Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question for anyone...

Inside the dash and behind the glovebox is equipment of a long box with a plastic mesh screen in the front and over the top of it. Does anyone know what this piece of equipment is?

Lousy picture. too close. It's actually as long as the glove box.
GM Part Number (which doesn't break out to anything) 13436591. Under that it says 6591U and under that: DUNS 786658976

I tried GM and AC Delco part number look ups and nothing shows up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you. Just found that out by watching a U-Tube video of someone changing the cabin air filter on a Cruze.

The reason I was asking is that I found twigs and leaves in the glovebox and when I took the glovebox out, I could see a pile of wood, paper leaves, fuzz and insulation stuck in that box. I took the cabin air filter and and ....well you can see what I found in the picture below. Some $%*&!#$# creature has built a home inside the box that houses the air filter. To Bostonboy, I stuck my hand inside and down to the bottom of the box and it's inches thick so a vacuum cleaner wont' get to the bottom. That pile you see is probably 1/4 of all the crap that's inside the box. Gonna drop into the dealer tomorrow and let them take the whole thing out, find out where the creature is coming in and plug it up. I had just replaced the gas tank because some creature ate the tubes and wires on top of the tank and the whole thing had to be replaced at $1400. I only have to pay $50 deductible for non-collision damage.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Thank you. Just found that out by watching a U-Tube video of someone changing the cabin air filter on a Cruze.

The reason I was asking is that I found twigs and leaves in the glovebox and when I took the glovebox out, I could see a pile of wood, paper leaves, fuzz and insulation stuck in that box. I took the cabin air filter and and ....well you can see what I found in the picture below. Some $%*&!#$# creature has built a home inside the box that houses the air filter. To Bostonboy, I stuck my hand inside and down to the bottom of the box and it's inches thick so a vacuum cleaner wont' get to the bottom. That pile you see is probably 1/4 of all the crap that's inside the box. Gonna drop into the dealer tomorrow and let them take the whole thing out, find out where the creature is coming in and plug it up. I had just replaced the gas tank because some creature ate the tubes and wires on top of the tank and the whole thing had to be replaced at $1400. I only have to pay $50 deductible for non-collision damage.

That looks like someone was living in there.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just vacuumed mine out this weekend & it looked good one small leaf but over all very good but my car only has 15,000 on her & in a garage most the time too

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our only has 22,000 but it lives outside. My cars take up the garage spaces. The Cruze is really the wife's. :grin:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone who might be interested: I took the Cruze to the dealer this morning. Went to the Service Advisor that I worked with when they replaced the fuel tank because of the rodent. She couldn't believe it when I showed her what I pulled out of the cabin air filter and immediately called the tech who worked on it before and they started working on it. Went home and got a call later that after noon. They got into the dash and found that this time the rodent chewed the cabin air filter box, the evaporator and gnawed on some wires. The whole dash has to come out to make sure all the damage is found. Called my insurance company and they are sending someone over to the dealer to see what he can for myself (they did that last time) and then they OK the work to be done. Another $50 deductible for me and they will have the car for at least till next Wednesday/Thursday IF they can all the parts that are needed.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Anyone who might be interested: I took the Cruze to the dealer this morning. Went to the Service Advisor that I worked with when they replaced the fuel tank because of the rodent. She couldn't believe it when I showed her what I pulled out of the cabin air filter and immediately called the tech who worked on it before and they started working on it. Went home and got a call later that after noon. They got into the dash and found that this time the rodent chewed the cabin air filter box, the evaporator and gnawed on some wires. The whole dash has to come out to make sure all the damage is found. Called my insurance company and they are sending someone over to the dealer to see what he can for myself (they did that last time) and then they OK the work to be done. Another $50 deductible for me and they will have the car for at least till next Wednesday/Thursday IF they can all the parts that are needed.
Wow! That's crazy! I hope they can get it all figured out, fixed, and put back together! Hopefully the dash doesn't develop the annoying squeaks and rattles afterwards! Perhaps you should be there to take some before and after pictures? Maybe the guy working on it would be willing to take some for you?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Common issue. Usually they just go after the wiring in the engine bay buy they can migrate into the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts