothing earth shattering but glad I did it nonetheless, thanks to all who contributed info/advise on this fix.

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
I went through and updated the list for the last time. I think this is about as good as this list is going to look moving forward. The consistency is downright horrible. It shouldn't be this difficult to make spark plugs, but I won't get into this right now. Everyone should continue to check their spark plugs, especially for 2011 and 2012 Cruzes.

We have recorded a total of 170 Cruzes, 680 spark plugs, recording as low as 0.014 and as high as 0.030.

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #427

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
Has this been reported to GM?
Long time ago. There are a couple of other threads on this topic. They improved consistency significantly in vehicles produced in the second half of 2012.

·
Banned
188 Posts
July 2012 Ltz...All Plugs at .028 using a real feeler gauge....How do you know that the gap tools you guys are using are correct? You think those .99ct ones next to the register at pep boys are right? ya right...

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
July 2012 Ltz...All Plugs at .028 using a real feeler gauge....How do you know that the gap tools you guys are using are correct? You think those .99ct ones next to the register at pep boys are right? ya right...
My $4 Lisle gapper is accurate to within 0.001", verified with a set of real feeler gauges. My copy reads 0.001" higher than the actual gap:

Lisle 67870 Spark Plug Gauge Gap : Amazon.com : Automotive

I think it's pretty safe to assume that any brand name gauge is going to get you in the ballpark, and even using a cheap gauge is better than just tossing them in the way they came without checking them. Also, it's not critical to get your plug gaps perfect, they just need to be close. Within a couple thou of the target is good enough.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Manufacturing a consistently accurate gauge for a wire gapper tool isn't exactly rocket science.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just checked and re-gapped my 2014 LTZ. They were from left to right standing at the front of the car .024 .025 .024 .023. I put them all to .031. I also shoved a paper towel between the firewall and the bracket which holds 2 brake lines and 2 fuel lines to try and stop what sounds like an exhaust leak.

I drove a couple miles around town. Reminds me of the other Cruze I test drove. Mine has never been quite right since I've gotten it home but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. It was like a completely different car. I pulled the paper towel out when I got home, but I haven't driven it again yet. I don't know yet how much was the re-gapped plugs and how much was the paper towel, but I'm really happy either way.... If it was the paper towel, at least I've found the problem and can figure out a more permanent solution.

·
Administrator
25,266 Posts
If it's the paper towel you can take it in and have it fixed. If it was the spark plugs you've already fixed it. Either way you have a win.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just got back from picking up some pizzas. It ran great without the paper towel. I either bent the lines just enough that they don't rub anymore, or it was the spark plugs. Not exactly a properly executed scientific experiment, but I'm happy anyway.

421 - 440 of 475 Posts