Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Whats everyones mpg's?

32990 Views 67 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  Newbiecruzer
Hey guys! New to chevy and the cruze world, pretty familiar with diesels in general though. I've had a couple mechanical injection vw's and most recently rebuilt a vw 1.9l mechanical injection engine and swapped it into my samurai. This is my first computer controlled direct injection engine and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Its not the exact car I wanted (white, hatch, diesel with mt with brown leather) but its one of the 3 manual diesels available in the province. On Friday I grabbed a 2017 cruze diesel lt with the 6 speed manual. Its the silver ice metallic with black leather interior. Until about month ago I had no idea chevy had a diesel sedan and went with it over vw mainly because of the 0% financing and that vw doesn't have any new tdi's.

So far I love the car, the electronic throttle takes a bit of getting used to and the clutch has a bit of a different feel to it but the power and economy it makes are amazing for what it is. It has way more power and is way quieter then the old mechanical vw's. The one I just built for my samurai has a 4bt turbo and a performance injection pump and its probably making around the same power but its nowhere near as refined. Its loud and shakes like crazy. I'm not too impressed with the transmission, it rides alright but I feel the gearing (mainly 6th) is off and feel like the shift light is constantly blinking at me. I've got just under 1000km on it and I filled up for the first time the other day. I got 850km to 44l which puts it just under 5.2l/100km and means the dash display was right on with its estimate. 5.2l is about 45mpg which is pretty good as I had a decent mix of city and highway driving. I'm just curious what kind of mpg everyone is seeing per tank in the real world? I'm also curious how many km's it takes for the engine to break in and if there would be any noticeable economy increase at that point?

Anyways here's my cruze the first night I got it
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Mid-size car

and here is a pic from the dealer
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Mid-size car

No real plans to modify it much. Maybe upgrade the headlights to HID's, get the dealer to install some fogs, and when the warranty runs out I'll delete all the emissions crap and throw a tune on it. Would love it if someone brings a plug in piggyback ecu to market that wouldn't effect the warranty!
See less
Reactions: Cruze2.0TD
Hey guys! New to chevy and the cruze world, pretty familiar with diesels in general though. I've had a couple mechanical injection vw's and most recently rebuilt a vw 1.9l mechanical injection engine and swapped it into my samurai. This is my first computer controlled direct injection engine and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Its not the exact car I wanted (white, hatch, diesel with mt with brown leather) but its one of the 3 manual diesels available in the province. On Friday I grabbed a...
See more
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
I've had my 2017 CTD Manual for almost three months and I'll reach 12K miles this week. My overall average so far is 52.4 MPG (hand calculated with love). As others have mentioned, my DIC reads low on average by 5% (i.e., when it says 50.0 MPG, I'm actually getting 52.5 MPG). This does not bother me in the least. My best tankful so far has been 57.27 MPG. Most of my driving is freeway, so that makes sense, though my worst tankful was 47.00 MPG (the second fill-up from new), and again, this does not bother me in the least.

This week, I'll likely get another DEF fill, as I'm at 19% remaining on the Diesel Exhaust Fluid Level readout in the DIC (Driver Info Center, for those averse to acronyms), and about 200 miles ago, the car said I have 1000 miles before a DEF refill is needed. I'm driving about 600 miles tomorrow, so I may try filling DEF "at the pump" at a truck stop on the way to Nebraska from St. Louis, MO. This will be my third DEF fill. I'm keeping a ridiculously geeky and detailed spreadsheet for Fuel and DEF fills and costs. Because I can, I guess!

I still love the car, and the dash rattle has abated somewhat, so even that's getting better with age. I hope that the MPG do as well!

Reactions: Rivergoer

· Registered
4 Posts
New to the site, but I Just got my 2017 diesel (kinetic blue) 2 days ago, flew out to Alabama and drive it back to kansas. Topped it off in Huntsville, Alabama, and then drove an average of 70 mph. And kept driving. 530 miles later, I couldnt sit any more, and stopped to fill it. Average? 62 mpg. Used a few mileage tricks I figured out in the latter parts of the drive, and after another 250 miles or so, averaged 68. All said and done, I made it from Alabama to western Kansas on 15 gallons of fuel. My computer seems a bit pessimistic as well, as it was always lower than the measured values.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
my 2015 1.4l 6 speed 1LT from just over 1000 miles trip is at 36.8MPG, put a k&n intake kit on around 300-500 miles ago and it seems to just keep going up as long as im not using the lead foot

how are these guys getting 50+ MPG???

advanced eco tune?

my car is bone stock except for the k&n

EDIT: Whoops clicked on this from one of the main pages didnt notice till now this was in the diesel subsection LOL
I did the same thing due to the fact that several other gassers already chimed in. I'm 50+ without a tune anyways. Just stay off the freeway. Rural highways(55mph) are how I manage 50s that and using torque app. I keep it out of boost and under 75% load. Seems to work well since I lost somewhere between 3-5 mpg going with non LRR replacement tires. 50$ used set of tires 3/4 tread can't go wrong.
Make sure you run it a bit hard every once and a while. Keeping the turbo out of boost all the time will eventually cause the vanes to seize.

· Registered
157 Posts
For cruze diesel, looks like we need to subtract about "2" from every reported mpg, in order to account for the mpg of the DEF. Otherwise it is not a fair comparison against the gassers, if we omit the DEF fuel that is very required in the diesel!

· Registered
61 Posts
For cruze diesel, looks like we need to subtract about "2" from every reported mpg, in order to account for the mpg of the DEF. Otherwise it is not a fair comparison against the gassers, if we omit the DEF fuel that is very required in the diesel!
That seems a bit over the top. In 4 years/60,000 miles of ownership of my Gen1 Diesel I bought 2 jugs of DEF for it from the local farm supply store. Total cost for both was maybe $20. I probably spent about that on Powersave anti-gel additive for the cold months over that same time period. Unless the Gen2 has a much higher DEF consumption rate, it's probably a few cents per tank at most.

· Registered
2,992 Posts
def jug is good for 7500 miles, def jug costs <$20

so .25 cents a mile

assume 2.70 gallon
assume 38 mpg

so 7 cents a mile for diesel cost and 7.25 cents for fuel/def per mile

its so incredibly minor a cost.

· Registered
2,992 Posts
That seems a bit over the top. In 4 years/60,000 miles of ownership of my Gen1 Diesel I bought 2 jugs of DEF for it from the local farm supply store. Total cost for both was maybe $20. I probably spent about that on Powersave anti-gel additive for the cold months over that same time period. Unless the Gen2 has a much higher DEF consumption rate, it's probably a few cents per tank at most.
are u including the free fillups from your free oil changes?

· Registered
61 Posts
Honestly I can't recall if the free changes included DEF. They probably did as I didn't buy any until year 2 of ownership. I know they didn't fill it with the paid changes. Also I did have the DEF pump fixed under warranty and they had to refill it then. So that probably added some range. I paid < $10 for the DEF on sale at Mills Fleet Farm. It was a box with a pull out spout. Seems like I got way more than 7500 miles out of a container. I only bought two in the time I owned it. My driving is 99% highway, but I don't know if DEF consumption is fixed or varies with driving style. I never paid attention to it unless the DIC was complaining about needing more.

· Registered
2,992 Posts
Honestly I can't recall if the free changes included DEF. They probably did as I didn't buy any until year 2 of ownership. I know they didn't fill it with the paid changes. Also I did have the DEF pump fixed under warranty and they had to refill it then. So that probably added some range. I paid < $10 for the DEF on sale at Mills Fleet Farm. It was a box with a pull out spout. Seems like I got way more than 7500 miles out of a container. I only bought two in the time I owned it. My driving is 99% highway, but I don't know if DEF consumption is fixed or varies with driving style. I never paid attention to it unless the DIC was complaining about needing more.
def was offered free with the 4 oil changes in usa

def was not offered in with the 4 oil changes in canada.

def consumption is 100% tied to mpg, driving style and outside temperature.

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I’ve read and re-read this statement, not understanding at all...please clarify.

What does DEF have to do with MPG reporting? Why “subtract about “2” from every reported mpg”?

· Registered
61 Posts
I took that to mean to compensate for the cost of the DEF.

Boraz thank you for the information. I honestly had never done any research on how DEF is consumed. Honestly I never gave much thought to the cost because it was cheap and rarely needed it.

· Registered
132 Posts
Calling diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) a "fuel" isn't quite as accurate as referring to it as an expendable or consumption item. Yes, it does slightly increase the cost per mile driven in consumables but not much. If you really wanted to see the difference in operating costs per mile driven, you'd also want to consider differences in depreciation, insurance costs, etc. between a gas and diesel Cruze along with the consumables to get a true cost of ownership.

While it would be a touch less expensive if you didn't have to top off DEF once or twice an oil change, by using it GM was able to meet the emission requirements needed to sell this car. Without DEF there would be no North American diesel Cruze. It runs clean and still gets great mileage so I'll live with it.

def jug is good for 7500 miles, def jug costs <$20

so .25 cents a mile

its so incredibly minor a cost.
Calculating 7500 miles for $20 in DEF would be $0.0027 of DEF used per mile, so even more incredibly less. :)

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.