Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Cruze
150 Posts
Not sure why GM made a 1.4 and a 1.5, seems redundant. The interior I felt was good, but the change I’d make is not combo of fun and sun BS sunroof to get the 9 speaker sound system. What features do you mean?
Small features like front parking sensors , color DIC , 8inch radio screen “which they took away” & adaptive lighting which the other market Cruzes get .

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Plenty of common issues the the early 1.4L. Between my brother and I, we've had 6 first generation 1.4L Cruzes. Half have had water pumps before 100,000 miles. 5 out of the 6 have had other common cooling system issues. ALL 6 have had PCV/valve cover/lean code issues. For a DIY'er most of these issues aren't that expensive, but it gets expensive and upsetting when you are paying someone else to do the repairs.
And how many of those problems would have been avoided with a cooler thermostat?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Small features like front parking sensors , color DIC , 8inch radio screen “which they took away” & adaptive lighting which the other market Cruzes get .
The motorcycle style DIC was a bit laughable even in 2015

Reactions: Chad20101

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,167 Posts
And how many of those problems would have been avoided with a cooler thermostat?
Some, but probably still wouldn't help all the freaking oil leaks from the crappy PCV system and coolant leaks from all the plastic junctions. Most of that is redesigned with metal on the Gen 2 where it matters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some, but probably still wouldn't help all the freaking oil leaks from the crappy PCV system and coolant leaks from all the plastic junctions. Most of that is redesigned with metal on the Gen 2 where it matters.
This is the answer. The body, ride, and amenities are good. But all the coolant and oil leaks nickel and and dime me to death, especially when I had an apartment and couldn't do anything more involved than filter changes in the parking lot. Failing water pumps, valve cover gaskets, oil coolers, head gaskets, etc. are things that shouldn't happen on a car with less than 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
One can't expect long life at 230*

Most motors start ruining heads.

There are 2 guys using 176 thermostats.
They're not having the usual issues.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
One can't expect long life at 230*

Most motors start ruining heads.

There are 2 guys using 176 thermostats.
They're not having the usual issues.
I get running hot since it’s efficient but obviously running 230 AND a plastic cooling system was a stupid idea.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I bought my Cruze, gas was $4/gal and with my commute it paid for itself. Cruzes were everywhere back then. It was the mileage and FALSE reliability reports that ruled my decision to purchase a Cruze. If I knew the reliability claims were BS, I would have gone with the Mazda.

I say they should have made improvements when the problems became so obvious.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It didn't sell well because it wasn't a crossover or SUV. Times are changing. A lot of people don't want to buy cars anymore.
Very true, but can we call them what they really are? They're not crossovers, and many aren't actually SUV's, they're just modern day mini vans

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ummm.

Electric is here to stay.
There's no future for the combustion engine.

As for the 1.4. There's nothing wrong with the early motor. The mistake was the thermostat.

Us second gens aren't having any problems.
Minus a few pistons.
Electric makes sense around the city or county. Once you start extending the trips and needing to recharge you will have unhappy people at the length of time involved. I keep hoping super capacitor research provides a fast recharge/adequate range option... but not holding my breath. I would buy an improved Hybrid I think.

I actually like the 1.4T. Superior gas mileage and my engine/transmission has been smooth through 4 years, going on 5. Never found myself in a situation where I lacked the power I needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So in your mind what could GM have done differently to sell the Cruze and keep it around.

i think the 1.4T was a mistake by GM. loads of problems that even cavaliers didn’t have. I think a NA 2.0 would have solved a good deal of problems including lackluster performance.

I think not advertising a Cruze diesel during VW diesel gate was stupid on their parts.
Should have better parts that are not made of plastic making the coolant system the number one problem with these cars, I have the 2015 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS and I had a lot of coolant problems but easy to fix problems.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Electric makes sense around the city or county. Once you start extending the trips and needing to recharge you will have unhappy people at the length of time involved. I keep hoping super capacitor research provides a fast recharge/adequate range option... but not holding my breath. I would buy an improved Hybrid I think.

I actually like the 1.4T. Superior gas mileage and my engine/transmission has been smooth through 4 years, going on 5. Never found myself in a situation where I lacked the power I needed.
Part of bidens infrastructure plan is charging stations along the highways.

And 15 minute charge times are under development. But will take time.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah to add onto what you're saying @snowwy66 it will but by then who knows, we might have another anti environmentalist in office. sigh

Look ( this goes for all American made cars) GM would have done better to make a better car in the gen 1. This goes back to the cobalt and cavalier before that. They weren't great cars and the competition was making better vehicles. It's not being mean or inflammatory, it's just how it is. We got lazy and that's in the past now. However they learned a lot from those mistakes and the current fleet was a lot better and largely competed with the best in class out there. BUT, and this is a big but, the failure of the gen 2 (and lots of other compact gas efficient vehicles) was largely political imo. We'll see what happens in 4 years.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts