Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in your mind what could GM have done differently to sell the Cruze and keep it around.

i think the 1.4T was a mistake by GM. loads of problems that even cavaliers didn’t have. I think a NA 2.0 would have solved a good deal of problems including lackluster performance.

I think not advertising a Cruze diesel during VW diesel gate was stupid on their parts.

Reactions: Mr_Pat

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
2,515 Posts
So in your mind what could GM have done differently to sell the Cruze and keep it around.

i think the 1.4T was a mistake by GM. loads of problems that even cavaliers didn’t have. I think a NA 2.0 would have solved a good deal of problems including lackluster performance.

I think not advertising a Cruze diesel during VW diesel gate was stupid on their parts.
It didn't sell well because it wasn't a crossover or SUV. Times are changing. A lot of people don't want to buy cars anymore.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Cruze
150 Posts
1.Second engine choice like the 1.5L
2.More upscale interior
3. More standard options like the other markets get that we don’t.
4.Advertise the car

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
2,603 Posts
It didn't sell well because it wasn't a crossover or SUV. Times are changing. A lot of people don't want to buy cars anymore.
Just like 2001 all over again.

·
Registered
543 Posts
They could have built better small cars before the Cruze. Even the first generation Cruze had lots of issues that were NEVER revised throughout the production. They are pretty easy and cheap to fix yourself, but very expensive to pay to have fixed. With gm going 100% electric in the near future and pushing a political agenda, my 16 ATS-V WILL BE the last gm I purchase.

·
Registered
646 Posts
They could have built better small cars before the Cruze. Even the first generation Cruze had lots of issues that were NEVER revised throughout the production. They are pretty easy and cheap to fix yourself, but very expensive to pay to have fixed. With gm going 100% electric in the near future and pushing a political agenda, my 16 ATS-V WILL BE the last gm I purchase.
No worries for "all electric" from GM, it won't last more than 2 years then they'll go back to hybrids and a gasoline. I don't see electric trucks making happy the actual truck drivers! Wait also for the first major wildfire or power outage when "all electric" will be useless so the new management will come with a "new idea" to have like 50-50 or 60-40 EV and other kind of vehicles. I work in the field and I can see the real issues but the politics that are driving the business. Sad but the politics are wining against any common sense. :(

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Ummm.

Electric is here to stay.
There's no future for the combustion engine.

As for the 1.4. There's nothing wrong with the early motor. The mistake was the thermostat.

Us second gens aren't having any problems.
Minus a few pistons.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
2,603 Posts
Definitely wrong about gas engines coming back, it's as good as gone already.

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,167 Posts
The Gen 1 was a sales hit for GM. It was one of their best selling vehicles, maligned 1.4T or not.

By the time the Gen 2 came around, gas prices were lower and the market had already begun shifting to SUVs and crossovers. Which is a shame, because it was a d*** good car, but GM options packages and pricing (before rebates - when comparing solely on MSRP) doomed its sales a bit I think. It also wasn't as unique-looking as the Gen 1, although it was a much more competent car otherwise.

A sportier powertrain might have sold a handful more to enthusiasts, but that would have been ~1% or less of the total sales. Much like the old V6/6MT Honda Accord or something.

·
Registered
543 Posts
No worries for "all electric" from GM, it won't last more than 2 years then they'll go back to hybrids and a gasoline. I don't see electric trucks making happy the actual truck drivers! Wait also for the first major wildfire or power outage when "all electric" will be useless so the new management will come with a "new idea" to have like 50-50 or 60-40 EV and other kind of vehicles. I work in the field and I can see the real issues but the politics that are driving the business. Sad but the politics are wining against any common sense. :(
When you said won't last, I thought you were talking about GM's (lack of) quality, and I agree lol. Lot's of expensive parts that can only be serviced by expensive gm tools. Sounds expensive to be on the road. It's really going to punish poorer people. Ultimately I can see people being forced into urban areas and force into public transportation or careshare. Unchecked this will change the model of freedom we are used to having. Also hate the one size fits all thinking. Living is North Dakota is not the same as living in southern CA. Rural livers in very cold climates may struggle with enough range to even go shopping and plenty of energy will be wasted just keeping batteries warm on -25F days. And all this even assumes the infastructure will be in place to support all electric transportation (it won't).

·
Registered
543 Posts
As for the 1.4. There's nothing wrong with the early motor. The mistake was the thermostat.

Us second gens aren't having any problems.
Minus a few pistons.
Plenty of common issues the the early 1.4L. Between my brother and I, we've had 6 first generation 1.4L Cruzes. Half have had water pumps before 100,000 miles. 5 out of the 6 have had other common cooling system issues. ALL 6 have had PCV/valve cover/lean code issues. For a DIY'er most of these issues aren't that expensive, but it gets expensive and upsetting when you are paying someone else to do the repairs.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The "all EV" is a dream. The cost of electricity will skyrocket when all the cars will use it (in theory). A poor family with 2 kids won't be able to get a cheap old car for them because these won;t be reliable. The cold weather is killing the performance of the batteries and also climbing long hills are killing the electric motors. I'd say the EV will coexist with hybrids and still gasoline for the next 20 years at least... My opinion! :)
Regarding the Cruze.. this car made me a good mechanic, hehehe!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed somewhat. Toyota Kia are proving sedans will sell if the owners perceive a value. With Ford and Chevy ceasing sedan sales they’ve handed them over to Asian manufacturers

Reactions: guuyuk

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1.Second engine choice like the 1.5L
2.More upscale interior
3. More standard options like the other markets get that we don’t.
4.Advertise the car
Not sure why GM made a 1.4 and a 1.5, seems redundant. The interior I felt was good, but the change I’d make is not combo of fun and sun BS sunroof to get the 9 speaker sound system. What features do you mean?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MT and 2.0T with 250 HP! :)
They did that with the Buick version if I recall. Sucks too because Buick crowd wouldn’t buy it, cobalt SS owners would.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Real People, Not Actors 😂
The Chevy Ads are abysmally boomer lol. “We switched from BMW to Chevy”. Yah because someone making M3 $$ wants to trade in for a Chevy lol. The houses they live in alone are way out of Chevy price range.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sefi is fire the lead engineer who approved the hot pile the 1.4T is. Yup electric is the future and I absolutely see it being my grand kids first car someday. When we build a house we will put the 240 points so if we need them they are ready

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Gen 1 was a sales hit for GM. It was one of their best selling vehicles, maligned 1.4T or not.

By the time the Gen 2 came around, gas prices were lower and the market had already begun shifting to SUVs and crossovers. Which is a shame, because it was a d*** good car, but GM options packages and pricing (before rebates - when comparing solely on MSRP) doomed its sales a bit I think. It also wasn't as unique-looking as the Gen 1, although it was a much more competent car otherwise.

A sportier powertrain might have sold a handful more to enthusiasts, but that would have been ~1% or less of the total sales. Much like the old V6/6MT Honda Accord or something.
Yah the gem 1 style was its own and easy to differentiate from the crowd. Gen 2 does look very rental car, nothing special unless it’s the top of the line.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts